SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    44 special with heavy bullets
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

44 special with heavy bullets Login/Join 
posted
Guys I have some 285 grain swc in 44 cal. None of my manuals show loads with bullets that heavy. Anybody have a load? Don't care for hot loads, just trying use bullets I already have.
Thanks

Posts: 207 | Location: Baconton,GA. | Registered: April 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
I dug out an old book from 67 on the special.
Heavy bullet weight it list is 250 gas check.
It list Bulleye,unique,2400,sr4756,imr4227.

i use 2400 for fifty years in 357&44 .The start charge for the 250 gc is 12.5 up to 17.5.
Seems to me you should start lower with the heavier bullet by 10% and work up.
That is a gas check bullet.
If gun is a rugar it is built like a tank and should handle ,other brand maybe not.

Posts: 22409 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
There may be a way to use them, but with little data available, why bother?

You can maybe trade them off, or use with a different loading of muzzle-loader? I've had bullets I didn't care for & traded them off if it was something I'd likely not use.

Posts: 6156 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. 45 cal I was thinking along those lines, but I don't like jumping off into the unknown.

Posts: 207 | Location: Baconton,GA. | Registered: April 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post