SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    Budget heavy .223 bullets for 1/7 barrels?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Budget heavy .223 bullets for 1/7 barrels? Login/Join 
Inject yourself!
posted
I’m looking for something heavier than a 55gr but still decently priced. These will be shot out of 16” AR15 rifles. Any particular favorites?

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8339 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C-Dubs
posted Hide Post
Here’s one option
Xtreme 62gr

“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”

Posts: 2863 | Location: SE WI | Registered: October 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sellersm
posted Hide Post
Rocky Mountain Reloading sometimes has some. They're working on their own bullet, but it's not ready for prime time yet.

American Reloading may have some.

NorthEast Reloading usually has the bulk Hornady at great prices.

--------------------------------
Prosecute criminals, not guns

http://disciplinare.wordpress.com/

Posts: 67 | Location: COS | Registered: July 10, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Everglades has 62/68/75gr. Web site:

http://www.evergladesammo.com/

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11052 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
About the cheapest I have seen are Prvi bullets at Powder Valley Inc.

They have 55gr FMJ @ $10.50/100, 50gr and 55gr SP @ $10.99/100, 62gr FMJ @ $10.75/100 and 69gr HPBT @ $14.66/100. Those are in stock. They have 75gr HPBT @ $14.66/100 but those are out of stock.

I have zero experience with Prvi bullets.

Posts: 3398 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Your bbl will tell you what it likes, Hornady, Sierra or Nosler 68-69gr. Buy 100 each & give them a go.

IF YOU AREN'T HANDLOADING, YOU AREN'T SHOOTING ENOUGH!
NRA Instruc: Basic Pistol & Met Reloading

Posts: 7789 | Location: ca, usa | Registered: February 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What is the spin rate of your barrel? If you say 1:9, most people will tell you that a 77 grain bullet is not going to be a good option. Most 1:8 will easily handle a 77 grain bullet, and a greater majority of 1:7 will handle a a 77 grain bullet. The flip side is that I have had several 1:7 twist barrels that would not shoot a 52 or 55 grain bullet very good. My standard choice for an Ar is now a 1:8 shooting a 62 or 69 grain bullet.

Posts: 8711 | Registered: January 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
1:7 twist 16” barreled AR15’s. 3 gun, USPSA type stuff.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8339 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post