SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    Powder Check/Cop Dies
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Powder Check/Cop Dies Login/Join 
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted
What is everyone using for powder checkers? I'm interested in one for the Dillon XL650 I just acquired. I like the idea of the Dillon checker since it makes noise rather than locking up the press. Plus, I don't have to watch it like some of the other designs.

I'm not terribly familiar with others that are out there. What others does the membership have experience with?

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17244 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
I bought two for the presses decades ago.
My opinion is that it is a learning tool more than a safe thing atleast in my case.
I watch my press systems constantly and watch what I am doing and not ever being distracted with the loading of my ammo.
They have been off my presses many years.

Posts: 22407 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
I use the Dillon one on my XL650. I always look in the case before placing a bullet but the cop is nice as a backup. It will of course only beep on an empty or overflowing case not if the charge is off by a grain or two.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8339 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
I've been using the RCBS lock-out die for many years in station #3 on the Dillon 450/550 (since almost all of my pistol loads are cast/coated I seat and crimp in station #4)...I'll agree with 45 Cal, it shouldn't take the place of mindful/undistracted loading, but it does give a little safety cushion...once set properly the lock-out die will stop the press from advancing due to an uncharged or double charged case...IMHO they work better than the visual "powder cop" dies...

https://www.amazon.com/RCBS-87...ut-Die/dp/B004TABWJK

Dang...I don't remember the ones I bought being this expensive...you might check around locally or other web vendors Smile

Here's a YouTube video kinda giving you an overview on how to set them up and how they work...

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/egs5GWG_Prc

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10580 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use the Dillon model on my 650

But like Riley said its not there to monitor a precise powder drop.

RC

Posts: 1938 | Location: Indiana | Registered: March 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a number of different caliber toolheads for my 650, and I have a powder check die on everyone. They have caught a problem more than once.....would not reload without them.

Posts: 6600 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GT-40DOC:
I have a number of different caliber toolheads for my 650, and I have a powder check die on everyone. They have caught a problem more than once.....would not reload without them.

What kind?

Am I right in seeing that the RCBS die only works with straight wall pistol calibers?

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17244 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:
Am I right in seeing that the RCBS die only works with straight wall pistol calibers?

Yep...the RSBS Lock Out Die only works on straight wall pistol cases...9MM and larger...I'm not sure, but I think Dillon might offer one for bottle neck rifle cases.

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10580 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:
quote:
Originally posted by GT-40DOC:

What kind?

I use the Dillon Powder Check dies......zero complaints!!

Posts: 6600 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ed308
posted Hide Post
I use Dillon's powder check for pistol and rifle. No complaints. Works as designed.

Posts: 605 | Location: DFW Area | Registered: January 12, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
When I first got my 650 I was unused to auto indexing and kept screwing up and "loading" empty cases. Many squibs, one of which cost me a barrel. I bought the powder check die for it and haven't had once since, but it has got many over and under charges over the years.

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hoping for better pharmaceuticals
Picture of AZSigs
posted Hide Post
I use Dillon's powder check on all my set ups.

Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is. NRA Endowment Member . NRA instructor

Posts: 8752 | Location: Peoria, Arizona | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post