SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    Replacement for Unique
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Replacement for Unique Login/Join 
Saluki
posted
I'll start by saying I'm not that discerning a shooter, and I'm happy enough with Unique.

I load for a .327fed and all its smaller siblings, a .41 mag, and 45/70, as well as a few bottle neck cases. I have a single stage, and therefore no desire to do any auto pistol rounds. The little .32's are more than enough finger smashers.

The bottle is empty now, and if there is a better option out there now is the time. This pound lasted 3 years I guess.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5128 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you're happy and it's available.... I'm in the "why change" camp. At 1 pound over three years.....I'd stay where you're at.

If you're bored and want to do load development again....change powders.

Andrew

Duty is the sublimest word in the English Language - Gen Robert E Lee.

Posts: 861 | Registered: May 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
If you are just wanting to try another powder...Hodgdon UNIVERSAL Clays is a good powder.

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10576 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As a good all around powder, Unique is very hard to beat......it just works!!! I can't imagine not having some in the cabinet.

Posts: 6596 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
Thanks, I started with Unique for good reasons I guess. I stick with it I think.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5128 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blue68f100
posted Hide Post
There are a lot of powders in the same burn rate as Unique. I quit using it decades ago due to it's poor metering properties. I changed over to WSF.

David

P229R 9mm, Nitron, Beavertail Frame, Night Sights, DA/SA, SRT & Short Reach Trigger

Posts: 3464 | Location: Piney Woods of East Texas | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Yeah I am in the if you are happy with it don't change, BUT, if you want Unique like performance with better metering, maybe a little less volume, then try WSF or Universal or even AA#5.

IF YOU AREN'T HANDLOADING, YOU AREN'T SHOOTING ENOUGH!
NRA Instruc: Basic Pistol & Met Reloading

Posts: 7789 | Location: ca, usa | Registered: February 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I use both Unique and 4198 in my 45/70s. I prefer 4198. I honestly don't know if it'll fill your other needs, but my rifles love it.

Posts: 19951 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
I would keep on using it if it serves you well.

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3636 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I have nothing against Unique, but usually opt for H Universal instead. I have a bunch on hand, and it meters better.

Posts: 6114 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like WSF and HS-6 in that burn rate. Both meter very well.

Posts: 393 | Location: Florida Gulf Coast | Registered: October 17, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you want to keep loading revolver and .45-70 with the same powder, get some more Unique.

Universal and several others are close enough in behavior to Unique to work as well in your .327 and .41 but you would be in unexplored territory with the .45-70.

Posts: 3276 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted Hide Post
I've been using Unique for nearly 35 years and I don't plan to stop using it as long as it is available. I use it for 38Spl, 9mm, 40 S&W, 45 ACP, 45 Colt and 357 mag.

If I were limited to one handgun powder going forward, it would definitely be Unique.

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
IMR Unequal is almost a direct modern clone of Unique. FWIW, I like Alliant powders, and would just stick with Unique if it's working for you. My understanding was that Alliant updated Unique about 15 years ago to make it cleaner. I'm still burning Unique out of the old cardboard barrels, so I smoke up the place when I use it.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8189 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cxm
posted Hide Post
I don't see any reason to replace Unique... I have used it for over 50 years now... worked well the whole time.

I guess a direct replacement for Unique would be Clay's "Universal." Such a close clone powder charges are mostly interchangeable.

FWIW

CHuck

Hoist on High the Bonny Blue Flag that Bears the Single Star!!!

Certified SIG Armorer
Certified Glock Armorer

Posts: 1346 | Location: Florida, CSA | Registered: September 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have been using Unique since 1972 when I first started reloading. Back then I used a Lee Loader, which was just a group of little spoons that you dipped into the powder and funneled the powder into the case. You never really scooped the same exact amount of powder, but you were still able to produce accurate, decent loads, because Unique is a very forgiving powder.
The powder measure built into my Dillon Square Deal B and even my RCBS powder measure drops Unique powder surprisingly uniformly.

Posts: 393 | Location: Florida Gulf Coast | Registered: October 17, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post