New
Find
Notify
Tools

.44 mag advice Login/Join 
Picture of Angel King
posted
Gents,

I've been successfully loading .44 special for a long time using Unique. I load them anywhere from around 5.4gr (very light) to 6.7 (warm). All with 240gr. LSWC or plated.

So I decided to make a few .44 mag rounds to play with using same components.

Based on one manual, starting load was 10gr and max was 11.7gr.

So I loaded mine at 10.3gr using the 240gr LSWC to be near starting but warm.

Here's my question;

After loading the ten rounds, I started having doubt if 10.3gr Unique is too warm. A lot of the forum archives online say stick with 8.5gr. to 9.5gr. to keep it reasonable.

What are your thoughts on 10.3gr. Unique pushing a 240gr boolet? S&W 2.75" .44 mag revolver.

I think going forward, I'll keep them around 9gr., but can I safely I shoot the 10.3gr ones or pull them apart and download to 9gr. ?

Thanks in advance.

An eagle does not capture flies.

Posts: 1080 | Location: Between heaven and hell | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
I believe you are ok, but find a manual and be sure. My plinking load is 7.0 of Unique.

Posts: 5610 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Your 10.3gr of Unique load is more than safe enough to shoot. It will be an "experience" out of a 2.75in bbl. revolver.......but not unsafe. I have a Mod 29 4" model, and it does "spit fire" even when loaded at min. loads.

I used to use Unique powder in 44 Mag, but switched to 2400 for upper end loads.

If you are wanting softer range loads, then lower your bullet weight(185-200gr) and lower your powder load(or type of powder).

Posts: 6600 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Angel King
posted Hide Post
Thank you gents.

Will shoot these off then. And going forward, lowering the charge to around 8.5 to 9gr.

Will also order some 200 grainers.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Angel King,

Posts: 1080 | Location: Between heaven and hell | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Snapping Twig
posted Hide Post
FWIW, I use 9g Unique (flammable dirt) under a 255g RNFP in 45 LC.

Duplicated the original BP load.

Definitely NOT going to over power or be unsafe in a 44 mag.

Big fan of 22g H110/W296 under a Lyman 429244 (265g from my lead). I find this to be @ 1200fps, right in the ballpark EK outlined.

In a magnum case, try 7g W231/HP38 under that bullet. You might like it. Very mild but very hard hitting.

Posts: 2831 | Registered: May 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Angel King
posted Hide Post
It's funny this thread started again. Since writing this question, I went out and tested the 10.3gr. Under a 240gr. load. It was stout, but nothing too exciting.

Tomorrow I'll give my new load a try.

200gr. XTP over 12.3 gr. of Unique at 1.60 OAL.

I'll report back.

posted Hide Post
You are right at the Alliant and Speer maximum. Lyman shows a bit heavier loads.

If you want something "exciting" I suggest one of the slow burning powders like 2400, H110, N110, or AA9.
I did most of my .44 magnum loading with IMR 4227. Dirty and not as high velocity as the others, but a rare case of improving accuracy by changing powder.

Posts: 3278 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Angel King
posted Hide Post
Thank you Jim. I'll try 2400 next.

posted Hide Post
I use 2400 almost exclusively for lead 270gr jacketed all the way down to 215 gr alloy wadcutters.

Posts: 8711 | Registered: January 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
I like 2400 for 44 mag also and it lites with regular primer.

Posts: 22407 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Angel King
posted Hide Post
I'm planning on getting a 629 with 5" barrel, but until then, how does the slower 2400 work out of a 2.75" 69?

Do you get the velocity benefit or just lots of flash n blast?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Angel King:
I'm planning on getting a 629 with 5" barrel, but until then, how does the slower 2400 work out of a 2.75" 69?

Do you get the velocity benefit or just lots of flash n blast?

My 44 mag is used from a lever action rifle. Zero flash - just some smoke from the lead firings. I missed your original post referencing a revolver.

Posts: 8711 | Registered: January 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who Woulda
Ever Thought?
posted Hide Post
I load 44 Mag exclusively with 2400 for both rifle and pistol with lead or jacketed bullets.

Posts: 6587 | Registered: August 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cxm
posted Hide Post
Unique works in the 44 Mag, but it isn't the best choice...

Alliant 2400 has pretty much been the gold standard for powder in heavy 44 Mag loads since the gun was introduced in the Mid 1950s...

If you can find a copy of Elmer Keith's book "Sixguns" you will learn everything you ever wanted to know about the 44 Mag and more...

You can usually find copies of his book on ABE.com

FWIW

Chuck

Hoist on High the Bonny Blue Flag that Bears the Single Star!!!

Certified SIG Armorer
Certified Glock Armorer

Posts: 1346 | Location: Florida, CSA | Registered: September 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post