SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    Press for working up loads?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Press for working up loads? Login/Join 
Inject yourself!
posted
I have Dillon 650 set up for 9mm but I’d really like a dedicated press to use to work up loads. It’s obnoxious, to me, to keep adjusting the 650 for changing powder charges and seating depth when trying different bullets.

However, time is still a factor so I’m looking at a T-7 turret press over a Rock Chucker. This will be used for multiple calibers from handgun to small rifle development and possibly general loading of 45/70 and heavier 45 Colt and .357 Magnum.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8339 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Riley:
I have Dillon 650 set up for 9mm but I’d really like a dedicated press to use to work up loads. It’s obnoxious, to me, to keep adjusting the 650 for changing powder charges and seating depth when trying different bullets.

However, time is still a factor so I’m looking at a T-7 turret press over a Rock Chucker. This will be used for multiple calibers from handgun to small rifle development and possibly general loading of 45/70 and heavier 45 Colt and .357 Magnum.

I use a Rock Chucker, keep it bolted to the opposite end of my reloading bench. It is useful for other tasks besides working up a load. And I don't load that many cases to work up a load to make the single stage a burden.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
I use a T-7 as my everyday single-stage press. If find it to be quite sturdy and haven't seen any sort of run-out issues using my Forster precision mic seating dies. None of the cartridges you mentioned will even cause the T-7 to break a sweat. I load up to 416 Rigby on mine. I use a Hollywood for my 50BMG. Cool

The T-7 is very convenient when working up loads because you can have all three dies mounted and ready to go, making it a snap to load a single round at a time. If I had to criticize the T-7 for something, it's that it will sometimes not catch spent primers, letting them fall out of the priming slot. Maybe one in twenty. I solved the problem with a 2" piece of straw inserted into my shell holder when decapping to send the primer into the catch tube.

I see that Lyman has a T-7 knock-off and it's eight stations. I haven't seen one personally, so I couldn't speak to it's reliability or quality. I do know that Lyman doesn't have Redding's stellar reputation for customer service, FWIW.

Now, if you really want to get serious, find a Hollywood Universal. 12 stations, and the pictures really don't convey just how massive this press is. It weighs something like 75lbs or so. Only serious reloaders need apply. Smile

f:0" target="_blank">Hollywood Universal

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8202 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rock Crusher 100%
Simple and lasts forever.

Posts: 957 | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use my Lyman turret press for developing loads(and small batches). Once the load is determined, I set up my 650 to load a bunch of it!!

Posts: 6600 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
+1 on the Rock Chucker also....The other thing I did was purchased a set of RCBS dies for the calibers I was working up loads on so that I could leave my 650 die head set up and not have to remove and the re-attach and re-adjust the dies on the 650 head.....Mark

Posts: 3239 | Location: MS | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I load 9mm on a 650 as well, but use a Square Deal B for working up new loads.

It gives me the option of loading a few or a few hundred without taking a lot of time.

Posts: 1335 | Registered: October 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Riley:

For what it's worth, I have been using a T-7 for over 10 years now and it's my only press in use. I load .308, .223, 45ACP. In the last few years, I keep the .45 and the .308 stuff on there: 3 dies for the 45 and 4 for the .308: expander mandrel, bullet pointer, S/B bushing die and competition seater die.

Posts: 3398 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Geaux Tigers
Picture of Alcapone396
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the T-7..Without a doubt as strong a press as you would ever need and much quicker than a single stage.. It's my choice for working up loads and loading rifle rounds..I have a 550, 650, a forster co-ax and a rcbs summit along with the T-7 and it's the only one I would not part with under any circumstances!!!

Al______________Capone396

P220 Combat, P220 Sport, P220EL, X-5 Comp 9mm , P226 BlackWater, P226 ST.357 Sig, P226ST 9mm, P229ST .40, P228, P232 SL, Glock 19, CZ75BSS, CZ-83, S&W 29, S&W 640, S&W 642, Ruger MKII, Ruger Charger,, HKP7,,Browning Hi Power, Colt Anaconda, S&W 460 Mag, RRA 9mm CAR, Robinson Arms XCR, FN-SLP ,Arsenal SAS-M7,, Built AR-15 with lots of goodies,,Etc, Etc, Etc.....

Posts: 1263 | Location: Down South in Bayou Country | Registered: January 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ed308
posted Hide Post
I use a Hornady Iron Press for working up new loads and my precision loads. But any single stage press would work well.

Posts: 605 | Location: DFW Area | Registered: January 12, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jmorris
posted Hide Post
If you are using any kind of measure, you are going to have to adjust powder charge. A trickler or auto trickler will save some time.

I have 2” box tube press mounts that slide into 2” receivers behind vehicles I drive for loading in remote locations where I test.

Posts: 481 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
I don't mind adjusting the measure or the dies really. The 650 is just cramped and more time consuming to keep switching and locking down with all that's going on.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8339 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jmorris
posted Hide Post
You do realize you can just run one case at a time, right?

It’s not as easy on the 650 as others as it always feeds primers but there are fixes for that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZDT63UZVVE

Posts: 481 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
I have been using a RCBS Jr for over 40 years.

Posts: 5610 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was using a turret press, then I bought another 550 and I'm much happier.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post