SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    Powder sales?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Powder sales? Login/Join 
posted
So I'm looking for H1000 and my local places don't seem to have it in any real quantity. I'm willing to pay shipping but probably like everyone else don't want to get pantsed on the hazmat. Are there any places that have regular sales around this time or do a yearly hazmat reduction?

Thanks

Posts: 3041 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
It's generally been my experience that, with VERY rare exception, places that offer free or discounted shipping and/or hazmat frequently make up for it on product prices.

Your best bet is to find a place that sells what you want at a price you are willing to pay, and then either order a shitload of it to spread the unit cost of the hazmat over many items, or, find a group of friends who also reload and place one large order.

Good luck.

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
Yep. You can nearly make up the Hazmat vs local purchase from one 8 lb canister from Powder Valley. Buy two and you're money ahead.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8200 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I never really considered buying more than 1 8 lb can but not like I won't eventually shoot it. I may just use it as a time to stock up.

Thanks

Posts: 3041 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
Living in WA, your sales tax is what, over 8%? Right off the bat you'd save $16 a jug in sales taxes, and that's over half of the hazmat. Powder Valley is $184.99 for 8 lbs of H1000, and that's $15 less than most local retailers. Right there is your hazmat fee. Buy a second jug, and it's like getting it $30 off.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8200 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We're actually 9.6% so the savings by shipping actually gets even better. Also yes I'm seeing it for $199 local and 184 online so I think I'll just try to buy powder in bulk and take advantage of the already paid for shipping.

I appreciate the help as always.

Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Anubismp:
We're actually 9.6% so the savings by shipping actually gets even better. Also yes I'm seeing it for $199 local and 184 online so I think I'll just try to buy powder in bulk and take advantage of the already paid for shipping.

I appreciate the help as always.

Most places will ship up to 48# of powder or 20k primers (or a combination thereof) on a single shipping/hazmat charge. Definitely take advantage of that.

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
If you are only buying 1#, then add primers to make up the HM or buy something else you already use. This stuff doesn't go bad.

IF YOU AREN'T HANDLOADING, YOU AREN'T SHOOTING ENOUGH!
NRA Instruc: Basic Pistol & Met Reloading

Posts: 7789 | Location: ca, usa | Registered: February 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Powder Valley is reporting a big shipment of Alliant unloading tomorrow!

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20302 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rduckwor:
Powder Valley is reporting a big shipment of Alliant unloading tomorrow!

RMD

Those new Bofors powders seem to be the same as the new IMR Enduron powders. I would love to give RL16 a try if I hadn't already purchased 32lbs of IMR4451. I did buy an 8lb jug of RL23. At $169.99, it is very economical, but I haven't tried it yet. I think that RL26 is made by Nitrochemie and uses a different tech than RL16/23.

I'd like to see these Alliant powders be more available. They are more economical than the Enduron or the Hodgon Extreme powders, and seem to have similar technology.

BTW, do you have an inside man over in Kansas? How do you know about PV's incoming?

Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
RL-15 & 16, Unique, and Red Dot per their video.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20302 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rduckwor:
RL-15 & 16, Unique, and Red Dot per their video.

RMD

And Bullseye.

The Persian
Picture of PPGMD
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by exx1976:
Most places will ship up to 48# of powder or 20k primers (or a combination thereof) on a single shipping/hazmat charge. Definitely take advantage of that.

I think that might be higher. Because Powder Valley and Midway only charge me one Hazmat fee on my 25k primer orders. And Powder Valley will throw my 16lbs of powder in the same box.

-------
A turbo: Exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens, and you go faster.

Mr. Doom and Gloom
"King in the north!"
"Slow is smooth... and also slow.

Posts: 20052 | Location: At the wall | Registered: February 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PPGMD:
quote:
Originally posted by exx1976:

I think that might be higher. Because Powder Valley and Midway only charge me one Hazmat fee on my 25k primer orders. And Powder Valley will throw my 16lbs of powder in the same box.

Depends on the type of primer. For powder, 48# is the limit. I think federal primers are only 20k due to their packaging, might be as high as 50k for some other brands. But since the only thing I've ordered in the past several years is federal, I didn't want to talk out of school about the limit of other primer brands. Probably should have specified federal primers in my post.

Ymmv. If in doubt, call powder Valley. They are really nice folks.

Picture of Mississippi Dave
posted Hide Post
For me, my break even point ordering from Powder Valley is 10 units. One unit is either a pound of powder or 1k primers. Once I have a combined total over 10 units I am saving money over buying locally. I'll give a friend or two a call to see if they need something as well. So long as I stay under 48 pounds I only get one hazmat charge. Every where it is going to vary a little. Depends on the local prices and state taxes.

Views and opinions I express are not those of my employer or any of their customers.

Posts: 3870 | Location: Central Mississippi | Registered: July 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SGT69
posted Hide Post
Brownells recently had a special with HazMat fee only 70-cents and free shipping over $150.00. I bought an 8-lb. jug of CFE-BLK. It was $20 higher than Powder Valley but I saved the $28.50 HazMat and shipping fees so overall, a savings of about $20. I could buy it local but the cost here would have included 8% sales tax.

I always wait for the free HazMat specials when ordering powder or primers.

Posts: 95 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

Both clubs I belong to (Wickenburg Sportsmen's Club, and the Yavapai Recreation League) order pallet loads of reloading stuff for members, spreading the hazmat fee out over many individual purchases. At WSC, the club itself orders. At YRL, is is one member who has an FFL. To me, this is the way to go for your regular needs. You might check if your local club does this. Join if you need to. They buy from places like Grafs or PV, just in large quantity.

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Anubismp:
I never really considered buying more than 1 8 lb can but not like I won't eventually shoot it. I may just use it as a time to stock up.

Thanks

Add primers, it is what i do to pad hm/sh. For me it is 10 units, 1# of powder or 1000 primers. That splits hm to $2.80 per unit. The sales tax saving easily pays shipping. I save about $35 in price on 8#, $1 on primers. So 10 units is a break even.

IF YOU AREN'T HANDLOADING, YOU AREN'T SHOOTING ENOUGH!
NRA Instruc: Basic Pistol & Met Reloading

Posts: 7789 | Location: ca, usa | Registered: February 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Jeff Bartlett at GIbrass.com has some 8lb containers of h1000.

Posts: 26 | Location: Way Up North, Maine | Registered: April 10, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post