SIGforum
A&D FX-120i users

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/840601935/m/9390021714

January 08, 2017, 06:01 AM
jlemmy
A&D FX-120i users
Hey all, just started my setup of my new scale. Anyone currently using one care to share any settings advice ? I've read somewhere that people convert the grains to grams for finer readings. Not sure it was on this model tho. Do I just set it to grains, calibrate and go ? Not sure if any of the other settings need to be tweaked for loading. Any guidance would be appreciated !

Happiness is having to climb in your car to change your target.
January 08, 2017, 11:22 AM
rduckwor
I can't offer any setting advice, but I can tell you that 1 Gram = 15.43 Grains, so the Grain setting would be the smaller unit depending upon how how many places to the right of the decimal the unit is capable of reading accurately.

Since a typical grain of stick powders weights 0.2-0.4 Gr, I don't think trying to split off your weights into grams/milligrams would be too productive. Ball or flake? YMMV.

I suppose it really depends upon the degree of your OCD disease process Smile.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.
January 08, 2017, 11:58 AM
exx1976
quote:
Originally posted by jlemmy:
Hey all, just started my setup of my new scale. Anyone currently using one care to share any settings advice ? I've read somewhere that people convert the grains to grams for finer readings. Not sure it was on this model tho. Do I just set it to grains, calibrate and go ? Not sure if any of the other settings need to be tweaked for loading. Any guidance would be appreciated !

Yeah, the directions from the autotrickler said to do that. And they're right, the unit can display more decimal places for grams.

I tried it. Was so used to my load in grains that looking at it in another unit of measurement was disconcerting, so I switched back. LOL
January 08, 2017, 01:01 PM
jlemmy
Yea, I'm not sure it wouldn't lock me up seeing different numbers. I'm sure accuracy will be plenty good staying in grains.

Exx, you have the auto trickler from autotrickler.com ? I've been eying that setup.

January 08, 2017, 01:21 PM
exx1976
quote:
Yea, I'm not sure it wouldn't lock me up seeing different numbers. I'm sure accuracy will be plenty good staying in grains.

Exx, you have the auto trickler from autotrickler.com ? I've been eying that setup.

Yeah buddy. I have the v1. The v2 is supposed to be better.

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/zjVPJZTqap0
January 08, 2017, 06:07 PM
jlemmy
Alright, you talked me into it. Order placed Wink

January 08, 2017, 06:16 PM
exx1976
quote:

I swear I should get commissions from that guy.
January 08, 2017, 06:25 PM
jlemmy
quote:
Originally posted by exx1976:
quote:

How about some adult root beer bombers at the next shoot instead Big Grin

January 08, 2017, 08:01 PM
exx1976
quote:
quote:
quote:

How about some adult root beer bombers at the next shoot instead Big Grin

Oh my GOD yes! That stuff is so good! Lol
January 14, 2017, 02:35 PM
jlemmy
Quick thanks to all. Did a quick setup today on the new toys. Looks to be an incredible system.

-- Exx, picked you up a care package for the next shoot --

January 14, 2017, 03:23 PM
exx1976
That's awesome, thank you kind sir!

What an interesting pan... Was that included with the v2 trickler, or did you purchase that separately from somewhere?

BTW - unless he made some improvements to the stepper motor, I STRONGLY recommend that you put some type of foam under the trickler (I just put it on top of an upside-down mouse pad). Otherwise, as it begins to slow down, the motor finds just the right frequency where it will start dancing around your bench. LOL

Plus, you want to isolate the vibration of the motor from the scale. That thing is SUPER sensitive, and it'll screw up the readings.
January 14, 2017, 03:49 PM
jlemmy
quote:

What an interesting pan... Was that included with the v2 trickler, or did you purchase that separately from somewhere?

BTW - unless he made some improvements to the stepper motor, I STRONGLY recommend that you put some type of foam under the trickler (I just put it on top of an upside-down mouse pad). Otherwise, as it begins to slow down, the motor finds just the right frequency where it will start dancing around your bench. LOL

Plus, you want to isolate the vibration of the motor from the scale. That thing is SUPER sensitive, and it'll screw up the readings.

Thanks for the tip. Perhaps I'll get it off the same platform as the scale. It has a felt bottom as delivered. Could always mill up a stand for it to get it at the right height.

I didn't want to use the pan off my other scale as I promised it to a buddy of mine. Found these pans and purchased them separately. They are made by Sartoius and I got a big price break to order 5. If you'd like one I'd be happy to drop one in the mail for you.

January 14, 2017, 03:53 PM
exx1976
quote:
quote:

Thanks for the tip. Perhaps I'll get it off the same platform as the scale. It has a felt bottom as delivered. Could always mill up a stand for it to get it at the right height.

I didn't want to use the pan off my other scale as I promised it to a buddy of mine. Found these pans and purchased them separately. They are made by Sartoius and I got a big price break to order 5. If you'd like one I'd be happy to drop one in the mail for you.

That would be AWESOME. Email inbound with address. Thanks man! Let me know what I owe you.
January 23, 2017, 08:45 AM
ed308
Those pans are nice. $25 each or $15 for 5. Would be nice if some of our usual suppliers stocked them to add to a order.

http://balance.balances.com/scales/1427
January 24, 2017, 05:18 PM
jlemmy
Per Exx's advice I setup with a stand for the auto trickler to get it off the same platform as the scale. On very little sleep over the last couple and don't trust myself to set it up. Will post a pic in the morning and take it for a test drive.

Setup completed. Trickler on it's own base and not touching the A&D's platform. Also made a dust cover for the trickler and bent a 1/2 top for the draft guard.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jlemmy,

January 26, 2017, 06:58 AM
ed308
quote:
Per Exx's advice I setup with a stand for the auto trickler to get it off the same platform as the scale. On very little sleep over the last couple and don't trust myself to set it up. Will post a pic in the morning and take it for a test drive.

Setup completed. Trickler on it's own base and not touching the A&D's platform. Also made a dust cover for the trickler and bent a 1/2 top for the draft guard.

Nice setup.
January 26, 2017, 08:28 AM
exx1976
quote:

That looks outstanding. How's it work?
January 26, 2017, 10:48 AM
jlemmy
Loaded 20 rounds this morning as a test run. Wanted to try the ELD-M bullets in my .223. I have to say it's a slick setup that I'm happy with. Will need to play with the trickler rate to fine tune. I started by throwing short on the charge master. Right after I start the process on the A&D I dump in the pan from the short throw. Will need to do a longer run to perfect the process. I did quite a bit of winter loading already that I need to shoot to clear the shelf.

May 01, 2017, 11:42 PM
SeattleDude
quote:
Loaded 20 rounds this morning as a test run. Wanted to try the ELD-M bullets in my .223. I have to say it's a slick setup that I'm happy with. Will need to play with the trickler rate to fine tune. I started by throwing short on the charge master. Right after I start the process on the A&D I dump in the pan from the short throw. Will need to do a longer run to perfect the process. I did quite a bit of winter loading already that I need to shoot to clear the shelf.

Awesome setup! I finally ordered FX-120i today to replace my GemPro250. Cant wait!

I really like how you made that custom top cover. Is it hard to make? I would love to buy one if you can make one. Setup looks super slick!

Any chance you still have an extra pan that you can sell?

Thank you!
Peter
May 15, 2017, 09:00 PM
SeattleDude
I love my new FX-120i! Will add auto trickler eventually.

Thank you jlenny for the metal cover and pan! You are true brother!