SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    38 and 22 bulles drying out. Can I relube?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

38 and 22 bulles drying out. Can I relube? Login/Join 
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted
I have lead bullet target ammo they's ashing due to age. The 38's are 158gr LSWC, the 22 is 40 gr Ely 10X. I noticed the condition of the ammo once I got to the range, but before I fired much of it. I noticed the 158 LSWC's lost some accuracy at 25 yards, so I lubed the bullets with a cleaning patch and some CLP. Lubing with oil worked out, but I'm wondering if I should be using bullet lube instead? Thanks for any info.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
I’ve never had to relube centerfire ammo (I powder coat now)...but I have had .22LR lube dry out...I keep a bottle of Rooster Jacket water based lube and I’ve dipped the bullet in it making sure the driving bands receive a light coating. It dries hard and quickly and it’s not greasy. I suggested it a friend who shoots bullseye and he treats all of his .22 the day before a match and says it has tightened up his groups as well making bore fouling almost nonexistent Smile
It works well on cast bullets as a clean non tacky bullet lube that is super easy to use...
I add blue food coloring to the bottle of lube to show a complete and even coating...I hang the cartridges bullet down in one of those containers until they dry (I use the Agulia match cartridge dividers...a CCI Minimag box will work too).

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1010286646/

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10580 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post