SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  New Members Introduction    New member from South Africa
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New member from South Africa Login/Join 
posted
Hi all

Didn't see any restrictions on memberships from other countries, so decided to join, hope its not an issue.

Maybe also interesting to members to get some perspectives from Sig owners elsewhere?

I got a Sig P220 9mm (European model) as a 21st birthday present from my father many, many years ago. At that time I had a choice between a Walther P38 and the Sig, and chose the Sig, much to everyone's surprise. The Sig was not a well known entity then, there were a few P210s around, but they were scarce.

Ergonomically the Sig suits me perfectly. And as a lefty, the bottom slide release don't really bother me much at all. Of course, the magazine doesn't hold that much either but I was fortunate to find another one (it only came boxed with one, by the way) - they seem to be as scarce as hens teeth. If anyone has spare magazines for a P220 9mm bottom release lying around & can be convinced to sell, I will surely be interested!

When traveling etc I normally carry a Glock 26 with two spare magazines - loaded with Hornady Critical Defense - but am not too much in love with it. Its also an excellent pistol - but its just not my old Sig :-) But then, the Sig is not that easy to conceal.

I think its mostly a trust thing - with the Sig I know it will just work, instinctive aiming is spot on, and its very, very accurate. Not to mention that I can just feed it with whatever ammo is lying around, no problem.

In the early years Sigs were virtually unheard of here, but lately they seem to have taken off, with the P226 and now the P320 quite popular.

Will upload a few pics for those interested in an early West German 9mm P220, all original & in an overall very good condition (if permission is granted to upload pics!)

Posts: 4 | Location: Pretoria, South Africa | Registered: March 14, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Welcome from warm/sunny California
I have to ask, are there special laws in South Africa to carry?

Posts: 46 | Registered: February 19, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
Welcome!

We have absolutely no restrictions on membership and participation from other countries. In fact, you're about to get peppered with questions about gun laws and the shooting sports in SA, so I might as well get started...

What are the gun laws like in SA? How about the shooting sports?

Big Grin

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 13860 | Location: Maryland | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Welcome from South Carolina.

Posts: 1321 | Location: Fountain Inn SC | Registered: April 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
Welcome from Virginia. Enjoy the forum!

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 12279 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
Greetings. One of my current students is from Pretoria. Nice to have you here.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 17458 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the forum. We are glad you are here.

The P220 is one of my favorites also.

My other Sig is a Steyr...

Posts: 2017 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BurtonRW:
Welcome!

We have absolutely no restrictions on membership and participation from other countries. In fact, you're about to get peppered with questions about gun laws and the shooting sports in SA, so I might as well get started...

What are the gun laws like in SA? How about the shooting sports?

Big Grin

Apologies about the late reply, blame the time difference :-)

Where do I start? Gun legislation used to be reasonable, but these days (since around 2000, in fact) its a mission getting a new firearm licence.

You are licensed according to category, e.g. self defense, sport shooting, collector, hunter, gun dealer etc. To get a licence, you have to jump through many loops, including competency tests and some membership proof of a rifle associations or sport shooting club, plus you have to have acceptable storage (built-in safe), have a motivation to need a weapon, which you need to substantiate on every point. So, if you want to become a hunter but never hunted you are not going to easily get a licence. And a hunter licence does not mean you will get a self-defense licence - you need both if you want both. If they think you do not need to defend yourself, you won't get a licence.

Licences are also gun specific, i.e. you cannot for example get a new barrel on the same licence as the numbers will differ. Once you have a licence, you are allowed to carry the weapon on you (and expected to if its not in the approved safe, if you loose it, big trouble).

Then, if successful, you have to jump through all these loops again as licences are time limited. For example, a licence for self defense is only valid for 5 years, for hunting 10 years, and so on.

Which all may seem reasonable from a helicopter perspective - after all, responsible gun ownership is a given - but up close, its a nightmare. This is essentially a third world country so the police (who administers the gun licensing system) are, lets put it delicately, not really up to the task, for a variety of reasons, ranging from administrative incompetence to political imperatives and ideals.

Of course, the overarching selling argument is that less guns means a safer society, which I think most reasonable people will agree is nonsense as criminals do not ascribe to the same values law abiding citizens do. So, only the criminals end up being armed. To give a truly bizarre example, when the new weapons legislation came into effect, there was a grace period within which to apply for new licences and/or forfeit existing weapons to the State (without compensation, by the way). Many people consequently forfeited legally held weapons, and lo and behold, many of these weapons then ended up in the hands of criminals. Where did they get it? From corrupt police officers, believe it or not. (See https://www.dailymaverick.co.z...s-and-right-wingers/) And that is only an example..

So, in practice, many law-abiding people simply do not even bother anymore applying for weapons licences, its just too onerous.

Which brings me to my own situation - fortunately, in implementing the new weapons legislation, a few critical constitutional rights were disregarded, which led to some court cases, and in practice it means that licences issued prior to the new legislation are still valid and did not lapse, for the moment. The powers that be are not very happy about that, and there are ongoing court cases (driven by the rifle association(s).

So for the time being I don't have to jump trough all these hoops... :-)

Otherwise most disciplines on the shooting sports side are still alive and well, especially also on the rifle side, and hunting has always almost been a way of life for many people and continues to thrive with excellent hunting opportunities both here and in the neighbouring countries (e.g. Namibia, Botswana, Zambia, Zimbabwe), as many forum members will no doubt attest to.

-Rob

Posts: 4 | Location: Pretoria, South Africa | Registered: March 14, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
All, thanks for the kind words of welcome, much appreciated :-)

Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
posted Hide Post
Howdy from Texas!

Lesk, glad you joined.

Thanks for sharing about South Africa.

Must be something to be a hunter and be able to travel to the next country for all the various game that is present.

The P220 in 9mm is pretty rare in the US. Some members here have them for sure.

Keep posting.

HK Ag

Posts: 2006 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lingham
posted Hide Post
Welkom en hoe gaan dit. From sunny Florida. My wife lived in Pretoria SA for 3 years.

GOD, Family, Country

Posts: 16 | Location: Florida | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cjevans
posted Hide Post
... welcome aboard!!!

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~ Benjamin Franklin.

Posts: 827 | Location: Kirkland, WA | Registered: February 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fyimo
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the forum from Arkansas

Freedom Is Not Free And Is Paid For By Our Military.
VFW Member
NRA Life Member 042722999
SWCA

Posts: 8932 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: July 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Welcome from Ohio

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member
BFA Member

Posts: 1004 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Welcome lesk!

Awesome to increase our international presence!

Jesse

A couple SIGs and a few others

Posts: 8052 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post