SIGforum
How much does reloading cost? How much do you save?

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/840601935/m/9841050141

January 07, 2011, 10:40 PM
Sig Al
How much does reloading cost? How much do you save?
My reloads are usually 1/2 the price of the factory loaded ammo. Actually, even less since I compare my cost to Winchester White Box and I use better bullets. I could save a few extra pennies per round if I used plated bullets instead of jacketed. I can't bring myself to using Plated bullets. The savings is not much at all compared to jacketed. Another reason I like reloading my own is because I have the ability to load the rounds how I want them. I really like the entire reloading experience so that's a plus for me too. I never figure my time in the equation since it's a hobby that I enjoy.
January 09, 2011, 07:35 PM
mr-mom
Except for EDC, I shoot mostly my own reloads. At times I will purchase a box or two of something I want to try, if it is on sale. The primary reason I reload is not really so much the reduced per shot cost(although that is a factor), it's the fun, relaxation and confidence I receive from doing it and the satisfaction that comes from shooting your own stuff. In thousands of reloads I have yet to experience a failure, hickup or kaboom.......
mr-mom

"Put your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark." Lazarus Long - TIME ENOUGH FOR LOVE
February 17, 2011, 12:52 AM
Mr.EliteSig
I constantly jumble reloading in my mind....at least once a day(i shoot a lot, its a family thing.)

and my brothers swear its not worth reloading. does anyone have a current price list of what they paid for brass,bullets,powder,primers for .45 acp, and break down on price?
February 19, 2011, 08:27 PM
Hikingman
Based on pricing various 9mm loaded cartridges at the Gun Store, today...compared with buying the Winchester White Box of 100, I'm saving about 1/2. That mean that I can shoot approx. twice as many bullets for the same cost, if I make them.

Some say it's hardly worth it for 9mm, I say-do the math, and reload. If you think all your time is worth gold, or you'd rather watch football, buy factory ammo.

February 22, 2011, 01:05 PM
signoir
quote:
Originally posted by Mr.EliteSig:
I constantly jumble reloading in my mind....at least once a day(i shoot a lot, its a family thing.)

and my brothers swear its not worth reloading. does anyone have a current price list of what they paid for brass,bullets,powder,primers for .45 acp, and break down on price?

People reload for a variety of reasons...

1) To customize ammo for a specific purpose (e.g. hunting, target shooting, competition, plinking).
2) To have a hobby
3) To get the satisfaction of making your own ammo
4) To shoot ammo that's hard to get in your area (CA residents facing ammo restrictions take note)
5) To shoot more on the same budget
6) To save money

I do it for all of the above reasons. If the only reason that you will do it is for #6, you can count on the following - you will save at least 50% on practice ammo and more than that when reloading premium ammo or less popular ammo (i.e. ammo other than 9mm, 40S&W, 45ACP). How soon you recoup your investment in gear will depend on how much you shoot.

If any of the above reasons appeal to you and you have more time than money and you have the intial investment to spend, you should seriously consider reloading.

"When I held that gun in my hand, I felt a surge of power...like God must feel... when he's holding a gun!" H. Simpson.
February 22, 2011, 02:08 PM
fredj338
quote:
Originally posted by Mr.EliteSig:

Well, most that no nothing about reloading will say this. They price it out buying all new components @ the local gunshop. At that point, he is right, no savings. Consider you reuse the cases as many as 20X, buy primers & powder in bulk, like 5K primers & 4# of powder & 1K bullets, then you see actual cost of reloaded ammo about half of the cheapest stuff you can buy. Wink If your Bro doesn't think saving 50% on anything isn't worth it, man, I want to sell him some stuff.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: fredj338,

IF YOU AREN'T HANDLOADING, YOU AREN'T SHOOTING ENOUGH!
NRA Instruc: Basic Pistol & Met Reloading
February 22, 2011, 07:41 PM
kyledavidzim
For 40 s&w: $18 for 1lb of powder, $27 for 1000 primers, & $114 for 1000 FMJ bullets. I pick up my casings from the range and typically pick up what I shoot plus 100 extra casings. Total is $159 for 1000 rounds of 40 FMJ.

The big thing I learned is don't buy a cheap scale. I eventually bought a RCBS rangemaster 750 and have been pleased with it.
February 23, 2011, 04:54 AM
Mars_Attacks
When you are blasting through over 500 45LC a weekend, you have no choice but to reload.

If you have some oddball caliber like 7mm Jap or 303 Brit then there is really no other choice but to make your own.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.
February 23, 2011, 04:53 PM
Mr.EliteSig
I actually just found this guy selling 2 presses and some other stuff i might need, i plan on checking it out, i also made a thread on this forum in this reloading section, if you guys wanna chime in and help me out!
March 09, 2011, 07:29 PM
xl_target
If you're still hesitant, take a look at this online calculator: handgun cartridge reloading calculator
Price out the components, input the numbers into this calculator and it will show you how quickly you can pay for your reloading equipment.

Some people say that it is not worth reloading 9mm. I was in a Walmart today looking at ammo prices and WWB 9mm 115 gr FMJ was over $12 a box. I can reload for $6.85 a box (using Rainier 115 gr JHP).

