SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    5.56 Tracer Recipe?

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
5.56 Tracer Recipe? Login/Join 
Picture of Newf
posted
Looking for a good 5.56 tracer handload recipe (pulled 63gn M856 bullets). These will be through a Tavor so it's 1:7 twist should be able to stablizle the relatively longer/heavier round.

Posts: 920 | Location: Canada | Registered: June 05, 2015Report This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
If it were me, I'd start with the starting load data for a 77SMK, since the tracers are longer than a regular bullet of the same weight.

BUT - this is just a guess, and I'm not responsible, yata yata. But that's what I'd do.

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Report This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
My question is why,unless you are planning to burn up the shooting range or near by woods

Posts: 22409 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Report This Post
Picture of Newf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by exx1976:
If it were me, I'd start with the starting load data for a 77SMK, since the tracers are longer than a regular bullet of the same weight.

BUT - this is just a guess, and I'm not responsible, yata yata. But that's what I'd do.

Good idea, thanks.

quote:
Originally posted by 45 Cal:
My question is why,unless you are planning to burn up the shooting range or near by woods

We have a rocky (lol) range that allows it. Plus, like Mt. Everest, they're there Smile .

Posts: 920 | Location: Canada | Registered: June 05, 2015Report This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
As posted above, I would reference data from a loading of the same bullet weight or slightly heavier. If the bullet had a longer bearing surface that may have to be taken into account.

Just don't go right near any max. You may want to load test batches if looking for reliable cycling in an AR.

Posts: 6156 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Report This Post