SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    38/357 loading for 148grain wad cutters
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

38/357 loading for 148grain wad cutters Login/Join 
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted
Need help imaginary friends...

I got a Lee tumble load 148 grain wad cutter mold for my birthday and I need help finding a starting point.

I have the following powders and don’t plan on gettin more of a different kind, so bear with me:

Unique- at least two pounds on hand
AA No.7- about five pounds on hand
trailboss- two pounds on hand

I’ve been all over the internet and have searched but just am wondering in anyone has a load for :

38special

357mag (doesn’t have to meet magnum criteria)

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11268 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, the AA-7 is way too slow. Not sure about TB, it probably is too. Unique will work, but you will be better off getting some faster burning pistol powder. Bullseye is the long time standard for bullseye paper punching in 38 spl, Titegroup works well too. Where are you in NC, I have lots of that sort of thing, and never load 38 anymore. Oops! I see you are now in TX. Bit of a drive for a half can of powder, and not worth shipping. Bear in mind that the average charge for this will run around 3 -4 grains wt, so you will get about 2000 loads per pound.

Posts: 1642 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: June 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
I like between 4.5 to 5.5 grains of Unique. If you start downloading it much below that, it really gets dirty.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8212 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
I like between 4.5 to 5.5 grains of Unique. If you start downloading it much below that, it really gets dirty.
And if you load hotter than that you will get separation (cutting) of the bullet as it leaves the barrel--the solid front part and the hollow base tube will travel to the target individually, giving you 2 holes for one shot. (Ask me how I know . . . .) The 2 groups will typically be one above the other, about 2-3 inches apart.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
And if you load hotter than that you will get separation (cutting) of the bullet as it leaves the barrel--the solid front part and the hollow base tube will travel to the target individually, giving you 2 holes
for one shot. (Ask me how I know . . . .) The 2 groups will typically be one above the other, about 2-3 inches apart.

flashguy

Didn’t think that was a hollow base mold. But thanks for that, as I load some hbwc 38s.

“It's never too late to have a happy childhood.”
― Tom Robbins

Posts: 20 | Location: N. FL | Registered: January 18, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
Somewhat of a thread drift...I've cast and loaded a bunch of LEE tumble lube bullets over the years...mostly 200 grain .45 RNFP and 230 grain TC. I found straight LEE liquid Alox nasty sticky stuff...especially in the dies...I started using the Recluse 45% Alox-45% Johnson's Past Wax-10% oderless Mineral spirit mix and it greatly reduced the sticky feeling and reduced the waxy build up in the seating and crimping dies...never any sign of leading and a little goes a long way...

More info here...

http://castboolits.gunloads.co...e-Easy-amp-Mess-Free

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10584 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I see trail boss being usable for the 38 special I believe they list a load for a 148 wc

and I imagine it could also be used for a soft hitting .357 load, I see they are using it in some reduced power rifle cartridges

Give Hodgdon a call or check their web site

Sorry
I can not recommend a load because I use Clays or VV 320

RC

Posts: 1941 | Location: Indiana | Registered: March 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have been loading 357mag brass with 158gr plated bullet and Trail Boss powder.....I love this load. I am loading 4.4gr of Trail Boss with this bullet. You want to load a lighter weight bullet, so you would be safe using my powder load. The rounds burn clean, can't double charge the case, as the powder would spill out, and they are very comfortable to shoot in lightweight revolvers.....win-win.

Posts: 6612 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
For midlin 357 loads I’d use Unique. For the 38 spcl loads I’d look for some Win-231/HP-38 powder, or similar.

Posts: 6154 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RustyNut
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GT-40DOC:
I have been loading 357mag brass with 158gr plated bullet and Trail Boss powder.....I love this load. I am loading 4.4gr of Trail Boss with this bullet. You want to load a lighter weight bullet, so you would be safe using my powder load. The rounds burn clean, can't double charge the case, as the powder would spill out, and they are very comfortable to shoot in lightweight revolvers.....win-win.

Yup, same here with 158 & TB. Shoots to point of aim in a Ruger Blackhawk.

Posts: 37 | Location: MN USA | Registered: September 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
The classic is the wadcutter over 3 to 3.3 grains of Bullseye.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53120 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I cast 50 bullets yesterday. Today I loaded them up with 3.5 grains of Unique.

Hopefully, tomorrow I will see how they work.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11268 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
So, I tried them out in my:
6” python
4” WWII Victory model
2” Taurus 85

And 2” S&W model 60

It was super accurate!
Easy on the hand recoil wise on the two longer pistols. Bit of recoil on the two short ot barreled ones, surprisingly, the lightweight Taurus felt the better, must be the grips. The S&W has factory grips.

posted Hide Post
I used WW231 as my "
go to" .38 target/wadcutter load for years. Bullseye is also another excellent choice for the 148 classic.

"If you think everything's going to be alright, you don't understand the problem!"- Gutpile Charlie
"A man's got to know his limitations" - Harry Callahan

Posts: 9249 | Location: Indian Territory, USA | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
3.2 grains of red dot.

Posts: 3141 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
I always thought the Classic 148 gr WC load was 2.7 grs of BULLSEYE.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
MIke: I like Bullseye with full wadcutters, ('cause no other powder has given me comparable accuracy,)...in .357 brass, 4.0 grains gives me 2" groups at 25 yds from a pair of Model 19 Smith's, as well as a M27 and a pair of M66's. I'm estimating that load gives me 800 fps from a 4" bbl. Rod

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Rodfac,

5th Spl Forces, Air Force Bird Dog FAC, lll Corps RVN 69-70.... We enjoy the Bill of Rights by the sacrifices of our veterans;
Politicians, Preachers, Educators, Journalists and Community Organizers are beneficiaries, not defenders of our freedoms.

Posts: 726 | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of chansen92
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Gutpile Charlie:
I used WW231 as my "
go to" .38 target/wadcutter load for years. Bullseye is also another excellent choice for the 148 classic.[/QUOTE try AA#2 with 3grs of powder. For some reason 38 brass in 357 mag shoots very good with that load. I have used it in PPC and with very impressive results.

Posts: 1622 | Location: owosso,Mi. USA | Registered: August 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post