SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    Small Pistol Primers in lieu of Small Rifle?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Small Pistol Primers in lieu of Small Rifle? Login/Join 
Picture of NewRiverGeorge
posted
Overheard a discussion today about using small pistol primers to load 223. With the shortages we are facing would this be advised?

NRG

Posts: 23 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: March 29, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
There is some mention on the web, mostly using SR in handgun loads. Most rifle loads will be higher pressure than handgun, could be an issue.

One guy made an informative video on SR in his 9mm, worked fine for him. I realize I’m more talking the sr primers in pistol loads.

Say one loaded mild loads in a 223, could work, never done it. I guess the standard answer is generally no.

I think individual makes of primers can have a harder cup, another factor. I actually may be some testing at some point, controlled batch.

Posts: 6129 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Small pistol primers is the primer to have today as everyone is looking for these....I would recommend you post a - Want To Trade - Ad on your states local gun site(s) stating you have SPP you will trade one for one for SRP...My bet is you will have more opportunities than you have primers...That has been the trend on the local gun sites for my area...Good Luck and the good news is you have what most every reloader wants and needs right now....Mark

Posts: 3239 | Location: MS | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
As a side note, I did see LR primers on the shelf yesterday, $36.99 for 1k. They had a fair bit of powder too. The only thing I bought was Goex FF black powder for an old M-L.

Posts: 6129 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Buy that Classic SIG in All Stainless,
No rail wear will be painless.
Picture of cee_Kamp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NewRiverGeorge:
Overheard a discussion today about using small pistol primers to load 223. With the shortages we are facing would this be advised?

NRG

I would not use small pistol primers in a rifle cartridge unless it was a significantly reduced load. And most folks have no means to measure chamber pressure. The other way, using small rifle primers in a pistol cartridge is good to go.

See my posts here in this thread.
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...935/m/1120009574/p/2

NRA Benefactor Life Member
NRA Instructor
USPSA Chief Range Officer

Posts: 1497 | Registered: December 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NewRiverGeorge:

NRG

Don't even think of doing that. Not only are SPP thinner (and the will pierce in a .223), they are also a little bit shorter so you may get hangfires or missfires.

If you think you can lower the pressure by reducing the load, you are courting other bad issues such as detonation, where the bullet doesn't come out fast enough or at all and the pressure is all on the bolt. Yuck.

Posts: 3398 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
I would not do it.

It fails the cost-benefit analysis.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17244 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post