SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    Federal primers are not recommended for use in the Dillon 650
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Federal primers are not recommended for use in the Dillon 650 Login/Join 
posted
I called Dillon for some tech support and parts
for my 650 and the tech support said not to use Federal Primers in the press as they are too sensitive and may go off accidentally

Darn

I would advise anyone with Federal small pistol primers to immediately stop using them and send me your information so I can send you details on how to get them to me so I can help you dispose of them properly and safely.

RC

Posts: 1938 | Location: Indiana | Registered: March 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
That information has been out there for decades.
They used to recommend putting only ten in primer tube.
I always just loaded a hundred in,as it was not a sealed top.
it is in a steel tube and it it did go it would exit toward ceiling.
I also put powder back in ammo can once the hopper was filled.
Bottom line loading ammo can be dangerous and you should practice safety practices.
They are just overly cautious in telling you this,they got to,there are dummies doing crazy stuff looking for a payday at some company's expense.

Posts: 22407 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is likely lawyer driven.

Personally, the dominant primer I use is Federal Premium. I also use CCI regular and CCI Benchrest. Can only recall once that I had a primer detonation and it was only 1 primer.

Andrew

Duty is the sublimest word in the English Language - Gen Robert E Lee.

Posts: 861 | Registered: May 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just bought 1000 Federal Small Match Primers because the Winchesters didn't want to go in without standing on the roller handle of my 650.

Posts: 52 | Location: Pittsburgh | Registered: February 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by inspector710:
I just bought 1000 Federal Small Match Primers because the Winchesters didn't want to go in without standing on the roller handle of my 650.

What caliber are you loading?

Was it just one specific manufacture of brass?

Sometimes it is the brass and not the primers fault.

RC

Posts: 1938 | Location: Indiana | Registered: March 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Wondering if the brass has a crimp on the primer pocket??

Quick method to check (besides visual), take the chamfer tool and give the pocket a few quick turns. Then seat a primer and see if it requires less pressure.

Andrew

Duty is the sublimest word in the English Language - Gen Robert E Lee.

Posts: 861 | Registered: May 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 45 Cal:
it is in a steel tube and it it did go it would exit toward ceiling.

I have experienced one primer cook-off with the 650 (primarily my own error), and it does not just go out the top. It also cooks all of the primers in the feeding tray (the circular thingie) and pretty well destroys the entire primer system, lifts up the shell plate (one primer was wedged underneath it), plus throws the entire press out of adjustment. No personal injury, but a hell of a surprise, and after changing my boxers, I took it back to Dillon. They replaced the entire primer system, shell plate, and other expensive sounding parts. The long invoice totaled $0.00, of course, and the press was in perfect adjustment when I got it back. Thankfully, I live within reasonable driving distance of Dillon.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have had only one Federal primer light off in my 650 press. It was my own fault, and yes, it did get my attention. Nothing was damaged when it happened. I just finished loading over 3K Federal primers last month with zero problems.

I have tuned revolvers that require Federal primers for ignition reliability. I have been loading them for decades, and have only had one(1) go off....and again, that was my fault.

Posts: 6601 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
This is one area where I prefer the L-N-L system with the primer shuffle. It keeps the primer magazine more isolated from the primer being seated.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8202 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
If you poke around the net you will find plenty of examples and photos of people who've had most of the tube go off. Usually embeds the primer ron into the ceiling.

Posts: 21053 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I use every brand primer in my 550 & 650, not an issue really.

IF YOU AREN'T HANDLOADING, YOU AREN'T SHOOTING ENOUGH!
NRA Instruc: Basic Pistol & Met Reloading

Posts: 7789 | Location: ca, usa | Registered: February 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
15 or 20 years ago I had a problem with my 550 trying to feed Federal primers. I called Federal, they told me that their primers tend to give Dillon presses fits. They sent me a check to cover the cost of the 1000 primers. I stick to Winchester or CCI’s now.

Posts: 904 | Registered: July 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RC:
quote:

What caliber are you loading?

Using them for 357 SIG--9 mm and 380.
Was it just one specific manufacture of brass?

Sometimes it is the brass and not the primers fault.

Actually, if you go to the Dillon website and the forum-under 650 press I read where the administrators say go ahead and use them. They are the softest ones, but they said OK.

From Dillon:
Federal primers are more semsitive than other brands, but as long as you don't abuse them they load fine. Pretty much any domestic primers will serve you well. Foreign primers do tend to have more dimensional inconsistancies. Just remember, no matter what brand, if something doesn't feel right, stop and find the problem. Do not push on stuck primers with anything heavier than the plastic follower rod.

Posts: 52 | Location: Pittsburgh | Registered: February 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I only use Federal primers, but I typically am using other presses (I have a 650 but prefer the older ones). Have not had a primer go off. (Knock wood!)

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Wear safety glasses when loading. Problem solved.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17248 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:
Wear safety glasses when loading. Problem solved.

Safety glasses saved me when I had the primer cook-off. After that event, though, I bought myself a full face shield to wear over the glasses. I already had one for grinding with a stand grinder or angle grinders, but I got a new one to keep permanently at the reloading bench.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:

Safety glasses saved me when I had the primer cook-off. After that event, though, I bought myself a full face shield to wear over the glasses. I already had one for grinding with a stand grinder or angle grinders, but I got a new one to keep permanently at the reloading bench.

I'm curious what caused a primer to cook off during reloading. Care to give details?

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17248 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I set off the primers in my 650 in the primer feed disk

It was
My fault, not paying attention and had a issue, don't remember what the exact problem was,

Possible
I was was having a problem with primers not seating correctly and I was trying some different adjustments

but I ended up getting a piece of brass that was not de-primed and tried to shove one primer on top of another

Big Bang and Smoke filled the air, luckily it was only the couple of primers sitting in the disk

RC

Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:
I'm curious what caused a primer to cook off during reloading. Care to give details?

I'm still not sure of the direct cause. I was not actually in the loading process at the time. I was using two empty, already primed cases to work up a new powder charge. Place the primed case in station 2, charge it without the backstroke to seat another primer, do another, and then take out the two cases and measure their charge and divide by 2. Did this several times until the charge was just right. At the time, there were primers in the feeding tube and in the circular tray going around and dropping out onto the "ski ramp". I might have inadvertently tried to prime an already primed case (stupid error if that's what it was). I don't recall doing that before the "surprise". I should have been doing this with no new primers feeding at the same time. It "just happened", could have been an error on my part somewhere, I'm just not sure what it was. But it could have also just been one of those things elsewhere in the primer feeding system.

At any rate, it blew up the entire primer system, wedged primers in the feed tube sideways, warped the circular tray, wedged a primer under the shell plate and damaged the thing below it that bolts to the ram. All live primers in the press at the time fired. I carried it to Dillon, and to their remarkable credit, they replaced the entire primer system, shell plate, piece under the shell plate, and other miscellaneous parts, all on an invoice that totaled $0.00. And of course they adjusted the entire press to new working condition.

When in doubt, mumble

posted Hide Post
I have popped two primers in progressive loaders. One was in my very old CH which I sheared a Federal in because the case slide was sticky after long disuse.
The other was in my 1050 which I crushed several primers in before I got the feed adjusted, only the one fired, though.
Neither was in a position to gang fire the entire primer feed magazine, although I know that does happen.

Reports of gang fires seem more common in the 650 with its elaborate rotary primer feed unlike any other Dillon or any other brand I know of. Hmm.

Posts: 3278 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post