SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    Loading HiTek coated bullets?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Loading HiTek coated bullets? Login/Join 
Inject yourself!
posted
I’m looking to try some HiTek coated bullets from Summers Enterprises and looking for suggestions on starting data to use. Start with plated or lead data?

I plan on loading the 145gr RN. I just finished up my Berrys Plated 147s and like that bullet but always looking to save.

Is there a more preferred brand? I’m pretty sure I want to stick with the HiTek coated rather than powder coated.

Primary gun is a CZ Shadow but will be shot in Glocks a lot as well. I’m hoping I don’t have the same issues as a member that needed an aftermarket barrel in his HK to shoot 135gr Bayou Bullets accurately.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Riley,

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8339 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What specific suggestions are you looking for? I don't see any question, as it looks like you have decided on a company for your bullet.

If you are looking for powder, I load my 147's with 3.6 grains of WST at 1.135-1.140. I had been using Bayou, but went with Gallant this past November. I actually just loaded up 1200 rounds yesterday and plan to do 1800 more in the next few days.

Posts: 2156 | Location: St. Louis | Registered: January 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
Donnie Summers produces a good product...if his Hi-Tek coated bullets in 9MM match the quality of his coated bullets in .45 and .357 you will be GTG...I have loaded and shot both his 200 grain .45 RNFP and 130 grain .38/.357 RNFP cast as well as coated in my revolvers and rifles and both are accurate and clean...I just use data for un-plated cast bullets to reload using Hodgdon Clays...they are very consistent in sizing, coating or lube (if uncoated)...

My next order will be 2000 coated bullets to load in .40S&W for my Glocks...I trust his product, based on my experience, to work well...

As with everything, YMMV and every gun is different...but I feel pretty secure that anything I order from him will perform well...

Just my opine Smile

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10580 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
Thanks!

I updated my first post with better questions, manly brand preference and what data to use, lead or plated.

I’ll try a box of each, 135s and 145s. I’m really liking the 147gr plated with CFE-P at about 950fps and a reduced power recoil spring in my Glock so I’d like to try to stay there abouts.

Posts: 8339 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Coated bullets are lead bullets. The coating is really just a better type of lube. So lead data. I gave Summers a try, good bullet. I mostly do my own but like having options for when I don't have time.

IF YOU AREN'T HANDLOADING, YOU AREN'T SHOOTING ENOUGH!
NRA Instruc: Basic Pistol & Met Reloading

Posts: 7789 | Location: ca, usa | Registered: February 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
Makes sense, thanks!

Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
I powder coat my pistol cast pistol bullets,for years.
I discovered very quickly I had to up the powder charge slightly to make the 1911 cycle correctly.
I also noticed less recoil.
I load in 9,40 ,44 ,357 ,38 and 45 apc.
It is a pain in the ass and time consuming to set them on dry wall screws on a jig I made but I cook 900 at a time.
Red from harbor freight works best for me,black is the worst.

Posts: 22407 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Shot 5K or so Black Bullets 147's. Shot OK, on par with plated 147's. Had to increase the flare on the case to keep from scraping off the coating.

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
I use the load data for lead. I have used both Ibejihead and Blue Bullets. both have a coating that is fairly substantial and pulled bullets showed no signs of shaving the coating.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
^ received your email.

I may tweak the flare anyway, it could use just a touch more.

An order of Summers HiTek Coated is on the way.

Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
I received the 145gr HiTek coated bullets from Summer Enterprises today and loaded some up for a test.

Due to the profile, I had to seat a little deeper to fit the CZ Shadow 2 chamber. Looks like 1.128-1.130 is the spot. I also had to tweak the flare ever so little to get a smooth seat.

The 1.135-1.138 starters fit, but there needs a little more margin.

I only loaded about 20 of each length and powder charge and at the longer lengths 3.8gr was just making 130pf. Better at the shorter length but the 4.0gr charge was better still. It’s probably okay at the lower charge as it’s cold now but I feel better at 4.0gr making closer to 135pf.

The CZ is slightly faster than the Glock also, so I want to make sure I’m good with either gun.

None of the loads smoked visibly that I noticed but they had a little different smell. The plates were cleaner handling of course and I expect slightly cleaner in the gun, but I haven’t shot enough to tell.

posted Hide Post
Question: 1) What crimp does one use for coated bullets? Taper crimp or Roll Crimp being used for Auto’s.

I am new at reloading for Semi-Auto’s. Thanks.

Posts: 4 | Registered: December 02, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
taper crimp for semi's

Steve

Posts: 14 | Registered: March 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfpin:
Question: 1) What crimp does one use for coated bullets? Taper crimp or Roll Crimp being used for Auto’s.

I am new at reloading for Semi-Auto’s. Thanks.

Neither. Go with a factory crimp die.

Coated bullets are loaded using hard cast lead data, and like any load, something you should back off and work up to.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post