SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    Case trimmer for .357 SIG?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Case trimmer for .357 SIG? Login/Join 
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted
I've got a load of .357 SIG brass that I want to trim. It's almost all once fired and never reloaded, but I've found the lengths are too inconsistent for my tastes.

Problem is, my old RCBS trimmer doesn't seem to be able to go short enough for such a short case. And the Frankfort Arsenal universal case trimmer (fits into a hand drill) also doesn't look like it'll work. I haven't tried, but based on the design, I'm just going to say it doesn't work.

So what can I use to trim short little .357 SIG cases? Am I just wrong about my RCBS trimmer? I've seen guys on Youtube reloading channels talk about trimming .357 SIG, so something must work out there.

Ideas?

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just an ACARS message
with feelings
Picture of qxsoup
posted Hide Post
Lee makes a "custom" case trimmer. I use the zip trim with the universal chuck with mine.

220/229/228/226/P6/225/XO/SP2022/239

Posts: 3062 | Location: The Queen City (the one in Ohio) | Registered: May 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dubdubu
posted Hide Post
Just tested a .357 sig case on my RCBS trim pro and it works fine. It could go .3" deeper.

Posts: 68 | Location: St Louis Co, Mo | Registered: November 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
It’s pistol brass, so what’s the point? Are you having issues with chambering or maintaining cartridge OAL below the max?

I’ve loaded .357SIG for over a decade and never had a need to trim. I think you are wasting time and effort, honestly.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17244 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah.... I'm with virus on this one.

I have never, ever wasted a single moment trimming pistol brass. The pressures are such that brass "growth" is negligent.

Clean, Load, and Go.

Andrew

Duty is the sublimest word in the English Language - Gen Robert E Lee.

Posts: 861 | Registered: May 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've trimmed SIG brass on my Forester with standard base. The SIG brass was just barely long enough to work ok.

Posts: 480 | Registered: February 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am another that has never felt the need to trim 357Sig brass. To each their own!!

Posts: 6600 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dubdubu:
Just tested a .357 sig case on my RCBS trim pro and it works fine. It could go .3" deeper.

How old is your trimmer? Mine is between 10 and 15 years and I don't know if there's a difference between the RCBS trimmer that's currently on the market and the one I have.

Mine is also in bad shape from being left in an outdoor storage closet for two years, so maybe corrosion accounts for the limited travel.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dubdubu
posted Hide Post
It's about 3 years old. Box says Trim Pro-2 #90366.

Posts: 68 | Location: St Louis Co, Mo | Registered: November 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks. That could be the issue, since I have a Trim Pro, not the Trim Pro 2.

posted Hide Post
I have only had to trim a few that I swept up from others at the range.
Most of mine does not check long but I understand the desire to be uniform across the board.
I could only find the universal chuck at the time to make my trimmer work. So, I found the same as qxsoup.

quote:
Originally posted by qxsoup:
Lee makes a "custom" case trimmer. I use the zip trim with the universal chuck with mine.

Too many SIGs .. ... Nah not really

Posts: 361 | Location: AL | Registered: August 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've never trimmed pistol brass. I've measured several after shooting several many times and as said growth has been little if any.
Good Luck,
TF

Posts: 32 | Location: Kansas | Registered: May 15, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vaalpens
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oat_Action_Man:
I've got a load of .357 SIG brass that I want to trim. It's almost all once fired and never reloaded, but I've found the lengths are too inconsistent for my tastes.

There is no need to trim your 357sig cases, but it does help if the lengths are consistent. I don't trim my 357sig cases, but I sort them based on the length. This then gives me a consistent length every time I load a batch of them. A consistent length helps to keep belling/expansion to a minimum, a more precise crimp, and ultimately better neck tension.

Be safe and enjoy your 357sig.

Posts: 53 | Registered: February 15, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oat_Action_Man:
Thanks. That could be the issue, since I have a Trim Pro, not the Trim Pro 2.

I have an RCBS Case Trimmer II (that is what is says on the underside). Top side says Case Trimmer 2.
Is that the same as a Pro Trim 2?

PC

Posts: 1332 | Location: NW Wyoming | Registered: November 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cxm
posted Hide Post
Why not ask the experts?

Give RCBS, Lyman, Redding or others... Just give them a call and ask the question... you should get a definite answer that way...

FWIW

Chuck

Hoist on High the Bonny Blue Flag that Bears the Single Star!!!

Certified SIG Armorer
Certified Glock Armorer

Posts: 1346 | Location: Florida, CSA | Registered: September 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post