SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    dillion new XL750
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

dillion new XL750 Login/Join 
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted
https://www.dillonprecision.co...oader_8_1_26745.html

Interesting upgrades primer station.

Posts: 5574 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
I wonder how many of those parts can be installed on a 650, or if any are really worth doing that.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17248 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hoping for better pharmaceuticals
Picture of AZSigs
posted Hide Post
I think if the XL650 is working well and you have worked out the kinks is there a reason to upgrade? That said, I will be looking at the price of an upgrade kit.

Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is. NRA Endowment Member . NRA instructor

Posts: 8752 | Location: Peoria, Arizona | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by XLT:
Interesting upgrades primer station.

I did not see anything in that link about upgrades to the primer system. Do you know what they did to improve it?

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
Wait, are they getting rid of the 650?

It's not under their presses section anymore, just the 750. For $100 more.

WTF? I hope they're not getting rid of the 650 since I was just about to get one, and it was already a budget stretch.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here's the skinny:

I just got off the phone with Dillon. Here's what I learned:

- The 750 is on the same frame/chassis as the 650, with a few places machined out differently for some tweaks. The big differences between the 650 and 750 are the priming system and how it indexes.

- The 750 uses a priming system more like the 550, with a sliding bar that will hold a live primer until a case is in the station (no more dumping live primers down the ski jump if there's no case present). And this system is also supposed to be safer, because there's more space/separation between the primer magazine and the primer in the station, reducing the possibility of a chain detonation.

- The 750's indexing is supposed to be slower to reduce /eliminate powder spillage. It's also supposed to use a roller bearing to make it smoother.

It also doesn't start turning the shell plate until a bit later in the stroke, to allow for longer cases to be used. (Those are the words of the Dillon sales guy). They've also supposedly redesigned the bearing surfaces to reduce the index ring (I think that's what he said?) breakage that the 650 has.

- Price is +$50 from the cost of an xl650.

- Sales guy said almost all 650 accessories will still be compatible (tool heads, roller handles, case feeders, etc will all still fit).

- 750 is supposed to start shipping next Thursday. When it does, 650 will still be supported (obviously) but will no longer be sold.

Andrew

Duty is the sublimest word in the English Language - Gen Robert E Lee.

Posts: 861 | Registered: May 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oat:
Early this week I read that they were still taking phone orders for the remaining 650s even though they are not on the www. Maybe they still have one.

quote:
And this system is also supposed to be safer, because there's more space/separation between the primer magazine and the primer in the station, reducing the possibility of a chain detonation.

Strange, the rotary primer feed was supposed to be a safety innovation over the sliding bar type. I don't think it was, which is probably why they are going to the 550 type.

Posts: 3278 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
I just talked to them and they said only through their dealers.

I found a local guy who has one, but I can't get there today, so I have to run to a gun show tomorrow and see if I can snag it from him.

I really wasn't ready to jump on this now, and I'm not sure the +$50 jump is enough to justify buying immediately.

I wonder if the Swage It 650 will be compatible. Because I really wanted one of those, and, of course, the 750 is a change to the priming system exactly where the Swage It 650 sits.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I grasp the concept of "$50 here, $50 there and, before long, you're talking about real money," but, for the $50 difference, I'd wait until I was ready and reap the benefits of the improved machine.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I say "hats off" to new designs and moving their products forward. Having said that, I have owned my 650 for a number of years, and have added "accessories" to various areas of this press, and am 100% happy with it. I see no need for me to upgrade.....if this is truly and upgrade. I have read many threads about folks having problems with the 550 priming system, but not so with the 650 system. I will just stay put with what I own currently.

Posts: 6601 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GT-40DOC:
I say "hats off" to new designs and moving their products forward. Having said that, I have owned my 650 for a number of years, and have added "accessories" to various areas of this press, and am 100% happy with it. I see no need for me to upgrade.....if this is truly and upgrade. I have read many threads about folks having problems with the 550 priming system, but not so with the 650 system. I will just stay put with what I own currently.

Having cursed the 550 priming system for years I wonder why they would try to emulate it on the 750. In truth though one needs a couple after market parts and measuring the height of the primer cup and replacing those parts periodically and it is passable. The aftermarket part I have extends the area that the primer bar slides over. Supports the whole length of travel. I think I got mine on Amazon. I am debating getting a 550 C before they go out of sight price-wise and would do that to eliminate going from small to large primers and vice versa. May be worth sending it in to Dillon to be tweaked ever 5 years or XX round count.

Posts: 1258 | Location: Duvall WA, USA | Registered: February 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
There are several 650 around here on the shelf if anyone is looking to get them before they are gone.
I have zero issues with my priming system on my 650 or any issues with the shell plate spinning out of control and spilling powder I guess it depends on how you have it adjusted. I haven't heard great things about the 550 primer system but I have never owned one of those just the 1050 super and the 650.

Time will tell if the 750 is a better machine. Knowing dillion I'm sure they will make it right

Posts: 5574 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
750 seems to use the 550 priming system. I fail to see how this is an upgrade.

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
It doesn't blow up as easily.

Posts: 21053 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hoping for better pharmaceuticals
Picture of AZSigs
posted Hide Post
quote:
I will be looking at the price of an upgrade kit.

I was out at Dillon's Saturday and they told me there is not a plan for an upgrade kit.

Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is. NRA Endowment Member . NRA instructor

Posts: 8752 | Location: Peoria, Arizona | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tha1000:
750 seems to use the 550 priming system. I fail to see how this is an upgrade.

Agreed the 550 priming system leaves much to be desired though I think I have found the magic with aftermarket parts and early replacement of the parts of the primer bar that height deal for the cup is critical small or large primer and the spent primer chute is a joke.

Posts: 1258 | Location: Duvall WA, USA | Registered: February 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
It doesn't blow up as easily.

Ironically, I have popped primers on my 550 but never my 650. If I could get my last limited gun sold, I'd sell the 650 and move to a 1050 or Mark 7 in 9mm and be done with it.

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
Owning a 650 and being a new reloader, having used a 550 for a few rounds, I would snatch up a 650 and skip the 750.

I’ve not had any significant problems with it, the primer systems works well to me. Out of a run of 1,000, I may get two or three live primers on the ski ramp because of a non feeding case at station 1. That’s usually only because the rim is beat up too much or similar.

I slicked it up with an aftermarket thrust bearing for the shell plate and keep it clean and lubed.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8340 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post