SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    .30 M1 Carbine 110 gr. FMJ with H110 and Small rifle Primers?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.30 M1 Carbine 110 gr. FMJ with H110 and Small rifle Primers? Login/Join 
posted
Most books recommend Magnum Small Rifle primers with H110. None are available in my area and haven't been for a while.
Anyone used regular small rifle primers with H110 or 2400?
Suggestions for different powder (not a wide variety in my area). No one has AA#9 either.

PC

This message has been edited. Last edited by: PCWyoming,

Posts: 1332 | Location: NW Wyoming | Registered: November 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blue68f100
posted Hide Post
H110/W296 does require a Mag primer. The 2400 does not.

David

P229R 9mm, Nitron, Beavertail Frame, Night Sights, DA/SA, SRT & Short Reach Trigger

Posts: 3464 | Location: Piney Woods of East Texas | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have never used H110 so I don’t know. For my carbine loads I have used AAC#9 or IMR4227. Both powders don’t have the need for magnum primers. I know you mentioned you have a hard time finding #9 on your turf. See if you can get some 4227. You will like it in the carbine.

Posts: 4022 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I loaded all of my 30 carbine brass with 110gr RNFMJ and 2400 with std primer.....no complaints!!

Posts: 6600 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I reload the M1 Carbine with Winchester 296 and standard primers (CCI 400, Remington 6 1/2, and Wolf standard small rifle primers) with no problems. I live in Florida, and have never shot my carbine in temps below freezing, FWIW.

Posts: 137 | Location: Florida | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Steve in PA
posted Hide Post
I use the same load for my M1 Carbine and do not use magnum primers.

Steve
"The Marines I have seen around the world have, the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945

Posts: 3436 | Location: Northeast PA | Registered: June 05, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
296 and H110 are the same powder.

Posts: 5610 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of m1009
posted Hide Post
Dae Zee, do you have any problems with the crimp? Since it’s a straight walled case? What press do you use? Thanks. It’s been quite a few years since we reloaded 30 carbine.

Posts: 1124 | Registered: September 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maxwayne:
296 and H110 are the same powder.
They are now. Back in the 1980s there were slight difference in them--H110 gave a yellowish flash and 296 gave a bluish one. I think they just now make them both like the old 296.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
You may want to keep an eye on MidwayUSA or Brownells. Sometimes they have sales where they drop the hazmat on primers. You could order a sleeve of magnum primers without the extra cost, and be able to follow the reloading data.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8202 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by m1009:
Dae Zee, do you have any problems with the crimp? Since it’s a straight walled case? What press do you use? Thanks. It’s been quite a few years since we reloaded 30 carbine.

RCBS Rockchucker. No crimp problems. I simply “crimp” enough to remove any case mouth flair. I use Lee dies. Have never trimmed the brass either.

Posts: 137 | Location: Florida | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of m1009
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dae Zee:

RCBS Rockchucker. No crimp problems. I simply “crimp” enough to remove any case mouth flair. I use Lee dies. Have never trimmed the brass either.

Thanks, Dae Zee. Good to know, in case we decide to reload that case again. Smile

Posts: 1124 | Registered: September 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post