SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    Preferred powder for both 124gr and 147gr 9mm?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Preferred powder for both 124gr and 147gr 9mm? Login/Join 
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted
With plated lead bullets, mostly.

What powder do you like that can suffice for both bullet weights? If it works with 165gr .40, that's a plus.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
For std pressure/vel loads, any of the medium burners works; WSF, PP, AA#7, BE86, Unique, Universal, HS6, take your pick. I like WSF in that application but they all work fine.

IF YOU AREN'T HANDLOADING, YOU AREN'T SHOOTING ENOUGH!
NRA Instruc: Basic Pistol & Met Reloading

Posts: 7789 | Location: ca, usa | Registered: February 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have had really good results with Power Pistol, and Unique in all 9mm reloads.

Posts: 6600 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
I’m still working the 124gr load up but so far I’ve been happy with CFE-P in both 147 and 135 grain loads.

I’ve only grouped out to 15 yards and I’ve not tried other powders but maybe this will help. Myers great in the Dillon but is a little sooty at lower charges.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8339 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Let us not forget W231....I have about 13lbs of this stuff left from where I bought 16 lbs so I now use it on all my 9mm 125gr loads now....At 3.5gr per round I have enough to last for a while....

You might be asking yourself - Mark - Why 16 lbs of W231....Because I walked into. A small gun store that had two 8lb jugs for $89 each so I bought both.....Both were still factory sealed....That’s why... Big Grin

Posts: 3239 | Location: MS | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cold Ass Honkey
Picture of Sig Vicious
posted Hide Post
After experimenting with W231, WST, and WSF, I found that, for me, WSF grouped better with 124's but W231 was the winner with 147 grn plated.

124 plated...WSF...4.8 grn...1.125 col

147 plated...W231..3.6 grn...1.165 col

P226

I will probably test some other powders as time allows.

------------------------------
Never fully gruntled.

Posts: 2173 | Location: OR-ee-GUN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

I use WSF, but shoot 147gr only. It works admirably, nice soft shooting at PF+ loads. I've never tried 124gr. In any caliber, for competition reloads, I always go with the heaviest standard bullet. I prefer "heavy and slow" vs "light and fast", for its recoil characteristics.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
AA#7

Posts: 5574 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of huskerlrrp
posted Hide Post
Vihtavuori N320. I hear Alliant Sport Pistol is nearly the same, but cheaper.

Posts: 1788 | Location: North Cackalacky | Registered: September 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of barndg00
posted Hide Post
WSF for both is my go-to, though I use jacketed bullets only. I was able to get more velocity with PowerPistol in the 124 loads, use that when loading Gold Dots.

Posts: 2155 | Location: NC | Registered: January 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

I just read the latest edition of IDPA's Tactical Journal. They had results of the national championship, including components most used by the competitors. For powder (same as last year) it was overwhelmingly TightGroup.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use TiteGroup.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by roberth:
I use TiteGroup.

Yep......I use TiteGroup for 124gr and my suppressed 147gr loads.

Posts: 1096 | Location: Orange Park, FL. | Registered: November 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
HS6 has become my go-to with 124gr plated.

Posts: 2169 | Registered: April 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TRshootem
posted Hide Post
Hs-6 is my go to for 147gr lead or coated at minor PF. Dirty and sooty at this pressure but stupid accurate in my M&P Core 9mm with 8 MOA FF3. I use this combo for USPSA and Steel Challenge. A bit cleaner and snappier recoil with 124's, but accuracy is GTG. I have tried many powders and keep comimg back to HS-6.

Posts: 1320 | Location: Montana | Registered: October 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TRshootem
posted Hide Post
The use of Titegroup is with out a doubt very popular, particularly with 124 gr bullets. I ran it in XD's for several years with great results. I stopped using it with exposed lead base FMJ's when the lead/gas fouled everything including my blood test. Coated, plated and true FMJ certainly reduce this issue.

Posts: 1320 | Location: Montana | Registered: October 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of weekendshooter
posted Hide Post
AA #5 is my go to powder for all non magnum pistol loads.

Posts: 1181 | Location: Eastern PA now and missing Western PA | Registered: September 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
quote:
I just read the latest edition of IDPA's Tactical Journal. They had results of the national championship, including components most used by the competitors. For powder (same as last year) it was overwhelmingly TightGroup.

People will read such things & then think they should use that powder/bullet to up their game. TG is cheap, the over whelming reason so many like it. Me, I am a TG hater for many reasons. I shot & worked nats, 147gr cast/coated & WST. Not the reason I win or lose though. :-)

IF YOU AREN'T HANDLOADING, YOU AREN'T SHOOTING ENOUGH!
NRA Instruc: Basic Pistol & Met Reloading

Posts: 7789 | Location: ca, usa | Registered: February 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Fishjager
posted Hide Post
I used a lot of AA#7 for 124's. But then I got a can and started shooting 147's. Bought a bunch of Bullseye. 3.7gr gives about 950-975. Perfect for a can. Accurate as well.

Posts: 1341 | Location: North of Seattle | Registered: April 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jmorris
posted Hide Post
N310, N320 & titegroup in that order for minor 9mm loads.

Even placed 1st ESR MA at Nationals in ‘09 with 3.8 gn of N310 pushing a 230 gn bullet major.

Posts: 481 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post