SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    What to do with undersized bullets?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What to do with undersized bullets? Login/Join 
Alea iacta est
Picture of exx1976
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by agony:
Yeah I sent a pic of one of their plated 124gr bullets which measures exactly 0.355"

Well, fuck.

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win.

Posts: 15623 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have two boxes of their 124 jacketed which I bought during the Black Friday special weekend. Haven't opened them yet, but will check them when I get home tomorrow afternoon.

A few weeks ago I finished loading and shooting my 1st box of them. They seemed okay, but I didn't mic them. I use a Hornady L-N- L AP, with their bullet feed die, which seems fairly sensitive to varying diameters. In my last run I used the last of the 1st box of jacketed bullets, then continued running with their 124 plated. Didn't have to adjust the bullet feed, so assume they were the same diameter. But, that was an earlier purchased box, so likely not the same lot as the other two I have.

Also, I use a Lee crimp die in the last station, so that may have compensated for smaller diameter, if it existed. They passed my informal push test when I checked the neck tension.

Thanks for the heads up.

Posts: 101 | Location: NW Ohio | Registered: January 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just shoot them. Bullet diameter is very critical with cast, plated, and coated bullets because the surface of these bullets is not strong enough to pick up the required spin from the rifling without full engagement of the bullet, i.e. the proper diameter.

Jacketed bullets are a different matter. The metal jacket is much stronger and can pick up the required spin, even if the bullet is of a slightly smaller diameter.

PS I don't go looking for trouble with my calipers and micrometers (maybe I should). I load the heads and shoot them. The scientific investigation is a follow up to lack of performance at the range.

Posts: 120 | Registered: January 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
problem is these bullets didn't pass the push test. They didn't even sit properly in the case and would fall deep into the case before I even seated them.

I returned the bullets a week and a half ago. They arrived at Xtreme this Tuesday. Still waiting for my refund to show up on my CC account.

"You have the right not to be killed..."

The Clash, "Know Your Rights"

Posts: 26421 | Location: Westizzle Virgizzle | Registered: December 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
problem is these bullets didn't pass the push test. They didn't even sit properly in the case and would fall deep into the case before I even seated them.

I returned the bullets a week and a half ago. They arrived at Xtreme this Tuesday. Still waiting for my refund to show up on my CC account.

I think there is something wrong, perhaps with your resizing die. A difference in bullet diameter of .001 should not cause the problem you are having.

so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
Sizing die is fine.
These bullets were more than .001" discrepancy.

This is one of their plated bullets, which measures as advertised:

Posts: 26421 | Location: Westizzle Virgizzle | Registered: December 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Your OP indicated a diameter of .354 which is about .0015 under for a 9mm jacketed bullet. I don't have any rounds to test but I believe that my resized brass (Dillon die) would support such a bullet. Performance might be questionable.

so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
I use a Dillon die a well.
After I tried loading these the first time I thought perhaps the belling was off so I skipped the bell stage after sizing and the bullets still dropped into the case before even being seated.

I've loaded 3k rounds on the same die since these pics were taken with different bullets and they load fine.

It's not the die.

posted Hide Post
quote:
I use a Dillon die a well.
After I tried loading these the first time I thought perhaps the belling was off so I skipped the bell stage after sizing and the bullets still dropped into the case before even being seated.

I've loaded 3k rounds on the same die since these pics were taken with different bullets and they load fine.

It's not the die.

Just checked my machine which is set up for 9mm. The bullets I am using (Precision 125 gr) are barely .355 and have plenty of support. This would indicate that .354 bullets would also be supported. Are you running your brass all the way into the resizing die?

so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
Finally got my refund from xtreme.
That was a looong 2 months.
Sucks that I can't trust their product anymore.
If they didn't tell me that my measurements--which are clearly 0.354" and even smaller--were up to spec, I'd give them another chance.
Oh well, back to precision delta.

Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:

Give Rocky Mountain Reloading (RMR) a try...very consistent

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 12915 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 9mmepiphany:
quote:

Give Rocky Mountain Reloading (RMR) a try...very consistent

Thanks my friend.
I just put in a small order to try a couple different bullets.

Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks my friend.

What I like is that they are all double plated, which Xtreme charges extra for, and they price you see includes shipping. What they do lack is a great variety of offerings

They usually ship very quickly, although they just moved into a new building, and ship via Priority Mail.

They also just started, last year, turning out in-house FMJ 9mm bullets which are very competitively priced

Posts: 12915 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Thanks my friend.

What I like is that they are all double plated, which Xtreme charges extra for, and they price you see includes shipping. What they do lack is a great variety of offerings

They usually ship very quickly, although they just moved into a new building, and ship via Priority Mail.

They also just started, last year, turning out in-house FMJ 9mm bullets which are very competitively priced

I ordered 250 of each:
147gr RN match plated
124gr FMJ
124gr RN plated
124gr RN match plated

Picture of DsWright
posted Hide Post
I actually owe a great deal to extreeme bullets. They pissed me off with 1k of plated 124grn HP bullets that all measured .354. I contacted them about it and they didn't seem to think that was an issue.

So i basically told them to F off and have started casting and powdercoating ALL my pistol rounds. now $60 gets me about 3k bullets, with a little more time spent.

Had been considering casting for a while, but that was the final straw.

Checked mine with 2 different sets of calibers, using hornady bullets as a control.

Only buying rifle bullets from now on, and guess who isn't getting my business?

Posts: 1079 | Registered: January 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Finally got my refund from xtreme.
That was a looong 2 months.
Sucks that I can't trust their product anymore.

I've been reading so stuff lately that indicates that you might have been lucky to have gotten your refund.

Apparently they're (HMT)having some major issues and are about to be taken over by a bank. They just fired their CEO and laid off 100 employees. they've run out of money and can't get more loans.

Anyone considering making a purchase from them should be aware they there may be issues with both the quality of the product and getting their ordered filled

Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Just shoot them. Bullet diameter is very critical with cast, plated, and coated bullets because the surface of these bullets is not strong enough to pick up the required spin from the rifling without full engagement of the bullet, i.e. the proper diameter.Jacketed bullets are a different matter. The metal jacket is much stronger and can pick up the required spin, even if the bullet is of a slightly smaller diameter.

Well not really. Plated bullets are softer than jacketed. A small bullet is a small bullet, accuracy will always suffer. The amount will vary with the bullet type & gun, but undersized bullets rarely shoot well, often you will get tumbling.
To the OP, just contact Xtrme, they should replace them. They are pretty good to work with. For any future orders, plated are closer to lead bullet than jacketed, Buy 0.356" MINIMUM, even 0.357" will give better accuracy.

IF YOU AREN'T HANDLOADING, YOU AREN'T SHOOTING ENOUGH!
NRA Instruc: Basic Pistol & Met Reloading

Posts: 7615 | Location: ca, usa | Registered: February 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've been reading so stuff lately that indicates that you might have been lucky to have gotten your refund.

Apparently they're (HMT)having some major issues and are about to be taken over by a bank. They just fired their CEO and laid off 100 employees. they've run out of money and can't get more loans.

Anyone considering making a purchase from them should be aware they there may be issues with both the quality of the product and getting their ordered filled

Wow, didn't see that coming. That's too bad, I didn't mind their plated bullets but now that I've loaded and shot my samples from RMR I think I have a new supplier.

Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Just checked my machine which is set up for 9mm. The bullets I am using (Precision 125 gr) are barely .355 and have plenty of support. This would indicate that .354 bullets would also be supported. Are you running your brass all the way into the resizing die?

THis just isn't true with all brass. a 0.001" diff can cause setback issues. So in most instances, a 0.354" bullet will suffer setback with just a bit of pressures pushing on the nose.
Again, 0.355" is a MINIMUM for a jacketed bullet. A plated bullet should be 0.356" or even 0.357", just like a lead bullet.

IF YOU AREN'T HANDLOADING, YOU AREN'T SHOOTING ENOUGH!
NRA Instruc: Basic Pistol & Met Reloading

Posts: 7615 | Location: ca, usa | Registered: February 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post