Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Primers Login/Join 
posted
Hi, I'm new to reloading and getting ready to load 9mm for the first time. I purchased hs-6 powder a long time ago when there was a powder shortage because it was all I could find. The only 9mm recipe I can find for hs-6 powder calls for cci 500 small pistol primers. I have Winchester small pistol primers. Does it matter? They're both small pistol primers.

Posts: 44 | Location: Gilbert, Arizona | Registered: October 06, 2012Report This Post
Too nice for
my own good
Picture of sigarmsVin
posted Hide Post
Short answer yes you can use CCI or Win SPP interchangeably, use caution and work up the load due to the new component being used.

Posts: 915 | Location: Tri-State | Registered: March 28, 2005Report This Post
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Generally primer BRAND doesn't matter. If I worked a load up to absolute max & was switching primers, I would back that load off 5% & work it back up using a chronograph. Everything matters with max loads.

IF YOU AREN'T HANDLOADING, YOU AREN'T SHOOTING ENOUGH!
NRA Instruc: Basic Pistol & Met Reloading

Posts: 7789 | Location: ca, usa | Registered: February 17, 2004Report This Post
posted Hide Post
As above, load them up and enjoy!! Start your load at min load of powder, and work your loads up. You will most likely find a load that you, and your handgun likes before reaching max loading.

Posts: 6612 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Report This Post
Picture of y-not
posted Hide Post
HS6 is one of my favorite powders for 9mm, I load 6.3 grans with 124 grain bullets,

“Denial kills you twice. It kills you once, at your moment of truth when you are not physically prepared: You didn’t bring your gun; you didn’t train. Your only defense was wishful thinking. Hope is not a strategy. Denial kills you a second time because even if you do physically survive, you are psychologically shattered by fear, helplessness, horror and shame at your moment of truth.”

Posts: 642 | Location: Pinellas Park, Fl | Registered: January 30, 2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
My son and I like HS-6 a lot for 9mm loads. It meters well and fills the case better than some other powders.
6.6 grains with a 115 grain FMJ or JHP, 1.125 in. o.a.l. We both have used different primers, depending on what was available. Usually CCI or Winchester. I could not tell a difference.

Posts: 1194 | Location: Moved to N.W. MT. | Registered: April 26, 2009Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the replies. My question has been answered. Sorry for the late response by me. I was out of town for a couple weeks.

Posts: 44 | Location: Gilbert, Arizona | Registered: October 06, 2012Report This Post