SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    Cast bullet load for 3" 44 mag ported?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cast bullet load for 3" 44 mag ported? Login/Join 
posted
Need to load some range loads with 240 gr factory cast for a friend to try this gun, to see if he really wants to buy it. What I tried years ago was so smoky, you had to stop and wipe the front sight off every 3 shots. The gun was an RSR Wholesale special run, 3" ported 629, with a lanyard ring and rubber stocks. I think it was called the Trail model or some such. The porting really works well, not bad to shoot even with full-toot loads.

Posts: 1642 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: June 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I fear that you will find on many ported revolvers that shooting lubed lead bullets will produce a similar result to what you describe.......at least they do in most all of my ported revolvers. I have switched over to loading plated bullets with clean burning powder and the problem is solved. Just a thought.

Posts: 6613 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
All very true, BUT: I have at least 750 lead bullets that fit the only 44 in the fleet. Would be nice to use a few up before I sell it. Of course, 6 or 8 boxes of jacketed ones on the shelf too. Maybe I will use a few of those for light loads, 750-900 fps. Also have like 9 boxes of factory loads that I will give him with the gun if he buys it. Those are a bit intense to sell a pistol to a guy who usually shoots 9mm, and some 45.

Posts: 1642 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: June 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
I don’t own a magnum but I own 3 44 special revolvers. With a 200-210gr. pill I like 5.5-5.7gr. of Red Dot. A quick review of the Alliant powder guide shows 6.5gr. of Red Dot at 905fps launching a 240gr. Cast SWC using the .44 magnum case.

Posts: 3144 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Yeah anything lubed lead is going to smoke like a freight train. Plus the lead does wipe off in the porting. So I would load some jacketed for him to try. If he wants to load lead after he buys it, then he'll find out how much it smokes.

IF YOU AREN'T HANDLOADING, YOU AREN'T SHOOTING ENOUGH!
NRA Instruc: Basic Pistol & Met Reloading

Posts: 7789 | Location: ca, usa | Registered: February 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If he buys this pistol, I will also teach him to reload. I have a bunch of cases, mostly once fired, and boxes of jacketed bullets, not to mention 650 or so cast/swaged ones. Time to start passing some of the goodies on to the next generation, IF they are interested. He is.

posted Hide Post
Anyone that plans to shoot any big bore handgun a lot, need to be:

(1) Wealthy

(2) OR a handloader!

Being a handloader allows us folks to tailor our loads from wild to mild.....win-win

Posts: 6613 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
True, true. He says he has a secret stash of gun money. He is a nurse, works Fri thru Sun. I will try to take him shooting next week. He also wants a K-31, and there is a New Blackhawk 45 LC that he wants, but just doesn't know it yet!

Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Depends on the powder you have on hand, easier anyway.

If it was me, I’d looked to a midlin charge of Unique or more likely Hodgdon Universal powder.

Posts: 6156 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My .44 Bisley is ported. I have had no problems shooting cast through it. What little leading I have found in the ports cleaned out easily.

Posts: 109 | Location: Fort Wayne, IN. | Registered: February 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
How much trouble would it be for you to buy some coating powder and a cheap toaster oven from a thrift store and alleviate a good dose of leading issues? I use Missouri Bullet coated hard cast and don’t get any choo-choo smoke or leading for that matter. Ive never tried it myself but some swear by coating their own; something to consider.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15561 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post