SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    Newbie with $600 Cabala gift cards - what do I buy
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Newbie with $600 Cabala gift cards - what do I buy Login/Join 
And say my glory was
I had such friends.
Picture of Hunthelp
posted
I retire next month. I will have time to shoot more.
I have $600 in Cabela gift cards. I'm thinking I could get into reloading to lower my ammo costs.
What would you buy?

"I don't shoot well, but I shoot often." - Pres. T. Roosevelt

Posts: 1941 | Location: Chandler, AZ | Registered: June 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
That rules out Dillon and Redding. Cabelas mostly carries Hornady, RCBS, and Lee.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8202 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
And say my glory was
I had such friends.
Picture of Hunthelp
posted Hide Post
Cabelas has several "kits" for around 300.
I'll get the ABC book and read it when my reading time expands in a month.
I'm thinking I'd reload 9mm, 45 cal, 25-06, 9 rem mag.
I have dropped $200 a quarter on store bought ammo in the past, but with more time available I can see doubling that every couple of months. Not really worried about payback, but looking forward to some time where I'm not looking for something to do.
I don't need to go high end but want something that isn't going to break the first couple of years.

"I don't shoot well, but I shoot often." - Pres. T. Roosevelt

Posts: 1941 | Location: Chandler, AZ | Registered: June 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
Given where your gift card is, and your desire to load 9mm &45, you’ll probably want a Hornady L-N-L kit. The argument is always between a Dillon 550B/C or a LNL. The Hornady kit includes a 500 bullet rebate, which is the same as a $100 rebate.

They also have a Hornady single stage kit in the $300 range, that still gets you the 500 bullets. That makes it a decent way to get started, and then later you can add a progressive to your workbench, whether that be a Dillon or a LNL.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8202 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Best deal going(IMO) at Cabelas for someone starting to reload would be the Lee Precision Classic Turret Kit(NOT THE DELUXE KIT). As you can start operating it without the indexing rod, it'll do a great job as a single stage press. The plus is, that when you're comfortable with your practices and routines, insert the indexing rod and you'll step up to an auto-indexing turret press at no added cost. Comes with most of what you need, including the Lee Modern Reloading book, which is a good intro. to reloading and includes basic load details.

The Hornady LnL is a GREAT progressive press(I run one myself), but might be a bit intimidating for someone just entering the world of reloading.

Posts: 116 | Registered: March 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
^^^ Shush. Don’t let NikonUser hear you say that. It’ll ruin his holidays. Big Grin

Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Do you plan to reload most of a few cartridges, or move around a fair bit?

I change often, different mil-surps, handgun, & hunting ammo. With changing routinely I can't see going much beyond a 'turret' type press.

I suggest starting off with easy cartridges with good brass. It doesn't get much easier than the 38 Spcl, or even modest 357 loads. No need to fiddle with max either.

Posts: 6132 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
^^^ Shush. Don’t let NikonUser hear you say that. It’ll ruin his holidays. Big Grin

Nah, it wouldn't. It would ruin the OP's holidays. If not this year, soon enough.

Posts: 3398 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
That's a hefty down payment on the new RCBS Rock Chucker 5 or 7 (I'd personally get the 7). I have the older RCBS Pro2000 with the Auto-Indexing kit and give it 4.5/5 stars. If you search gavintoobe's channel on Youtube, you can find his video that evaluates the press and he loads some 9mm in another video. As a matter of fact, he has a LOT more videos on the Pro Chucker 5 than I originally thought. Happy shopping!!!

Well here are the vids:

Unfortunately, I don't see the Rock Chucker 5 or 7 on Cabela's website, so hopefully they have it in the store or maybe they could order it for you.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11054 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
With the quantity you are wanting to reload, I would skip the single stage and go straight to a progressive.

I'll throw another vote for the Hornady Lock-N-Load AP. It's not that hard to set up and get dialed in.

It comes with one pistol powder metering insert and one rifle insert. You will want to get additional ones for each caliber so you don't have to fiddle with dialing in the powder load when you swap calibers.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: RichN,

------------------------------
"They who would give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin

"So this is how liberty dies; with thunderous applause."
- Senator Amidala (Star Wars III: Revenge of the Sith)

Posts: 1494 | Location: Southwest Ohio | Registered: October 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I sometimes wonder with a brand new reloader if they're better off starting out a little slower than a progressive?

Just saying, quality & safety 'trump' production numbers. Some of us will never need the max capacity a true progressive provides, then we have the 'switchability' issues.

Just my case for instance recently, 6.5 Jap, 7.5mm Swiss, 9mm Makarov, 9mm, 30-06 & not far back some 300WSM and 284 Winchester. I'm setup to load others too.

