SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    RCBS Chargemaster Lite @ Brownells on sale (It’s arrived)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

RCBS Chargemaster Lite @ Brownells on sale (It’s arrived) Login/Join 
Not Today
Picture of badcopnodonut!!
posted
If you’ve been wanting to try one out now is the time. It’s on sale for $239 plus they have a code for $20 off and free shipping so $219 to your door.

I just ordered one and will report back after I’ve had a chance to use it. All of the online video reviews I’ve watched have been very positive.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: badcopnodonut!!,

Hi,I'm Buck Melonoma,Moley Russels' wart.

Posts: 2926 | Location: sunflower state | Registered: January 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just got one, will be using it this weekend, hope it lives up to the positive hype I have heard, seen, read about them. My first impressions from unboxing is that they are not kidding about the "lite" part. Very thin, light plastic parts all throughout this thing. Reminds me of a Fisher-Price children's toy. Actually, those seemed to be more robust than the CM Lite. Hoping for the best; maybe it functions like a Dillon product instead of like a Fisher-Price toy? We shall see.

Posts: 695 | Registered: June 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not Today
posted Hide Post
Mine has been in KC since Monday. I hoped to have it by the weekend but I’m losing faith. However the powder tray from Area 419 arrived today so that’s something I guess.

Posts: 2926 | Location: sunflower state | Registered: January 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not Today
posted Hide Post
The scale arrived this morning and appears to have survived the trip.

I let it warm up while I was reading the owners manual and picked RL22 for testing. I’m using a Area 419 powder tray and platen made specifically for the CM Lite, not the factory items.

I ran 40 test charges varying from 19gr to 180gr and not a single under or over charge. And it’s surprisingly quick as well.

I checked the weights thrown from the CM Lite against my Hornady/Pacific beam scale and a Lyman electronic and had no issues.

My initial impressions are very positive.

posted Hide Post
So? Any more info for us? We're all waiting with bated breath here.

How is it working out for you?

Posts: 3398 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not Today
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NikonUser:
So? Any more info for us? We're all waiting with bated breath here.

How is it working out for you?

I haven’t had time to do much else with it Nikon. I’m about to have 7 days off so I will put it to good use and report back. Smile

Not Today
posted Hide Post
I finally had a chance to load some .308 and 7mm08 today. The CM Lite worked out very well. I still checked every load on my beam scale as a safety measure. I don’t think that makes the process any slower because I’m doing it as the next load is dispensing.

The unit seems well made with the exception of the powder drain. It feels very thin and fragile.

The auto dispense feature is great. As soon as the pan is back in it’s place and the scale settles back to zero it starts dispensing the next load. It also keeps track of the number of loads dispensed.

The glass touch screen is very responsive and I had zero difficulty using it.

The RCBS CM Lite works as advertised.

posted Hide Post
Nice review.

Yes, the auto dispense feature has always been a neat one for the ChargeMaster. The Autotrickler/autothrow set up does the same and it's a time saver.

You will find out soon enough that checking each load on the beam scale is superfluous. Do not forget that the CM shows the weight of the charge after it's been dispensed. That will be more precise than whatever beam scale you have in terms of readout.

I like the counting feature that says you really did get 50 loads dispensed and you tray is full of cartridges. One thing I do as a final check is to view the cases from above with a little penlight to make a final visual check to see if all the loads are at the same height in the cases. Then I go to town and seat bullets.

Posts: 3398 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not Today
posted Hide Post
Ive been using the scale quite a bit and its been solid. It has yet to throw a charge over the specified weight. I understand with the Chargemaster, some owners would put a soda straw in the discharge tube to help more evenly trickle the powder. There is no need with the CM lite, the tube has been grooved and it works very well.

The display is backlit and the numbers are easy to read.

Nikon, you were right, I'm no longer checking the loads with my beam scale.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by badcopnodonut!!:
Ive been using the scale quite a bit and its been solid. It has yet to throw a charge over the specified weight. I understand with the Chargemaster, some owners would put a soda straw in the discharge tube to help more evenly trickle the powder. There is no need with the CM lite, the tube has been grooved and it works very well.

The display is backlit and the numbers are easy to read.

Nikon, you were right, I'm no longer checking the loads with my beam scale.

Hi bcnd, that's good news. You seem to be enjoying your CM-lite a lot. If it's anything like mine, it should serve you well for many years.

This past weekend, I shot a partial 600 yard match, partial in the sense that I only had enough rounds to shoot one of three matches, after using a dozen or so rounds to make my brand new barrel aware that it was a barrel. So I helped to run the match as the MD wanted to shoot also. As it turns out, he had a couple of rounds in which he had not dispensed powder, so when he fired, the primer explosion pushed the bullet into the throat and stuck. I always have drop rods with me on the line and we got the bullet out quickly.

Heed my warning earlier about using a flashlight to just check all the cases in the tray to make sure they all have powder at the same level. That's the one item I miss from my CM1500, the counter. But then again, one time I fumbled the case and had to redo the load, which threw the counter off. I had to remember to make sure I reached 51 for that tray. (Hey, I'm old and I need all these aids.)

Not Today
posted Hide Post
Nikon I appreciate the safety warning about checking the cases. I’ve always used a flashlight to check for powder or a possible double charge.

The man that got me started reloading 30 some odd years ago did it right. Smile