SIGforum
WHICH POWDER IS BETTER IMR PB OR UNIQUE?

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/840601935/m/8090050124

March 15, 2017, 11:52 AM
STYLUS_407
WHICH POWDER IS BETTER IMR PB OR UNIQUE?
Hey guys, I'm new to reloading and about to begin my first load of 124 gr 9mm. When I bought my Dillion 550B, the guy I bought it from gave me 2 pistol powders, one container of IMR PB, and another of Unique. Which powder would be better? and should I go with first? I know not to mix the powders...Ever ...A little back ground info..I shoot in action matches from time to time, and would be shooting a Sig 226 SSE or a Sig 229 SSE...I would like good accuracy out to 25 yards, or more......Thx

This message has been edited. Last edited by: STYLUS_407,
March 15, 2017, 01:25 PM
jhe888
Unique is a classic for pistol rounds in that range of power. I have used a lot of it in .38 and .45ACP, and even in lighter .357 magnum loads. (There are better choices for the heaviest .357 loads.) You can't go wrong with Unique. The newer formulation is supposed to be a little cleaner burning. I haven't used the new stuff because I still have some from the older formulation, but I never thought Unique was too dirty. A little more dirty than some, but not excessively so.

I haven't used IMR PB. I read one comment that it didn't meter as well for the light charges you would use in 9mm. That could be powder meter specific though. It also seems to be a little more expensive than most comparable powders. Since you have some for free, I am sure it will make some shootable rounds. People like it for .38 Special too. Like Unique, it was designed for shotguns, but works well in lower pressure pistol rounds.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jhe888,

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.
March 15, 2017, 03:46 PM
fredj338
New guy, go with the Unique. PB is pretty fast, IMO not for anything but 9mm minor.

IF YOU AREN'T HANDLOADING, YOU AREN'T SHOOTING ENOUGH!
NRA Instruc: Basic Pistol & Met Reloading
March 15, 2017, 03:55 PM
STYLUS_407
Cool thx, I'll go with the Unique until it runs out. Then use the IMR PB for target loads. Then get more Unique.
March 17, 2017, 04:52 PM
David W
quote:
Originally posted by STYLUS_407:
Cool thx, I'll go with the Unique until it runs out. Then use the IMR PB for target loads. Then get more Unique.

I think 231/HP38 meters much better than Unique, might want to try it as well. It's nice having options.

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles
March 17, 2017, 05:40 PM
jsjac
Unique is a good pistol powder to start with. It is hard to fit a double charge in most cases.
I have shot thousands of round loaded with it.
It seems to meter well in my Dillion powder measurer .
March 17, 2017, 07:10 PM
Gustofer
quote:
Then get more Unique.

Good luck with that.

Big Grin

March 17, 2017, 08:16 PM
jhe888
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
quote:
Then get more Unique.

Good luck with that.

Big Grin

I went in looking for Unique a month ago. I got some Herco instead. It is a little slower-burning than Unique, but serves as a substitute for heavier loads.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.
March 18, 2017, 08:18 AM
hairy2dawg
PV is showing having 1 & 8 lb Unique in stock now. Hopefully this is a sign that the powder shortage is close to fully recovering.
April 30, 2017, 02:13 PM
SierraFoxtrot10
I prefer Unique and I get it cheap at GIBrass.com
April 30, 2017, 07:16 PM
SteveF
isn't PB discontinued now?

Steve
April 30, 2017, 08:36 PM
rg1
Unique works great in 9MM with 124 gr. bullets. I'd choose Unique mainly because there is lots of reload data from all sources and not much with PB
May 04, 2017, 11:08 PM
Bigboreshooter
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
Unique is a classic for pistol rounds in that range of power. I have used a lot of it in .38 and .45ACP, and even in lighter .357 magnum loads. (There are better choices for the heaviest .357 loads.) You can't go wrong with Unique.

^^^THIS^^^

I like Unique with 124gr bullets.

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

May 04, 2017, 11:27 PM
Bigboreshooter
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
quote:
Then get more Unique.

Good luck with that.

Big Grin

I went in looking for Unique a month ago. I got some Herco instead. It is a little slower-burning than Unique, but serves as a substitute for heavier loads.

During the great shortage, I was running low on Unique and could not find any. In looking for a substitute I tried SR4756 with heavy bullets in 40 S&W and 45 ACP. I was beginning to like it, then found out IMR had just discontinued it.

I'm restocked on Unique now, but I'm still trying some other medium burning powders, Power Pistol and AutoComp, to have some alternatives during the next great shortage. Both seem to work OK, but offer no benefit over Unique, to me.

I've always said, if I were limited to just one pistol powder for every gun I shoot, it would be Unique.

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

May 07, 2017, 03:39 PM
noylj
PB is very clean (the cleanest I have ever found), but it is a bit fast for 9x19.
Unique is a "better" powder for 9x19, but it all depends on YOUR gun and what it likes.
The big problem is that PB is dead, so you have all you will probably ever see, and load data for handguns was always hard to find.
June 04, 2017, 08:58 PM
Scooter123
I've found that Unique meters rather poorly in my RCBS Competition Powder Measure. On the other hand IMR 7625 meters wonderfully and I'm still working through a stock built up when it was announced it was being cancelled. Once that is gone I'll either go to Vihtavouri 3N37 or Accurate #5, both which meter very well. Another plus for the Vihtavouri is that it isn't the least bit position sensitive as is SR7625, something I learned when I tried SR7625 in 38 special. Currently the only semi auto caliber I use 3N37 for is for loading 9mm with 147 grain bullets. where the performance is marvelous. For my 124 grain loads I use the SR7625.

I've stopped counting.
June 05, 2017, 07:08 AM
sourdough44
One of my favorite handgun powders is Win-231/HP-38. It meters great, and it's at a versatile burn rate.

Without getting to the big bore Win-296/H-110 for revolvers I use a fair amount of H-Universal then some Titegroup.
July 08, 2017, 02:12 PM
98XJRC
I've also been using Unique for a few years now. I've used it from the start and have had consistently good ammo with 124gr rounds. I've thought about switching as it is a bit dirty imo, but haven't felt the need to actually make the move.
July 12, 2017, 09:32 AM
pbslinger
I was developing a target load for my 10MM DW Razorback and one manual recommended Unique as accurate. I loaded just enough to cycle the slide and no further development was needed. Very accurate load.

I think the load is a little bit more pressure than target loads like 38 special bulls eye loads, and I assume that's why they are so clean.
July 12, 2017, 05:38 PM
Blue68f100
Unique meters so poorly I no longer use it. I switched to WSF which is very close to the same burn rate as unique but is a ball powder that meters superbly. W231 is a good choice too.

David

P229R 9mm, Nitron, Beavertail Frame, Night Sights, DA/SA, SRT & Short Reach Trigger