SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    .257 Weatherby tips ?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.257 Weatherby tips ? Login/Join 
Saluki
posted
Picked up a Weaterby Vanguard today in .257wby.

I keep Reloader-22 on hand and use it in a 300WM and I'm pretty happy with the performance.

A secondary concern is bullet selection. I've been a Nosler Partition fan over the years. I'm ready for something a bit less um, explosive. Honestly, I'm not sure how to approach something with this speed. It's going to be used deer hunting primarily. With antelope being the reason for the reach.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5130 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I've got everything set up to reload for mine including dies and several hundred 110gr Accubonds, but have not done so yet.

I'll be interested to see what kind of response you get here. While I absolutely love the rifle, it's not a real popular round for some reason. Not sure why, as I've killed everything from coyotes to elk with mine.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
Now that I'm actively looking for ammo or supplies I believe it's the cost of entry. I got what I think was a very good deal, enough to offset the cost of brass.

I'm drawn to oddities so I'm used to a bit of drama at the ammo counter. This has been the topper though.

Posts: 5130 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Yeah, retail Weatherby ammo for it is certainly spendy. I've paid nearly $80/box before. That's why I bought the dies and have saved all of my brass. Just need to get to it.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
It sounds like you’re looking for a long range bullet. I’d think the Partition wouldn’t be preferred simply because of the lower BC more so than the terminal performance. Neither deer nor antelope are all that tough. How about a bullet like a Hornady ELD-X or a Berger hunting? Neither is bonded, but is that really an issue at long ranges against smaller game?

I’d probably go with Accubonds if you just must have a bonded bullet. It’s too bad Nosler doesn’t offer the Accubond LR smaller than .264. I’d be curious if the Accubonds tip will deform when launched at Weatherby speeds. Hornady claims to have solved that problem with the ELD-X.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8200 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
I’d be curious if the Accubonds tip will deform when launched at Weatherby speeds.

They work fantastic. The factory loads that I've bought have been the 110gr. Accubonds and they are deadly accurate killers even on large game.

Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Nothing wrong with the good ole Partition but ultra high vel is where the mon metals shine. Other good choices would be bonded like Swift.

IF YOU AREN'T HANDLOADING, YOU AREN'T SHOOTING ENOUGH!
NRA Instruc: Basic Pistol & Met Reloading

Posts: 7789 | Location: ca, usa | Registered: February 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
The Swift A-Frame is on my short list. I have seen enough grenading of the front end of Partition bullets to concern me about close in deer and destroyed meat.

posted Hide Post
Swift 120 grain A-frame if what you want, but RE22 may not be the best powder for it. Also consider the 117 grain Sierra Spitzer Pro Hunter.

Are you looking to dial speed back some in order to prolong barrel life? 3000 fps should still be attainable.

Posts: 8711 | Registered: January 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
Throttled back would be great. I would have been happy with a 268 Roberts. I bought the rifle and accepted the chambering
I’m ate up with powerful rifles. This is to be my antelope and deer hunting rifle. I’ll be sure to look at the Sierra too.