SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    What exactly is the problem with CCI primers in a Dillon?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What exactly is the problem with CCI primers in a Dillon? Login/Join 
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted
A couple recent threads on here have warned against using CCI primers in a Dillon press.
I've loaded hundreds of thousands of rounds using CCI almost exclusively and never had an issue. My 550b's are over 15 years old. Is this a new issue?
I just want some clarity on this topic, and don't want to teach anyone wrong info if possible.

"You have the right not to be killed..."

The Clash, "Know Your Rights"

Posts: 26978 | Location: Westizzle Virgizzle | Registered: December 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm using CCI SPP exclusively in my 550b as well and have never had an issue.

The only issue I have had with mine is the primer wanting to flip over every once and awhile and that was rectified by installing the Primer Track Bearing Plate which supports the primer feed better so that it doesn't bind.

I seem to remember someone mentioning that at one time CCI had their SPP's out of spec and the cups were a little larger causing issues.

Posts: 2486 | Location: Southern Minnesota | Registered: March 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TRshootem
posted Hide Post
Never seen or heard Dillon state that about CCI primers, use em often for both .223 and 9mm. Although they do seem to be a bit harder and/or larger in diameter. Compared to WSR and WSP's, CCI's are different as stated.

I honestly have had more seating issues with the Small rifle match primers by Federal. CCI's, not so much. It does seem to me that small pistol brass in 9mm have many variations in the crimp style and the annoying issue of the primer being reluctant to pop out. CCI, Blazer and some Federal all have the same look and issue. Apparently produced on the same machines.

Posts: 1320 | Location: Montana | Registered: October 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
Only problem I've had is a stuck primer failing to load. I chalk that up to a dirty primer slide and/or tightening the primer tube assemble too hard.

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5745 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The only problem with my Dillon and CCi primers was a dirty primer pickup tube. A primer got stuck in the tube, I had to knock it out. I pulled the caps off the tube, clean it, never had a problem since.

Posts: 474 | Location: Minnesota  | Registered: June 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I've not had any problems with them in my 550 either.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ed308
posted Hide Post
I use #41 and #34 rifle primers and have never had a problem on my 650.

Posts: 605 | Location: DFW Area | Registered: January 12, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hoping for better pharmaceuticals
Picture of AZSigs
posted Hide Post
I believe I heard the same comment in their shop when I originally bought my 650. I don't remember the explanation but have loaded thousands of rounds with CCI primers.

Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is. NRA Endowment Member . NRA instructor

Posts: 8752 | Location: Peoria, Arizona | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
I've used small pistol and 41s in both my 550 and 650 and no problems.

??

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
I asked where the info came from when I read it here too.
Seems they talked to a tech at Dillon who told them not to use CCI.
Since it's not in any of their manuals that I've seen and my own success using thousands of CCI primers - LR, SP & LP, I can only conclude that the tech in question heard a rumor and passed it along as "fact".

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3771 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ed308
posted Hide Post
I've read a couple of times on another forum where people were having a a problem. But can't remember if the primers were flipping or reported to be to large to feed via the primer pickup tubes.

Posts: 605 | Location: DFW Area | Registered: January 12, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I use everything in my 550. Some feed better than others. It depends on the primer cup shape.

IF YOU AREN'T HANDLOADING, YOU AREN'T SHOOTING ENOUGH!
NRA Instruc: Basic Pistol & Met Reloading

Posts: 7789 | Location: ca, usa | Registered: February 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of chansen92
posted Hide Post
I use an older 550B press and have no problems with any primers ever.

Posts: 1622 | Location: owosso,Mi. USA | Registered: August 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of james_1234
posted Hide Post
I never have issues with them in my 650. They are my choice primers, if I can find them in Stock I will use them.

Posts: 1359 | Location: Colorado | Registered: May 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
What exactly is the problem with CCI primers in a Dillon?

The internet.

Posts: 1335 | Registered: October 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GP229:
quote:
What exactly is the problem with CCI primers in a Dillon?

The internet.

Big Grin...pretty much my view too...

Never any problems with any brand in my old upgraded RL450 bought in the 80s.

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10580 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TRshootem
posted Hide Post
One of the 550's on the bench was having an issue with the CCI primers hanging up when loading them from the tube. I sprayed One Shot on a small patch and used the black plastic primer rod to push small patches through the pick up tubes. A few passes with a dry patch... Also cleaned the inner tube in the primer assembly.

Problem solved, I had no idea how much that little bit of 'fouling' had been causing so much aggravation. Many thousands of rounds loaded on the Dillon machines, not sure why this didn't occur to me sooner.

Posts: 1320 | Location: Montana | Registered: October 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have used closed to 10k CCI primers on my dillon 650 without issue. Only issues come from not cleaning the 650 often enough.

Posts: 547 | Location: Field of Dreams | Registered: September 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I did experience an issue with primers dropping on one lot of CCI large pistol primers. Not certain what the issue was, I have 7 LP tubes and they all had problems wit it. Never had any issue with SR,LR, SP or any magnum or other problems. but that box of 5000 was a pain for me. Have used LP since with no issue however. BTW this was at least 5 years ago.

Posts: 35 | Location: us | Registered: May 10, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jmorris
posted Hide Post
News to me, I have no problems with them.

Posts: 481 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post