SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    10mm with blue dot
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

10mm with blue dot Login/Join 
posted
Hi folks,
So here is my issue. I picked up a XDM 10mm 5.25, My loads 10.5 gr blue dot with a 180 gr Hornady HAP. a load I have used in my Colt Delta Elite.
At the range, the XDM was throwing brass well clear of the crime scene. 35-43 ft. I was sitting on a stool at the time as well so you can add some distance if I were standing.
I started with some grave doubts on the XDM's ability to handle the 10mm round in full power. But I wonder if it is due to conditions. The temp was 17deg F or -8C. I know Blue Dot has a reputation for acting squirrely at low temps. and Alliant no longer recommends its use in the .41 mag, a similar sized round, I believe these two tings are related.
Question is. What is your experience with Blue Dot in the 10mm and/or at low temps?

Posts: 35 | Location: us | Registered: May 10, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

My SIG P220-10mm throws Underwood 180gr Gold Dot brass 50ft.

I've tried Blue Dot for lower power hand loads, and it is just not suited for that. Use it for high power loads.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I haven't tried Blue Dot with 10mm but 45 Colt, 38 Super and others like Blue Dot to run hot.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ve used Blue Dot, AA#9, Longshot,Power Pistol, and AA#7 in my 10s and they all throw the brass 30 or more feet. I put a Sprinco system in my STI and it shortens the throw to around 25 feet or less depending upon my hold. I’ve never had issues with any of these powders in the 10, AA#9 was at peak pressure well under max in my 460 S&W, but haven’t had any issues in the 10. Blue Dot is one of my favourites. I just started using Longshot and have not crono’d any loads yet. Seems accurate though. Have not noticed any issues at low temp say down to 35 degrees or so. I don’t shoot at temps lower than that aside from hunting.

Posts: 18 | Registered: November 04, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

I use WST (4.8gr with a 200gr FMJ Precision Delta bullet) for loads I shoot in competition. This is mostly to gain trigger time with the gun. Even so, the lowest I can go is about 177pf and still work the gun against the heavy recoil spring. For full power, I just buy the Underwood loads (180gr Gold Dots). The competition loads throw the brass "only" about 10 ft. Smile The Underwood, as I mentioned above, about 45-50ft.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post