SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    Loading .38 Special
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Loading .38 Special Login/Join 
Averaging 6.3
posts per year
posted
Finally got my press re-mounted and I'm about ready to do some loading. I was working on getting set up for .38/.357 when Michael hit. I have .38spl brass, powder and dies - just need bullets. Have any bullet recommendations. Loading for 6" Ruger Blackhawk and S&W 642. Guess some .357mag suggestions wouldn't hurt either.

Thanks in advance.

Rick

Texting.......easier than calling.

Posts: 1365 | Location: P.C., FL - the emerald coast | Registered: September 15, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used to load a lot of lead bullets, but some time back, I switched over to loading plated bullets for both 38 Spec. and 357Mag. I purchase the 158gr plated Xtreme bullets with a cannalure. I don't load at the top end, and they do fine for me......and they are "clean" to load and shoot.

Posts: 6613 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You do not say how you want to use them. Self defense, plinking, target, hunting or? Maybe try a box of 100 each in 125 gn jhp and 158 gn jhp or whatever you can find right now to get you started.

Used to be a good shop in downtown P.C. maybe called C & C, they did carry reloading supplies.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Moved to N.W. MT. | Registered: April 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Averaging 6.3
posts per year
posted Hide Post
Good point..practice rounds. If I find a good load for the snubby - then maybe self defense as well.

C&G Sporting goods. Last time I was there they still carried reloading supplies. Haven't been there since the storm though.

Rick

Texting.......easier than calling.

Posts: 1365 | Location: P.C., FL - the emerald coast | Registered: September 15, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
125gr. RNFP - 130gr. FP from Kings Shooters Supply, SNS casting or Missouri Bullets. Coated or conventional lube. American Select or Unique powder.

Posts: 3144 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Lots of good choices, I’d look to a medium to faster powder. That could be Unique on the medium end to Titegroup, Bullseye on the fast end.

Win-231 as others are popular.

I’m also of the mindset that range or plinking loads can be used for defense if called for.

Posts: 6156 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
and this little pig said:
posted Hide Post
Just reloaded 250+ rounds of .38Spl yesterday. used with Bulleye powder and 125 gr HSM hollow points. This load works well in my snubbie, GP100, and Security Six!

Posts: 3399 | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I shoot hand cast 158 rnfp for all my 38 and 357...I also load 148 wad cutters for the 38.

I now powder coat them, so I don’t have to lube and they don’t leave leading.....

Use unique in both rounds, cause that’s what I have. But may have to figure out an AA#7 loading as I’m down to my last half pound of Unique and no one has any powders....

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11269 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You might try "Blue Bullets" poly coated cast bullets for target practice. I use them in both .38 special, +P, +P+ and .357. They are good and inexpensive.

I recently loaded some Speer 158 gr.JHP's in both cals from MIDWAYUSA. They turned out to be very accurate in my S&W 27-2 and outrageously accurate in my Henry BIG BOY.

I like H110 in .357 and Titegroup for .38.
I back-off from max loads to save wear and tear on my guns.

Posts: 42 | Location: Southeast Texas | Registered: July 31, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For .38 Special I have used 3.5 grains of Bullseye with a 158 grain "lead" bullet. According to an old Lyman manual I have it is listed as a "factory duplication load", about 826 f.p.s.

Over the past few years I have been using poly coated "Bad Man Bullets" or coated "Gallant" brand bullets. With both of these cleaning the bore & chambers is no where near what it was with plain lead bullets.

HTH.

Posts: 81 | Location: SW PA USA | Registered: January 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Double post

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Stroonz,

Posts: 394 | Location: Florida Gulf Coast | Registered: October 17, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
please ignore

Posts: 394 | Location: Florida Gulf Coast | Registered: October 17, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used to buy plated bullets for reloading; now I only use coated bullets. They are just as clean to handle, just as accurate and they leave no lead behind. Also, they are cheaper to buy than plated bullets. Cleaning your gun afterwards is a breeze.

In 38 it’s hard to beat coated 148gr double end wadcutters under a charge of Bullseye or TiteGroup powder.

posted Hide Post
Double post sorry

posted Hide Post
.38 spl is a slow, low-power cartrdige, which cries out for a cast bullet; I use coated bullets, these days mostly Blue Bullets. Bayou bullets are good, too. I've shot thousands before cleaning, and had no barrel deposits.

You also have the option of oversize bullets so that you can slug your barrel, determine what it needs, and order accordingly. You can also order in packs of 250 in different styles so you can get a variety of weights and bullets, and work up a load.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
I’ve been using these in various weights/bullet profile in several calibers...Donny Summers has a good product, price and shipping Smile...his regular cast bullets are great as well...I still cast and powdercoat/Hi-Tek my own but as good as his bullets are...I’ve just been buying from him when I need bullets for Cowboy Action Big Grin

https://summersenterprisesllc....45gr-358-500-ct-box/

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10584 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
For plated bullets I’ve been won over to these guys...especially in .300 BO...if in stock their pistol bullets Are GTG (pleased with 9MM offerings).

https://accuraoutdoors.com/

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10584 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That is my spot.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bisleyblackhawk:
https://summersenterprisesllc....45gr-358-500-ct-box/

Thanks for that one. Just placed my first order from him- ordered some 357 and 9mm. Hopefully not TOO swamped right now. It was a good $40 cheaper than the same from SNS which I almost ordered from since they are shipping pretty quickly right now. (Another good resource I didn't know about before this thread! so thanks to divil on that one too.)

ETA: SHIPPED 7/2!!!!! CRAZY when the places I usually order from are 4+ weeks

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BigNC,

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Ben Franklin

Posts: 2110 | Location: Rural Tallahassee, FL | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just an ACARS message
with feelings
Picture of qxsoup
posted Hide Post
Does no one shoot 130 GN.
FMJ anymore? That's all my wheel guns see.

220/229/228/226/P6/225/XO/SP2022/239

Posts: 3062 | Location: The Queen City (the one in Ohio) | Registered: May 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stroonz:

In 38 it’s hard to beat coated 148gr double end wadcutters under a charge of Bullseye or TiteGroup powder.
They’ll work even better if you load them OVER the charge. Wink

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3203 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post