SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    Has anyone worked up loads with CFE 223 for 308?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Has anyone worked up loads with CFE 223 for 308? Login/Join 
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted
A friend is looking for loads for his 308 with CFE 223 since Varget is perpetually hard to find. Hodgdon list one load in their guide.

Interested in what you found with any projectile.

Thanks,

RMD

This message has been edited. Last edited by: rduckwor,

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20303 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have used CFE for 155gr AMax projectiles in 308. It is 52.1gr. Very accurate and great for inside of 800yds.

WARNING!!!! This is over published max. But, developed load showed no signs of pressure.

It was used in a Accuracy Internation AE, 24" barrel. 2700fps.

Andrew

Duty is the sublimest word in the English Language - Gen Robert E Lee.

Posts: 861 | Registered: May 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Thanks. We follow a work-up procedure too and will be careful.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”

Posts: 20303 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've made loads for both with CFE. It is my preferred powder for semi-autos.

Posts: 8711 | Registered: January 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TRshootem
posted Hide Post
CFE works very well in .308. In my 20" bolt gun a 208 Amax averages around 2450 with some room to go up in the charge. I've settled on Varget and CFE with 178 Amax loads. I came across a fella who needed to move 30 boxes of 178's. They shoot exceptionally well in this barrel.

Posts: 1320 | Location: Montana | Registered: October 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TRshootem:
CFE works very well in .308. In my 20" bolt gun a 208 Amax averages around 2450 with some room to go up in the charge. I've settled on Varget and CFE with 178 Amax loads. I came across a fella who needed to move 30 boxes of 178's. They shoot exceptionally well in this barrel.

What charge do you like with the 208's?

Thanks,

RMD