SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    Anyone Here Reload for a SIG PE/Stgw 57?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone Here Reload for a SIG PE/Stgw 57? Login/Join 
Picture of MG34_Dan
posted
I'm cross posting this on a few boards hoping to find a knowledgeable individual.

It seems that all the info I have seen for 7.5 Swiss ammo is for a K31. Does anyone here reload 7.5x55 for a SIG PE57? I ran into an issue with my reloads in a PE57. I followed the load recommendations and cartridge overall length specifications (3.04" - 3.06") as published in various reloading manuals. The problem I'm having has to do with using Hornady 168gr HPBT match bullets. My loaded ammo is too long to chamber in my PE57. What is the correct OAL when using these bullets?

“Elections have consequences, and at the end of the day, I won.”
– Barack Hussein Obama, January 23, 2009

Posts: 2190 | Location: Austin Texas USA | Registered: February 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I would investigate a method to measure where any particular bullet touches the ‘lands’ at what COL. Once that length is known, you can look at book & magazine COL limits, adjust as needed.

I have seen two guns made by the same Co(Savage 110 30-06) have different(slightly) COL max lengths. So even if someone offered a measurement, there may be slight differences from your gun.

Without a tool, you could experiment, Black marker, various lengths, & see where you touch. That’s the ‘shade tree’ method. One danger with loads to long is a bullet stuck in the bore as you unload a long round.

Posts: 6156 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MG34_Dan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sourdough44:
I would investigate a method to measure where any particular bullet touches the ‘lands’ at what COL. Once that length is known, you can look at book & magazine COL limits, adjust as needed.

I have seen two guns made by the same Co(Savage 110 30-06) have different(slightly) COL max lengths. So even if someone offered a measurement, there may be slight differences from your gun.
Without a tool, you could experiment, Black marker, various lengths, & see where you touch. That’s the ‘shade tree’ method. One danger with loads to long is a bullet stuck in the bore as you unload a long round.

Here are some pictures for clarification:

Reload round on left, GP11 on right (both have same cartridge overall length)

Bullet ogive comparison, reload on left, GP11 on right

Reload striking chamber throat

Non-verified seating depth for Hornady 168gr HPBT (seems quite deep to me)

“Elections have consequences, and at the end of the day, I won.”
– Barack Hussein Obama, January 23, 2009

Posts: 2190 | Location: Austin Texas USA | Registered: February 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hornady seems to design their bullets with full diameter carried farther forward than some other brands, then a sharper nose angle. I have had your problem with several calibers. Try the same OAL using Sierra, or Nosler bullets, I think that will fix the problem.

Posts: 1642 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: June 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Yes, that bullet on the left reaches full size closer to the tip, obviously.

That’s the reason it’s fairly common practice to measure to stay a tad off the lands.

Posts: 6156 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post