SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    LnL bullet feeding tube - plated bullets
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

LnL bullet feeding tube - plated bullets Login/Join 
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted
I'm trying to sort out my new LnL progressive press.
My next challenge is the bullet feeder (just the tube not the entire auto feeder) in 9mm.
It seems to work with Montana Gold FMJ 147gr bullets, NOT with my Bayou plated 147gr bullets.

Has any one tried plated bullets and did you get the feeder to work with them, HOW?
Thanks

Posts: 4622 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use the Hornady 9mm bullet feed/drop die, with the tubes, as well. I have loaded many 1000s of rounds with it, a high percentage of them being plated vs FMJ. I have not found type of bullet to be an issue, but the diameter, and any variation in diameter within lots, can be an issue.

I have had to re-adjust the die/collet setting when changing brands of bullets, in some cases. The bullets I typically load measure between .355 for standard 124 gr and .356 when loading 125 gr .38 Super bullets. Also, it is important to keep the internal parts clean. I use a regular gun cleaning solvent and swabs.

I did find that the new die did seem to require a little break-in before it worked consistently, but maybe I didn't have it set quite correctly at the beginning. I also make a practice of giving it a shot of Hornady case lube every few hundred rounds, and every time I finish a reloading session.

My experience now is that I can typically get thru 100 rounds with 0 or maybe 1 missed bullet drop.

Posts: 312 | Location: Ohio | Registered: January 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mine drops Berry’s plated just fine.

Posts: 8954 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
Did some research and found somebody that polished the inside of the die and cured the problem with cast bullets.
I took the die apart,cleaned it and put a brass bore brush on a drill and polished the inside of Colet A&B.
My bayou plated bullets work fine now.
On to the next problem.

Posts: 4622 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
I had one very inconstant, bought a my bullet feeder die and it works 100 percent I have it connected to my bullet feeder I built myself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rzxsrG2vK0

Posts: 5587 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post