SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    purple hue 9mm brass
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

purple hue 9mm brass Login/Join 
Picture of DEC505
posted
I just received a large box of once fired brass.In the mix of .223,45acp and 9mm was a large amount of WIN 9mm nickel brass that seems to have a purple coating/hue. It will wipe off with a shot of brake clean.

I haven't ran any thru the stainless pins yet to see how they do. Has anyone have a clue what I may be dealing with ?

Hell has no fury like a liberal
confronted with reality

Posts: 814 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Itchy was taken
Picture of scratchy
posted Hide Post
It's probably Homeland Security training ammo cases. Ammunition to go .com and MidwayUSA had
them for the same price as you'd expect to pay for bulk 9mm or 223. It's brass, go ahead and reload.

Got some of this because I thought it was unique:
https://www.ammunitiontogo.com...-casing-62gr-ot-ammo

Posts: 3999 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Scratchy - Thank you Sir. Just learned something I did not know. Purple coated brass...Never heard or seen this before...Mark

Posts: 3239 | Location: MS | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DEC505
posted Hide Post
Scratchy, thanks for the info on the purple brass.First time I had ever seen it. The link explains why it's colored, Thanks, Derrell

Hell has no fury like a liberal
confronted with reality

Posts: 814 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Itchy was taken
Picture of scratchy
posted Hide Post
Glad I could help out.

Posts: 3999 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I've seen some guys (Border Patrol maybe IIRC?) shooting that stuff.

Posts: 21053 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by scratchy:
It's probably Homeland Security training ammo cases.

Interesting.

Do you know how long they've been using this?

The local ICE/HSI guys use our range, and I don't recall ever seeing purple ammo cases.

I'll have to ask them next time I run into them.

Posts: 32431 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Itchy was taken
Picture of scratchy
posted Hide Post
I ran across it while looking at bulk ammo at Midway and ammunitiontogo. Thought my wife would think it's cute. Found out what little I do know from there. I have 1000 rounds in 223.

I ferreted this out of cartridgecollectors.org:

“Geoff Pender, The Clarion-Ledger 8:53 a.m. CDT September 26, 2014.” Jackson, Mississippi

“U.S. Sen. Thad Cochran’s office has announced that Winchester Ammunition has won a five-year, $50-million contract to make .40-caliber ammunition at its plant in Oxford for the U.S. Department of Homeland Security.”…

“The training ammunition will be used by Customs and Border Protection and Immigration Customs Enforcement, Cochran’s office said.”

This message has been edited. Last edited by: scratchy,