SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    Auto decap and primer pocket sorting machine.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Auto decap and primer pocket sorting machine. Login/Join 
Picture of jmorris
posted
I built a machine that will decap and sort 45 ACP by primer pocket size.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJgU3-OXuUU

Posts: 481 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very cool. I wish that I have one.

Smile

Posts: 474 | Location: Minnesota  | Registered: June 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Cool. That must have taken a metric ton of work and fine tuning!

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20303 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow

That is very cool

You should ask Dillon if they want to paint it blue and give you a pile of money

RC

Posts: 1938 | Location: Indiana | Registered: March 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll not need one...I got tired of sorting them, and use the small pistol sized cases for field walks, leaving the spent hulls where they land. Rod

5th Spl Forces, Air Force Bird Dog FAC, lll Corps RVN 69-70.... We enjoy the Bill of Rights by the sacrifices of our veterans;
Politicians, Preachers, Educators, Journalists and Community Organizers are beneficiaries, not defenders of our freedoms.

Posts: 725 | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
Very cool! I need something like that just for decapping to keep my Dillon cleaner.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8339 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That is slick!

Posts: 9 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: May 19, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thawed out,
thrown out
posted Hide Post
Very cool. Any solution for sorting the occasional .380 case from a big pile of 9mm?

Posts: 124 | Registered: February 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by StayFrosty:
Very cool. Any solution for sorting the occasional .380 case from a big pile of 9mm?

Or .45 Colts from .44 Mags? Or .41 Mags from .44 Mags for that matter? Or .40 S&Ws from .38 Supers? Or 7mm-08 from .308 Win? Think of the possibilities! Cool

Posts: 7244 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I believe his device sorts based only on the diameter of the primer pocket. Probably a punch that is small enough to enter a large primer pocket but too large to enter a small pocket is raised to test the case, and if the punch can enter the pocket the case is sent to the bucket for large promers and if it can't it is sent to the small primer bucket.

Most of the other sortings mentioned do not have difference in the primer pocket size and this technique would not work. The distinction between .44Mag and .45Colt cases would be quite difficult, because the only real difference between them is the actual outer diameter, and that is small enough that a simple method of testing might be difficult. (Those cases are essentially the same height.)

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jmorris
posted Hide Post
^ correct.

For sorting 380 from 9mm, 38 super, 40, 45, 44 etc.

I use this machine, that sorts by diameter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFw7IcQUmgs

The rollers have to be precision because 380 is only .018” smaller than 9mm. If you have a lot of runout they would drop into the same bin.

Posts: 481 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hoping for better pharmaceuticals
Picture of AZSigs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by StayFrosty:

Shell sorter with .380 sorter plate. It is what I use. I sort several thousands of brass weekly. Fast and effective.

Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is. NRA Endowment Member . NRA instructor

Posts: 8752 | Location: Peoria, Arizona | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post