SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    Must-have upgrade for Hornady Lock-n-Load AP
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Must-have upgrade for Hornady Lock-n-Load AP Login/Join 
posted
If you have a Hornady Lock-n-Load AP, you have undoubtedly broken the primer drive rod bracket. Hornady customer service will send you a new one for free, but it's still a PITA. I found an aftermarket bracket on Amazon that claims to solve the issue. When the primer plunger sticks, now instead of the rod popping out of the bottom only and then breaking the bracket, it will now also pop out of the bracket. It is a simple matter to snap the rod back in without loosening any screws and you are back in business. I have tested it with a "manufactured jam" and it worked as advertised.

https://www.amazon.com/Hornady...racket/dp/B06XVL286K

This breaking of brackets was my only complaint with the press, and now with this in place I can say I am 100% happy with my Hornady press.

------------------------------
"They who would give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin

"So this is how liberty dies; with thunderous applause."
- Senator Amidala (Star Wars III: Revenge of the Sith)

Posts: 1494 | Location: Southwest Ohio | Registered: October 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C-Dubs
posted Hide Post
Broke mine about 3 years ago.
Called Hornady and gave them the serial number of the press, and they said it came with the old style bracket. They sent a new one that was redesigned.
Still working fine today, although I admittedly don't use the press for priming much these days. I do most with hand primer while I'm watching tv.

Sounds like the one you linked to works similarly to their redesign.

“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”

Posts: 2863 | Location: SE WI | Registered: October 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, the one they sent me a year ago looked the same as the one that came on press in 2013, and snapped the same way, as did the previous replacement about two years ago.

"They who would give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 1494 | Location: Southwest Ohio | Registered: October 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C-Dubs
posted Hide Post
Looking at it a bit more closely, I can see the big difference between the one at Amazon and the one that's on my press now.
I haven't had issue with mine popping out since I changed it a few years ago after getting the screw tightened down at the right distance, but I can picture how the slot on the Amazon bracket works.

My press didn't come with a breakaway rod when first purchased, So, the redesign was a big improvement.

Nice to know there's another option if it happens again.

“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”

Posts: 2863 | Location: SE WI | Registered: October 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blue68f100
posted Hide Post
Mine is still the old style, 1 piece rod. I have never upgraded to the new one because I never have had any problem with it. If your jamming up press you do not have something set right. The only time I get any jam is when a primer sticks to the pin during removal. I've fixed that by polishing the pin and rounding the corners.

David

P229R 9mm, Nitron, Beavertail Frame, Night Sights, DA/SA, SRT & Short Reach Trigger

Posts: 3464 | Location: Piney Woods of East Texas | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The issue that this addresses is when the primer seater does not fully retract after seating the primer and it jams the primer shuttle, which causes the primer drive rod to snap out of the bottom and then break the bracket if you don't immediately stop your stroke.

I'll readily admit that this is usually caused by user error, such as not cleaning up after a powder spill, or creating brass shavings by forcing a primer into a pocket that is not clean.

Knowing I could have prevented it doesn't make it any less irritating when it happens. Perhaps even more so, because when I call Hornady for the replacement I'm sure they know it's because I did something dumb.

- Benjamin Franklin