SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  New Members Introduction    Recently re-energized interest
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recently re-energized interest Login/Join 
posted
Hey folks.

I'm a long time SIG pistol owner. I've owned a 229 and a 232 for decades both pre-buy out. I loved my 229, but sold it because it was too bulky to carry. I bought the 232 with the funds from that and have carried it since.

I am currently back into firearms after a long hiatus when my crappy Mini-30 and unbelievably grungy surplus russian tracer ammo caused a failure that just killed my interest in the discipline. I now have young sons, a great wife, and increasingly obvious wealth to protect, not to mention nearly constant attacks on Free Speech and Liberty which to fear. Couple that with my Dad finally getting me to "repair" that Mini and I feel reinvigorated.

I am currently assessing my collection with a much more mature, reasonable, asset and utility concerned, frame of mind. I have a number of firearms, but all them serve no reasonable function. I mean yes, my M1 Garand will put big holes in stuff, but it's not exactly practical next to modern weapons.

I am looking to fill what I call the Seven Needs that I define as:

1) Home Defense
2) Personal Defense - Normal Clothing
3) Personal Defense - Deep Conceal
4) Shotgun
5) Sporting Rifle
6) Hunting Rifle
7) SHTF Rifle

I am looking to fill the above roles with as few guns as possible. Right now, I feel as if even with all these guns, most of them I consider curios (Enfield No. 4, Garand) or next to useless, (Mini-30 from the shitty years with a ruined barrel), I have no role reasoably filled, except maybe 4, but that's by a piece of junk 870 Express.

I love my 232, but it's a gigantic thing and my effort in carrying it rewards me with only eight rounds of .380. Without a rail, it can only conceviably fill roll 2 above.

So, anyway, I'm rambling. I recently impulse bought an LCP II, after hemming and hawing over it, the 238, 938 and the Springfrield XD Mod 2 sub 9mm. Wow, was that a fucking mistake. It is currently en route to Ruger after malfunctions in 9 of 12 magazines. What a piece. Of. Crap.

I'm seriously considering an MCX Pistol in .300 to fulfill roles 1, 5, 6 and 7 above. But with all the problems that the MCX platform seems to be having, plus the apparently eternal vaproware nature of barrel kits, I'm not yet sold.

And that, after all this non-sense, is what has led me to this forum. I need to talk out some purchases and get some info from people who actully OWN these things (238, 938, M400 Pistol, MCX, MPX) and use them. I spent months researching these new breed of tiny carry pistols, but it was all YouTube and print media. It directly led to my purcahse of that LCP II which could have gotten me killed if I trusted it out of the box.

Things I'm considering, not necessarily in order or in exclusivity:

A) Sell my 232
B) Buy a 238 / 938 / XD Mod.2 Sub 9mm
C) Waiting for the Bond Bullpup
D) MCX Pistol in .300 / Barrel kit in 7.62 if it isn't fantasy
E) MPX (which actually IS legal to hunt with in Washington, but would leave me queasy in practice)
F) Waiting for the MDR
G) Waiting for the Kel Tec RDB to be made in a real caliber and go through enough interations that it doesn't constantly fall apart

I should shut up. My mind is just awash with different strategies and acquisitions concepts. It's kind of fun, but taxing. I've been going round and round with this crap in my head for months.

Cheers folks,

navajas

Posts: 13 | Registered: February 17, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi, from Ohio.
Of the ones you posted about, My wife has a P238. So far it has been a great little pistol. It replaced an unreliable Colt Mustang.
We both like the 238 and both carry it from time to time. It is my wife's carry gun, but I sometimes do depending on how I am dressed and where I am going. My son has a 938. Not sure how much he carries it? He never says, but he loves the gun. He has others, so not sure if he carries it.
I would put that same post on the Sig pistols thread and you will get some serious answers.
I can tell you about ARs if you need to know anything. I also have a mini that has been stellar for me and is very accurate too.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member
BFA Member

Posts: 1583 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Actually, I should have added another idea I'm still somewhat kicking around and that is sending my Mini into Accuracy Systems and getting completely tricked out, new barrel, stock, trigger. After all that it would ring up around the same cost bracket as an M400 or I could reach a bit and get the MCX. Like I said I go round and round.

What year is your Mini? 14 or 30?

Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Cool. If you are looking at the P238, consider the HD model. It comes as a stainless frame and a treat to shoot. Surprisingly accurate for such a small firearm. I suppose I have to also say that I have a Desert Eagle for home defense, but it does not make a good carry piece. Big Grin

My other Sig is a Steyr...

Posts: 2314 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fyimo
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the forum from Arkansas

Freedom Is Not Free And Is Paid For By Our Military.
VFW Member
NRA Life Member 042722999
SWCA

Posts: 8992 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: July 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:
Cool. If you are looking at the P238, consider the HD model. It comes as a stainless frame and a treat to shoot. Surprisingly accurate for such a small firearm. I suppose I have to also say that I have a Desert Eagle for home defense, but it does not make a good carry piece. Big Grin

Yeah, I shot the 938 really well and I imagine the 238 would be no different. I had settled on the XD Mod. 2 Sub because it felt so great, massive capacity, not a Glock, etc... It was precise enough and I thought, yeah, that group is just fine.

Then I borrowed the 938 and proceeded to tear up just one big hole with it. SIGs just seem to suit me. Now, I probably will go with the XD for my "big" carry gun, but the 238/938 is still in high contention for my deep conceal piece. Must say those breaking pins bug me though.

posted Hide Post
Well, bought that Mod. 2 Sub 9mm today. Still contemplating the MCX Pistol.

posted Hide Post
But, in the end, decided to hell with it, and am just building my own. I'll post pictures in the rifle forum I guess if anyone cares. Did go with a SIG brace though!

Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Right now you can get a M&P Shield with the rebate for around $250 and check #1-3 off for very little money.
It's easy to overthink these things. Having something that's close is better than trying to find the perfect solution, that really doesn't exist, and changes over time.
AR's are pretty cheap now too so get a quality basic gun. You can always add various doodads later

Posts: 3404 | Location: North GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post