SIGforum
Primers

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/840601935/m/8930051914

February 10, 2017, 02:46 PM
brules01
Primers
Hi, I'm new to reloading and getting ready to load 9mm for the first time. I purchased hs-6 powder a long time ago when there was a powder shortage because it was all I could find. The only 9mm recipe I can find for hs-6 powder calls for cci 500 small pistol primers. I have Winchester small pistol primers. Does it matter? They're both small pistol primers.
February 10, 2017, 03:09 PM
sigarmsVin
Short answer yes you can use CCI or Win SPP interchangeably, use caution and work up the load due to the new component being used.
February 10, 2017, 04:25 PM
fredj338
Generally primer BRAND doesn't matter. If I worked a load up to absolute max & was switching primers, I would back that load off 5% & work it back up using a chronograph. Everything matters with max loads.

IF YOU AREN'T HANDLOADING, YOU AREN'T SHOOTING ENOUGH!
NRA Instruc: Basic Pistol & Met Reloading
February 10, 2017, 04:36 PM
GT-40DOC
As above, load them up and enjoy!! Start your load at min load of powder, and work your loads up. You will most likely find a load that you, and your handgun likes before reaching max loading.
February 11, 2017, 07:03 AM
y-not
HS6 is one of my favorite powders for 9mm, I load 6.3 grans with 124 grain bullets,

“Denial kills you twice. It kills you once, at your moment of truth when you are not physically prepared: You didn’t bring your gun; you didn’t train. Your only defense was wishful thinking. Hope is not a strategy. Denial kills you a second time because even if you do physically survive, you are psychologically shattered by fear, helplessness, horror and shame at your moment of truth.”
February 11, 2017, 08:45 AM
sig operator
My son and I like HS-6 a lot for 9mm loads. It meters well and fills the case better than some other powders.
6.6 grains with a 115 grain FMJ or JHP, 1.125 in. o.a.l. We both have used different primers, depending on what was available. Usually CCI or Winchester. I could not tell a difference.
March 04, 2017, 09:46 PM
brules01
Thank you for the replies. My question has been answered. Sorry for the late response by me. I was out of town for a couple weeks.