As with many things, individual requirements vary.

Posts: 6132 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
Cabela's sell the Forster Co-Ax press,
best press ever,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:
best press ever,

Wow, I did not know that Cabela's was carrying the Forster. It must be online only, because I have never seen them in a store, and I've been to over two dozen over the years.

I'll make an amended recommendation right now. To get started, get a CO-AX. You can always add a progressive later, but with the Forster, you'll never want a different single stage. Well, perhaps maybe a Redding T-7. Cool

I really want to get me a Bonanza/Forster CO-AX. I'm tired of looking at my friend's presses.

posted Hide Post
I was in the same position as you a few years back, except not quite entering retirement age yet, so spare time for reloading is at a premium at this stage in life for me. I had about $500 in Cabelas gift cards and wanted to move up to a progressive press, having used a single stage RCBS for many years. My focus was for higher volume in 9mm and .45 Auto in pistol and 5.56 for rifle.

I looked at both progressive and turret presses, mainly Dillon and Hornady for progressive and Redding T-7 for turret. In the end, I went with Hornady L-N-L progressive, based on limited selection of brands at Cabelas at that time. If they would have carried Dillon I would likely have kicked in more $$ and went that direction, based on feedback from forum posters on this site. But for me, the Hornady is working well and I don't regret going that direction. I don't have the Ammo Plant version, but do have their bullet feed die and pre-load the tubes prior to starting my session. I eventually plan to add bullet and case feeders, but for now this works fine for my needs.

As others have mentioned, one really needs to understand the basic operations at each station on a progressive, which are basically the same as are performed when using a single stage press. When I first set up the L-N-L press I worked thru each station individually before tying them all together. With the L-N-L bushings it is easy to add or remove dies for single stage operation.

I still use case trays when I prep before a session, and typically load four 50-round trays when setting up to load 200 rounds. I use the Hornady aerosol case lube and spray each tray before stacking them beside the press. I have extra primer feed tubes and bullet feed tubes as well, which allows me to roll thru exactly 200 rounds once I have started.

RichN makes a good point regarding the powder drop dispenser, it makes it much easier going back and forth between calibers. I have one set up for pistol and one for rifle.

At current prices for $15 to $18/100 for new 9mm ammo right now, it's a little hard to justify the investment in $$ and components to reload, as I usually have about 14 cents in powder, primer and bullets, but I enjoy doing it, and it's fun to tweak loads for your intended use. On a single stage press I wouldn't even consider it right now for volume in 9mm or 45 Auto. But, when time isn't a critical factor, that's a different story. Enjoy your retirement.

Posts: 312 | Location: Ohio | Registered: January 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:
best press ever,

Wow, I did not know that Cabela's was carrying the Forster. It must be online only, because I have never seen them in a store, and I've been to over two dozen over the years.

I'll make an amended recommendation right now. To get started, get a CO-AX. You can always add a progressive later, but with the Forster, you'll never want a different single stage. Well, perhaps maybe a Redding T-7. Cool

I really want to get me a Bonanza/Forster CO-AX. I'm tired of looking at my friend's presses.

http://www.cabelas.com/product.../741213.uts?slotId=0

and free shipping now

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
wait for there primers to go on sale clean them out and go buy a dillion 650

Posts: 5574 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ed308
posted Hide Post
The Foster Coax is a nice single stage press. So is Hornady's Iron press, which is what I use. But I've also got Dillon 650.

You can start out reloading on a progressive press. My 650 was my first press. Just break down the reloading steps into manageable task on the press. Then go full progressive once you figure out how the press works.

Posts: 605 | Location: DFW Area | Registered: January 12, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RoverSig
posted Hide Post
A good Turret press. Can be had for around $300, so the rest can be spent on supplies.

A single stage press would be okay (and cheaper). A more expensive progressive would be fine, too -- but a turret press is sort of a good middle ground that won't be too challenging but won't hold you back either. It does take time to learn and absorb best practices for reloading.

Good luck with it, too. I can't tell you how much I enjoy reloading my own ammo.

I use a Lee four-station turret and in the long run it fits the task well, although I'd like a high-speed progressive to turn out more 9mm!

Posts: 1597 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: June 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
I recommend the Lee Classic Turret based on your budget. One served me well for about ten years. 100-150 rounds per hour beats the heck out of a single stage.

Besides allowing you to shoot more, reloading in itself is a very rewarding hobby.

Posts: 13668 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
So, OP......what did you buy?? Inquiring minds want to know!! Smile

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11054 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post