SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    what did I hear from Hodgdon about IMR Blue
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

what did I hear from Hodgdon about IMR Blue Login/Join 
Banned
posted
Well I can verify that their customer service is willing to argue with you about what an article in their 2018 reloading manual said regarding the new IMR powders that are supposed to be both shotgun and pistol powder “equivalents” to RED dot, blue dot and Green dot. So the short answer is that Blue is for shotgun use only. Wait how is that supposed to work I though was supposed to be cleaner more environmentally friendly replacement for Blue Dot says so in the article. Well no pilgrim. you obviously misread as I did.

Posts: 1258 | Location: Duvall WA, USA | Registered: February 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
It's not just Hodgdon...Alliant advertised Clay Dot as a replacement for Hodgdon Clays...but Alliant will not release any data on metallic cartridges, simply saying it is for shotgun only.

That being said...I, as well as more than a few Cowboy Action shooters, just loaded with it grain for grain using Hodgdon Clays data when Clays was pretty much non-available...nobody blew up a gun, nobody was killed or maimed...of course we generally load toward the bottom to the middle of published data...

Should you do that with Blue? That I can't answer, with Blue Dot being a "magnum" pistol powder as a secondary use over shotgun. But I will say that until Hodgdon or Alliant test load those powders in metallic cartridges...they will never sign off officially saying that it's OK...

As with all things YMMV Smile

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10584 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bisleyblackhawk:
It's not just Hodgdon...Alliant advertised Clay Dot as a replacement for Hodgdon Clays...but Alliant will not release any data on metallic cartridges, simply saying it is for shotgun only.

That being said...I, as well as more than a few Cowboy Action shooters, just loaded with it grain for grain using Hodgdon Clays data when Clays was pretty much non-available...nobody blew up a gun, nobody was killed or maimed...of course we generally load toward the bottom to the middle of published data...

Should you do that with Blue? That I can't answer, with Blue Dot being a "magnum" pistol powder as a secondary use over shotgun. But I will say that until Hodgdon or Alliant test load those powders in metallic cartridges...they will never sign off officially saying that it's OK...

As with all things YMMV Smile

If they had said in the article in their reloading manual that Blue was for shotgun only I would not have bought it. But they said Blue and red and green were to be alternatives to Blue Dot, Red dot and Green Dot. but they didn’t. I emailed the store where I got it to inform them what I heard from Hodgdon. As with all things reloading my mileage varies

Posts: 1258 | Location: Duvall WA, USA | Registered: February 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Just because there is no data doesn't mean it can not be used. Just work up using the next fastest powder data you can find as a start point.
BTW, IMR Red is slightly slower in my testing than Alliant RedDot.

IF YOU AREN'T HANDLOADING, YOU AREN'T SHOOTING ENOUGH!
NRA Instruc: Basic Pistol & Met Reloading

Posts: 7789 | Location: ca, usa | Registered: February 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fredj338:
Just because there is no data doesn't mean it can not be used. Just work up using the next fastest powder data you can find as a start point.
BTW, IMR Red is slightly slower in my testing than Alliant RedDot.

And that is what I will do eventually. Summer is here and Garage is too warm to sit in to reload. May move into back bedroom but I like NOT having to worry about stray loose primers and tha vacuum