SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    Last few rookie questions for 9mm loading.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Last few rookie questions for 9mm loading. Login/Join 
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
Thanks! I ordered a Lone Wolf Rod with ISMI spring. I’ll try the Jager later.

Shot a match today, using the 4.0gr load and a target 1.138 COL. Shot fine with the stock recoil spring. Seem to hit the steel a little harder than some other 9mm loads folks were using.

Spent some time bracing the bench better, makes the press run smoother.

I can’t wait to try the new spring and then find a chrono to make sure I meet pf. The new press equipment dipped into my new gun budget so I won’t get a G34 for a bit.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8339 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
New spring and guide rod rod installed. It will have to be the weekend before I can test but looks promising. The 4.0gr loads ran great on last match.

Posts: 8339 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Couple things.
OAL, it varies with every bullet style & gun. A 147gr RN will be a lot longer OAL than a 147gr XTP used in the Hodgdon data. Bullets are rarely plug & play. A lead bullet is diff than a plated & both diff than jacketed, even if they could have identical nose profiles. Generally a plated bullet will need slightly less powder to reach the same vel as jacketed.
Without a chronograph, you are just guessing. Especially when trying to stay within PF, you need to chrono those rds at some point.
Taper crimp, just enough to return the case straight after belling.

IF YOU AREN'T HANDLOADING, YOU AREN'T SHOOTING ENOUGH!
NRA Instruc: Basic Pistol & Met Reloading

Posts: 7789 | Location: ca, usa | Registered: February 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
Could you recommend a chrono?

Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Riley:

I've had very good results with the Competition Electronics ProChrono Digital. You can certainly find it cheaper than their web site price. I have compared my measurements against our club's doppler radar chrono, and they are within 5 fps.

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
quote:

Even a cheap Chrony will work but harder to use IMO. I like the CED for value/accuracy & ease of use. The Comp Elec works fine too.

Posts: 7789 | Location: ca, usa | Registered: February 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
This thread has been a great help!

I tested the Lone Wolf guide rod with Gen 4 adapter and 13lb ISMI spring with the 3.8 and 4.0 loads. Both worked well in the gun and shot nicely but the snow chased me home before I could get more than 100rds in. I’m leaning towards the 3.8gr load. My chrono arrived but the weather did not so I’m at a stand still on loading. Casefeeder came in and is set up so that will be nice.

I’ll be ordering a Jager rod for the Gen4. The Lone Wolf seems fine but it’s noisy when hand cycling the slide, I want to see if the Jager is smoother. Then I can put the LW in my Gen 3 as a back up.

I’m now looking at trying some powder coated bullets from Summers Ent. and King’s Shooter supply. I may go back to 124gr bullet as I’ve seen some reports that the 147’s aren’t recommended for barrels over 10” and I plan to get a 9mm AR carbine this summer.

Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
No reason to not use 147gr in carbine bbls. Just make sure you have enough velocity to clear the barrel. That will be somewhere in the 750fps minimum range.

Picture of RoverSig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Riley:
Yep, Dillon taper crimp.

I only ended up with a 3.8 and 4.0 charge for now and bumped the COL to 1.35 as 1.14 would not fit comfortably in the Shield chamber. Too late to shoot tonight.

Did you mean 1.135?

Posts: 1597 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: June 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
Yes, I did mean 1.135 COL. Thanks!

Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
Fun with chrono, CED ProChrono Digital

3-11-18 overcast 40*
Chrono at 10’ from muzzle

10 shot strings.

G17
H 879
L 809
A 849
ES 62
SD 15

CZ Shadow 2
H 901
L 841
AV 883
ES 60
ST 17

147gr Berry’s Plated
3.8gr CFE-P
Blazer once fired
WIN SPP

Barely made 125pf out of the Glock. The CZ was a little faster. It may be just me, but the first shot out of both was only 805 or so. Is that a position issue?

I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
It may be just me, but the first shot out of both was only 805 or so. Is that a position issue?
I doubt it. There isn't a whole lot of extra space in a 9mm.

Of the 147s my Glocks get regularly fed:

147gr Berry's plated
(all case brands)
CCI 500 SPP
4.0 CFE-P
1.130 OAL

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3771 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
Oops, meant position or area shooting through the chrono screens rather than powder position in the case.

I’ll check again as I’m trying a 4.0gr powder charge to make PF.

I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
OK, gotcha. It isn't a position issue in the screens if you are getting a reading.
When the timers are tripped, you get a reading. If one or both aren't, you get nothing or an error code.
(I don't have that same brand of chronograph so don't know exactly how yours displays anomalies)

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3771 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post