SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    Preferred powder for both 124gr and 147gr 9mm?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Preferred powder for both 124gr and 147gr 9mm? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Question for jmorris

Congrag on the MA win at Nationals

Clarification please

Where You shooting a 230 grain 9 mm bullet?

Or were you just referring to the versatility of N310 and were shooting .45 at Nationals?

RC

Posts: 1938 | Location: Indiana | Registered: March 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
I feel like I am a unicorn as it seems I am the only person in the world using Alliant Green Dot for 9mm.

I am using it with Precision Delta coated lead bullets, not naked cast bullets.

It burns very clean.

It is inexpensive.

I get excellent accuracy.

Excellent uniformity over a chronograph, which is nice.

A big plus, in my mind, is that a double charge of my load that makes minor PF with 125gr bullets will overflow the case. It has only happened to me once in more than 10 years of loading 9mm.

I don't claim to be an expert when it comes to handloading for handgun. I have been shooting my loads in USPSA and 3-gun for a LONG time now. But I have NOT experimented with a wide assortment of handgun powders in the way that I have with rifle powder.

I use separate toolheads for different cartridges, but if you are using one powder measure, the unique appearance of green dot makes it almost impossible to mix up with a rifle powder unless you just aren't paying any attention at all.

Posts: 14114 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
From another source:

quote:
Alliant Green Dot is an older shotgun powder, also used for handgun loads. Alliant stopped publishing the older handload data using shotgun powders when they intorduced Power Pistol and 300-MP. I use Power Pistol and it is a better powder for handgun loads. Get some. Bullseye and Unique are other old time Alliant Powders that continue to be popular and useful. But the Green Dot data, now available in old manuals, is still valid and useful. If you care to confirm in writing, you can email Alliant here: Ben.Amonette@ATK.COM
Who sent me this:
"Alliant/ ATK-Amonette, Ben <Ben.Amonette@ATK.COM> emailed my these 9mm loads today, including RED DOT!
9mm Luger

115 gr lead bullet
Red Dot start 3.7 grs max 4.2 grs
Bullseye start 4 grs max 4.5 grs
Green Dot start 4.2 grs max 4.7 grs
Unique start 4.5 max 5 grs
Power Pistol start 5 grs max 5.5 grs

115 gr jacketed bullet
Red Dot start 3.8 grs max 4.3 grs
Bullseye start 4 grs max 4.5 grs
Green Dot start 4.2 grs max 4.7 grs
Unique start 4.5 grs max 5.5 grs
Power Pistol start 5.9 grs max 6.3 grs

124/125 gr lead
Red Dot start 3.6 grs max 4.1 grs
Bullseye start 3.8 grs max 4.3 grs
Green Dot start 3.9 grs max 4.4 grs
Unique start 4 grs max 4.5 grs
Power Pistol start 4.8 grs max 5.3 grs

124/125 gr jacketed
Red Dot start 3.7 grs max 4.2 grs
Bullseye start 3.9 grs max 4.3 grs
Green Dot start 4.1 grs max 4.5 grs
Unique start 4.5 grs max 5 grs
Power Pistol start 5 grs max 5.5 grs

147 gr lead
Bullseye start 2.8 grs max 3.3 grs
Green Dot start 3 grs max 3.4 grs
Unique start 3.2 grs max 3.6 grs
Power Pistol start 4 grs max 4.5 grs

147 gr jacketed
Unique start 4 grs max 4.5 grs
Power Pistol start 4.5 grs max 5 grs

Note: Start with the minimum charge wt. Reload just a few and be sure they will properly cycle the action of your pistol before reloading a quantity.

Posts: 14114 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jmorris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Or were you just referring to the versatility of N310 and were shooting .45 at Nationals?

Yes, using it in 45 at the time. I have used if more in 9mm than anything else though.

Posts: 481 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Cor
posted Hide Post
What’s a good recipe for 124 gr. 9mm with tightgroup

"Posterity! You will never know, how much it cost the present Generation, to preserve your Freedom! I hope you will make a good Use of it. If you do not, I shall repent in Heaven, that I ever took half the Pains to preserve it."--John Adams 26 April 1777

Posts: 785 | Location: Lehi, Utah, USA | Registered: August 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
Good info IndianaBoy. I have a jug of Green Dot that I've been needing to use. From the data they sent, it looks like Green Dot splits the difference evenly between Bullseye and Unique in every load.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8202 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cor:
What’s a good recipe for 124 gr. 9mm with tightgroup

I use 3.9-4.1 gr Titegroup under both Xtreme plated and Gallant coated 124/125 gr rn. This works for all of my 9s.

Posts: 164 | Registered: March 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post