SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    Loading .38 Special
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Loading .38 Special Login/Join 
Picture of cxm
posted Hide Post
A cast lead alloy 158gr +/- semi wad-cutter bullet is a good choice for general use.

The sharp shoulder cuts a clean hole in paper targets for ease of scoring and is a long time favorite bullet for self defense.

My long time favorite load with the 158gr bullet (LSWC or LRN) is 5.0 grains of Alliant Unique powder. This gives a fairly powerful load that is also extremely accurate. When I started loading ammo back almost 60 years ago this load was under the maximum in the reloading manuals. Today is is a bit over maximum listed in new manuals... I have loaded tens of thousands of rounds over the years with great satisfaction in the load... none-the-less you should work up to this load using the usual methods.

In use it feels about like a factory 158gr LRN load in terms of recoil.

For paper shooting nothing beats the very long time choice bulls eye shooters in the form of a 148gr full wad-cutter bullet (I like the 148gr double end cast wad-cutter.) Again I use the old time target shooters load of a 148gr LWC over 2.8gr of Alliant Bulls-Eye powder. This is a very accurate load with low recoil, which makes it an excellent choice for training new shooters too.

FWIW

Chuck

Hoist on High the Bonny Blue Flag that Bears the Single Star!!!

Certified SIG Armorer
Certified Glock Armorer

Posts: 1348 | Location: Florida, CSA | Registered: September 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post