SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    CCI Primers - tight fit.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

CCI Primers - tight fit. Login/Join 
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted
I just put 300 CCI small pistol magnum primers into a variety of cases. Segregated by lots of 50. I did clean the pockets.

These primers were a few years old.

They were tight fits in some of the cases, almost tighter than my Lee Auto Prime II could handle.

I have used CCI for a long time, but don't remember this problem. Any thoughts? Just some tighter pockets?

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53116 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have found that S&B brass has tight primer pockets.
With brass that has been reloaded too many times the primer pockets are loose.

PC

Posts: 1328 | Location: NW Wyoming | Registered: November 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
I ran into that with small rifle last year.
Brass was all mil same year and thoroughly worked.
The cci were several years [like 10] old .
New brick.
The next K I loaded was just perfect.
That whole brick that kept giving problems also gave problems in the dillon primer tube with dragging and hanging ups.
To be honest I have also had it happen with Winchester ones on 06 loadings.
upon inspection of these I think it is dull dies that punch the primer cups and with dull tools heads it rags the edges of the cups.

Posts: 22407 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PCWyoming:
I have found that S&B brass has tight primer pockets.

PC

The very first thing I thought as well...

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11016 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Didn't I see somewhere that Dillon did not recommend using CCI primers on their machines?

Wonder why?

I load CCI and Wolf for rifle and the Wolf are the tougher to seat of the two.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20291 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rduckwor:
Didn't I see somewhere that Dillon did not recommend using CCI primers on their machines?

Wonder why?

RMD

I thought that was for federals and only ten in tube at a time.

Posts: 22407 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 45 Cal:

I thought that was for federals and only ten in tube at a time.

That makes sense as Federal primers have the reputation of being sensitive. I have seen some suggestion that CCIs are not preferred, but I don't see anything definitive on that.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53116 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
I hope it isn't Federal. I always loaded a full tray in the primer system.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20291 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
^
I do the same,when that was all I had .
I have a bunch in backstock now and will not use as long as I have cci's
The federal are a royal pain in the ass to get into the flip tray for the 550 Dillon.
They also take up way too much room in the ammo cans I stow my backstock in

posted Hide Post
No problems with current manuf. CCI 500's in 9mm with a variety of commercial brass. That said, I routinely pitch S&B brass for priming problems with both Winchester Small Pistol, Federal and CCI on my Dillon 550b. Rod

5th Spl Forces, Air Force Bird Dog FAC, lll Corps RVN 69-70.... We enjoy the Bill of Rights by the sacrifices of our veterans;
Politicians, Preachers, Educators, Journalists and Community Organizers are beneficiaries, not defenders of our freedoms.

Posts: 725 | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Fishjager
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rduckwor:

Wonder why?

They tend to be out of round! Dillon told me that when I had a problem loading them in the tube on my RF100. They tend to warp the tube, and get stuck in it. I switched to Fiochi and the problem went away. Cheaper as well.

RMD

Posts: 1341 | Location: North of Seattle | Registered: April 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Back in the 1980s or 1990s CCI apparently ran a batch of primers that were slightly oversize and I could not get them to seat in my cases. I tried Winchester primers but they had stopped making "magnum" ones and didn't light my H110 loads well, so started using Federal. I've never gone back.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's not your primers. It's your brass.

Make sure you don't have any crimped military brass. Certain brands of brass have tighter primer pockets.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cxm
posted Hide Post
My Dillon 550B came with instructions that advised against using CCI primers. Apparently because of problems with inconsistent dimensions.

I have had problem with CCI primers being tight going back to the early 1970s... though I can't say I have a lot of experience with them because I switched brands when I first encountered the size problems...

Sure wish my all time fav primers were still available (ALCAN)... but I won't hold my breath on their coming back.

FWIW

Chuck

Hoist on High the Bonny Blue Flag that Bears the Single Star!!!

Certified SIG Armorer
Certified Glock Armorer

Posts: 1346 | Location: Florida, CSA | Registered: September 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post