Your savings go up significantly as the caliber size increases.
March 18, 2011, 11:40 PM
Banjo Man
These days, a LOT. My equipt. paid for it's self long ago. At todays prices You are making money if you shoot much at all. I can load a box of 50 for 3.50/4.00, for what I would have to pay 22.00 to 45.00 for . I was just pricing ammo today. Frown I stocked up on most components way before I retired-- for once I did something right. Smile
March 23, 2011, 08:08 PM
MBlades
I did a lot of research and decided for my needs the Lee Classic turret was going to be my best option. I know Lee gets a lot of bad press but I think most of that is directed to their lower price aluminum presses. The Classic cast single stage and Classic Turret seem to get great reviews. I also ordered the lee auto prime and powder disk pro so I could preform all the actions on the press itself. I went with the lee carbide dies and an RCBS scale. I ordered the Lee stuff from Lee factory sales and got the scale from eBay. Including the bench (semi home made) and misc stuff like calipers I was up and running for less than $300.

Currently I only load for 9mm which offers perhaps the least amount of savings. However.....

X-treme plated 147gr bullets (1000ct): $79
Tula primers (1000ct): $16
Brass: Free
Win WSF $25.93/lb w/tax per 1000: $14.82

Thats $10.98 per 100. If I buy ammo locally the best I can do is Walmart Federal 115gr for $23.50 w/tax for 2 boxes of 50. This is by far the weakest and dirtiest ammo I've ever shot and rarely in stock. My favorite ammo available locally is Win NATO for ~$27.50 per 100. So I can load for a little less than half of what I can buy for. This is also with a 147gr bullet which is unavailable locally. I could cut my cost buy buying powder in bulk and/or switching to a less expensive powder and could trim a couple of dollars buy going to a 115gr bullet.

My whole reloading set up will have paid for itself in 2000 rounds of 9mm. I don't factor the opportunity cost in because I enjoy reloading and love trying different loads.

In conclusion reloading cost a shit ton of money. I started a couple weeks ago and now I shoot 2x as often and 2x the ammo every trip. I save nothing.
March 23, 2011, 09:10 PM
rburg
quote:
Originally posted by MBlades:
I shoot 2x as often and 2x the ammo every trip. I save nothing.

Now we're starting to get the truth.

The only additional advantage is you always have ammo when you want it. If you don't, its because you aren't spending enough time on the press.

Unhappy ammo seeker
March 24, 2011, 06:12 AM
Eric M.
MBlades,

You can't go wrong with a Lee Classic Turret Press.
I have reloaded thousands of .45's,9mm, and 40's with not a hiccup with mine. I have a set of the disks, but exclusively use the adjustable charge bar with no problems.
Nice choice in the Lee Classic. You will be very happy with it.

Eric

NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
DNR Certified Firearms Instructor
NRA Life Member
March 25, 2011, 12:21 PM
MBlades
quote:
Originally posted by Eric M.:
MBlades,

I have reloaded thousands of .45's,9mm, and 40's with not a hiccup with mine. I have a set of the disks, but exclusively use the adjustable charge bar with no problems.

Eric

I feel like I made a good decision. I can crank out ammo at a good speed while still double checking the powder charge and OAL every few rounds.

I think I'm going to get the charge bar also. The disks have thrown very very consistent charges but the only down side is I cant chose what they are. With WSF I can get 4.0, 4.4, 4.8gr but if I want say 4.6 there is no way to get it.
March 25, 2011, 03:55 PM
fredj338
quote:
quote:
MBlades,

Eric

I feel like I made a good decision. I can crank out ammo at a good speed while still double checking the powder charge and OAL every few rounds.

I think I'm going to get the charge bar also. The disks have thrown very very consistent charges but the only down side is I cant chose what they are. With WSF I can get 4.0, 4.4, 4.8gr but if I want say 4.6 there is no way to get it.

SOme guys have gotten extra disks & then sanded them off to get the desired powder charge. An adjsutable measure is certainly easier though.

IF YOU AREN'T HANDLOADING, YOU AREN'T SHOOTING ENOUGH!
NRA Instruc: Basic Pistol & Met Reloading
March 25, 2011, 09:02 PM
Eric M.
This afternoon, I switched my Lee Classic from .45acp to 9mm.
I was reloading my 9's within 15 min.

Eric

NRA Life Member
March 25, 2011, 09:12 PM
MBlades
quote:
Originally posted by fredj338:
quote:
quote:
MBlades,

Eric

SOme guys have gotten extra disks & then sanded them off to get the desired powder charge. An adjsutable measure is certainly easier though.

Thats a good idea too. Only problem I'm still in the experimentation process. If I ream out the 4.4gr hole to 4.6 then I'm stuck with that.

quote:
This afternoon, I switched my Lee Classic from .45acp to 9mm.
I was reloading my 9's within 15 min.

Eric

Do you swap out the dies or do you have extra turrets?
March 26, 2011, 07:02 AM
Eric M.
I have an extra turret, but find that it is just as fast unscrewing them, and putting the new one in.
Even with the extra turret, you have to unscrew the powder container from the flaring die.

Eric

NRA Life Member
March 27, 2011, 09:04 PM
Hoytshooter
I also have a Lee Turret press on which I primarily load 45acp and 45LC, also do some 44sp. I bought two heads so I can have both sets of dies sit up and ready to go just by switching heads and case holders. To make things even quicker I also put separate powder measures on each head.

Now that I've started seriously shooting 9mm, just got a P226E2, I'm debating about getting a progressive press and trying to decide which to get the Lee Loadmaster or a Dillon RL550B. Problem with the Dillon is it will cost me almost the price of a whole new press to get caliber conversion kits.