SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    dillion 650 spent primer hack
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

dillion 650 spent primer hack Login/Join 
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted
Tired of having spent primers going everywhere and decided to do a little upgrade. I have seen this basic set up on ebay but decided to do my own. 3/8 clear tubing, a couple of brass barbed fittings , small piece of aluminum plate, couple of 8/32x 1/2 long screws and I'm back in business. I actually had all this stuff in my shop. works great, and I really like using the old powder container as the catch all.

Posts: 5574 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hoping for better pharmaceuticals
Picture of AZSigs
posted Hide Post
You did a nice job with the fix. I just created a lip of electrical tape over the primer cup. Works fine and no primers on the floor.

Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is. NRA Endowment Member . NRA instructor

Posts: 8752 | Location: Peoria, Arizona | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I did a couple of mods to the cup with blue masking tape right after I got my 650 and haven't seen any stray primers flinging around since.

Posts: 1335 | Registered: October 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
I just don't deprime on my 650. Never even put the factory spent primer catcher thingie on there. LOL

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
That is a nice mod.

Posts: 22407 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice mod. A few years ago I purchased the one that was on ebay and installed it. It works like a charm. I have the tubing running into the top on a 1 gallon jar lid that sits on the floor. One can put a TON of primers in a one gallon jar, but I have had to empty it a few times since installation!!

Posts: 6600 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jmorris
posted Hide Post
Primers getting out bugged me too, I kept the cup but added a section of 1/2" box tube.

Did convert a friends machine over to tube though. Loosen the factory bracket and drill out the bottom of a 44mag/spl case, slide it into the slot on the factory bracket and snugg it back up.

If you don't have the ability to drill or a 44.mag/spl case, you could go to homedepot or lowes and get a compression fitting, lots of them come with a brass piece that is perfect for the job. It's so a compression fitting can work on hard plastic hose. It presses up into the hose to make it stiff enough for the compression ring to work.

Posts: 481 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bmo
posted Hide Post
Any idea if something like that could be done for a 550? The messy depriming is one of the reasons I switched to wet tumbling. Wet tumbling is a little overkill for pistol brass though.

Posts: 2653 | Registered: November 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bmo:
Any idea if something like that could be done for a 550? The messy depriming is one of the reasons I switched to wet tumbling. Wet tumbling is a little overkill for pistol brass though.

I use this and it works great. I run the tube into a gallon-sized plastic jug.
http://www.uniquetek.com/product/T1346-550

"You have the right not to be killed..."

The Clash, "Know Your Rights"

Posts: 26978 | Location: Westizzle Virgizzle | Registered: December 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hoping for better pharmaceuticals
Picture of AZSigs
posted Hide Post
While I had my own fixes for these issues, I read the reviews on the spent primer fix and the live primer ski slope issue. Found the items on line from Dillonupgrades and installed them. Tomorrow the new reloading bench will be finished and I will have to try out the new toys.

Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is. NRA Endowment Member . NRA instructor

Posts: 8752 | Location: Peoria, Arizona | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jmorris
posted Hide Post
Doesn't look sexy but if you just want something that works on the live primer ski jump use can use a 1/2" section of the vinyl tubing, you used for the remote bucket. You can see them if they come down but they can't fly off.

Posts: 481 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Now that is a HACK....on the ski jump.

Headed out right now to do that one.

Andrew

Duty is the sublimest word in the English Language - Gen Robert E Lee.

Posts: 861 | Registered: May 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
The Hornady already has a tube you drop into a bucket.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34081 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree with El Cid. I just installed a piece of clear hose onto my ski jump....thanx jmorris!!

Posts: 6600 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post