SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    What to do with undersized bullets?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What to do with undersized bullets? Login/Join 
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted
So I bought several thousand Xtreme Bullets new 124gr jacketed (not plated) bullets. They advertised them as 0.355" diameter, but when I loaded a few today there wasn't enough neck tension to hold them in place.

I measured the bullet diameter, and they are 0.354" instead. Ugh.

I haven't emailed the company yet, but I fear that I'll have to pay to ship them back which won't be cheap.

Is there such a thing as a resizing die that will size a case a little tighter so I can use these bullets?

"You have the right not to be killed..."

The Clash, "Know Your Rights"

Posts: 26051 | Location: Westizzle Virgizzle | Registered: December 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Contact them. They should be replaced at the seller's expense (postage included).

Make sure you let them know you want them replaced, not refunded.

Sentiment without action is the ruin of the soul.

Help, I'm having premonitions of future flashbacks.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

Some people listen to the noise of the world,
And some people listen to the quiet.

Posts: 7227 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
Yup.
I just sent an email.

Posts: 26051 | Location: Westizzle Virgizzle | Registered: December 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of exx1976
posted Hide Post
Agreed, they need to be replaced. It's not only about proper fitment into the case, but you also need them to seal the bore properly to prevent gas from escaping around them. If they are too small, you'll get blowby which will impact both velocity and accuracy. They are worthless.

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win.

Posts: 14847 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It will be interesting to see how Xtreme handles this. I have used them in the past with no problem. Keep us posted.

Posts: 263 | Registered: December 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
I'll give them another day to get back via email. If I don't hear, I'll call tomorrow.

Picture of jmorris
posted Hide Post
You can't run something too small through another size die and make it bigger.

If you were set up to swage bullets you could do that.

But they sent you something you didn't order, you shouldn't have to pay extra to get what you paid for the first time.

Posts: 325 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
agony - any news?

Posts: 7227 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
I got an email from them yesterday stating that they are investigating the issue and will get back to me in a day or two.
If I don't hear from them I'll call on Monday.

The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by agony:
I got an email from them yesterday stating that they are investigating the issue and will get back to me in a day or two.

Maybe they're waiting for the deadline where you cannot use a credit card dispute?

so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
quote:

Maybe they're waiting for the deadline where you cannot use a credit card dispute?

How long is that usually?
They just requested pics of caliper measurements for the bullets. I sent a few pics and a control pic of one of their plated in-spec bullets.
We'll see.

The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
quote:

How long is that usually?
They just requested pics of caliper measurements for the bullets. I sent a few pics and a control pic of one of their plated in-spec bullets.
We'll see.

My understanding is one month.

To be honest though, I have never had the need to dispute a bad vendor.

Picture of 10-7 leo
posted Hide Post
quote:
So I bought several thousand Xtreme Bullets new 124gr jacketed (not plated) bullets. They advertised them as 0.355" diameter, but when I loaded a few today there wasn't enough neck tension to hold them in place.

If these are Lehigh bullets, they have had issues recently with undersized bullets. Glock kaboom

Posts: 1177 | Location: Central Va. | Registered: September 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would be very surprised if they didn't make good.

I called them once with a question about some 9mm bullets regarding accuracy when I first started reloading. They asked for the lot number, I told them it was long gone and not to worry as it was over a year and I was just asking questions before making another order. They sent me 500 free bullets for me to try before I ordered again. Just my experience.

-TVz

Posts: 165 | Location: North of DFW | Registered: May 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of exx1976
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 10-7 leo:
quote:

If these are Lehigh bullets, they have had issues recently with undersized bullets. Glock kaboom

Really? Confused Roll Eyes

Posts: 14847 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 10-7 leo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by exx1976:
quote:
quote:

Lehigh Defense has an Xtreme bullet line. That is why I asked if these were Lehigh bullets.

If this is a well know issue, I apologize. I wasn't aware of it before recently reading a post on a 10mm forum.

A person there mic'd some projectiles he bought and found there were some that were under size. This wasn't the person who made the video, so a few people have experienced this.

If this is strictly limited to 10mm projectiles, I apologize. I figure if it has happened with one caliber, it might have happened with another.

Posts: 1177 | Location: Central Va. | Registered: September 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of exx1976
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by exx1976:
quote:
quote:

Lehigh Defense has an Xtreme bullet line. That is why I asked if these were Lehigh bullets.

If this is a well know issue, I apologize. I wasn't aware of it before recently reading a post on a 10mm forum.

A person there mic'd some projectiles he bought and found there were some that were under size. This wasn't the person who made the video, so a few people have experienced this.

If this is strictly limited to 10mm projectiles, I apologize. I figure if it has happened with one caliber, it might have happened with another.

Xtreme is a bullet manufacturer. You don't read much in here, I gather? Big Grin

so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
Well, after sending them pics of measurements of the bullets on my micrometer, they told me that even though they measured 0.3535" diameter, they were "in spec."
I was like, really?
So they are sending me RMAs to return them for a refund.
Sucks because the price was good.
I think I'll stick with Delta Precision.

Alea iacta est
Picture of exx1976
posted Hide Post
quote:
Well, after sending them pics of measurements of the bullets on my micrometer, they told me that even though they measured 0.3535" diameter, they were "in spec."
I was like, really?
So they are sending me RMAs to return them for a refund.
Sucks because the price was good.
I think I'll stick with Delta Precision.

Just out of sheer curiosity, did you measure any other 9mm bullets of a different brand? To verify your caliper wasn't off by .0015? Either way, still sucks that they consider that in-spec.. If it continues, word will get out, and people won't buy them.

Too bad.

so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
Yeah I sent a pic of one of their plated 124gr bullets which measures exactly 0.355"