SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    Reloading for 220 Sig
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
Reloading for 220 Sig Login/Join 
Member
posted
I am reloading for a West German 220 Sig. My standard load is 5.5 gr of HP-38 and a 230 Gr. plated bullet. However, I decided for back country in Wyoming I would load a more powerfull round. I have loaded according to Hornady their 230 Gr hard ball and 230 gr H.P. behind 7.4 Gr of Power Pistol. So I thought I would replace the standard recoil spring with a Wolff 22 Pound one. This cycles 100 percent. Am I thinking right about this?
 
Posts: 192 | Location: Littleton, Co. USA | Registered: August 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of markstempski
posted Hide Post
I don’t shoot 230 grainers in my folded slide Sig 220 so don’t have a recipe using them and PowerPistol. I checked Ammoguide and it seems 7.4 grain not max though likely full power. Any pressure signs? I usually go with Sig OE springs but the Wolff springs are great. I especially like their magazine springs. i think you are in fine shape maybe 400 foot pounds of energy.


Mundus Vult Decipi
 
Posts: 1030 | Location: Duvall WA, USA | Registered: February 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Do you have chronograph measurements with that load?


________________________________________

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --
 
Posts: 14768 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
No I do not. Do not plan to use these often. Just loaded them up for protection from beast or man while in back woods.
 
Posts: 192 | Location: Littleton, Co. USA | Registered: August 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markstempski:
I don’t shoot 230 grainers in my folded slide Sig 220 so don’t have a recipe using them and PowerPistol. I checked Ammoguide and it seems 7.4 grain not max though likely full power. Any pressure signs? I usually go with Sig OE springs but the Wolff springs are great. I especially like their magazine springs. i think you are in fine shape maybe 400 foot pounds of energy.


What is the reason you do not use 230 Gr in your folded steel 220. Should I be concerned?
 
Posts: 192 | Location: Littleton, Co. USA | Registered: August 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markstempski:
I don’t shoot 230 grainers in my folded slide Sig 220 so don’t have a recipe using them and PowerPistol. I checked Ammoguide and it seems 7.4 grain not max though likely full power. Any pressure signs? I usually go with Sig OE springs but the Wolff springs are great. I especially like their magazine springs. i think you are in fine shape maybe 400 foot pounds of energy.


I think I was not clear on my first post. I already have the Wolff 22 pound recoil spring and it cycles both of my stated loads 100%.
 
Posts: 192 | Location: Littleton, Co. USA | Registered: August 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Are you looking for a 900fps plus load with the 22lb spring?

If you don't find something that works for you - you could experiment with a hardcast Keith style bullet at lower velocity if it will feed. I would think it would handle the two legged and four legged critters.
 
Posts: 1005 | Location: hampton roads, va. | Registered: October 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jackimoe:
Are you looking for a 900fps plus load with the 22lb spring?

If you don't find something that works for you - you could experiment with a hardcast Keith style bullet at lower velocity if it will feed. I would think it would handle the two legged and four legged critters.


I am not looking for 900 FPS just something with a bit more power then the normal loadings with a 230Gr. The 7.4 Gr of Power Pistol that I loaded has more recoil then the standard stuff.
Using the 22 lb. Wolff recoil spring gives me 100% reliability. If I went with a 230 Gr. hard cast what would be a good load. I have both Unique and 2400?
 
Posts: 192 | Location: Littleton, Co. USA | Registered: August 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of markstempski
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Art in Colorado:
quote:
Originally posted by markstempski:
I don’t shoot 230 grainers in my folded slide Sig 220 so don’t have a recipe using them and PowerPistol. I checked Ammoguide and it seems 7.4 grain not max though likely full power. Any pressure signs? I usually go with Sig OE springs but the Wolff springs are great. I especially like their magazine springs. i think you are in fine shape maybe 400 foot pounds of energy.


What is the reason you do not use 230 Gr in your folded steel 220. Should I be concerned?


No concern I just never got into shooting the flying ashtrays. Likely because I always saw better velocity and hence energy with the 185s. Hard to go wrong with a P220 in 45 ACP. Now with my all steel frame 220 the 230s might be an option. Not recoil sensitive but like being able to do controlled pairs, the extra weight helps.


Mundus Vult Decipi
 
Posts: 1030 | Location: Duvall WA, USA | Registered: February 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Check the Alliant website, IIRC their load with PP is 8.1 with 230s, not rated +P either. I did a ladder test with it a couple years ago, and 8. anything is pretty stout. I settled on 7.5 as being plenty stout enough. The accuracy was great, velocity spread very low, about 7 fps I think. This was done using Hornady 230 gr XTPs. Good carry load.
 
Posts: 1436 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: June 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of markstempski
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Watergoat:
Check the Alliant website, IIRC their load with PP is 8.1 with 230s, not rated +P either. I did a ladder test with it a couple years ago, and 8. anything is pretty stout. I settled on 7.5 as being plenty stout enough. The accuracy was great, velocity spread very low, about 7 fps I think. This was done using Hornady 230 gr XTPs. Good carry load.


Thanks that is what was needed. I used to use PP and loved it and then Obama and used up my 4 pound jug and then Long shot was available first. May have to go back to it.


Mundus Vult Decipi
 
Posts: 1030 | Location: Duvall WA, USA | Registered: February 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata  
 

SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    Reloading for 220 Sig

© SIGforum 2019