SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    hand primers aps
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

hand primers aps Login/Join 
ichi-go ichi-e
Picture of Underworld2086
posted
I was looking at buying a hand primer and the rcbs universal hand primer looks like the clear winner, however rcbs makes 2 other hand primers one that uses shell holder and the other that uses primer strips. Why would you use the aps hand primer over the universal? It looks like you have to seat primers into the strip before loading them into the hand primer. Isn't this another step and a waste of time?

Posts: 696 | Registered: June 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C-Dubs
posted Hide Post
I agree.
Same thing I thought when I was first looking for one.

I went with the universal loader.
Then added a 2nd one a year or so later. I keep one set for small & one for large primers.

“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”

Posts: 2863 | Location: SE WI | Registered: October 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
CCI primers are available already loaded into the strips. They work well and are not sensitive to hand position. Some people really like the sensitivity of seating that the bench primer offers. If you want another brand of primer they do not make as much sense.

Posts: 1190 | Location: Moved to N.W. MT. | Registered: April 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use the regular one from RCBS, the one that uses the shell holders. After trying and using a bunch of different ones over the decades, this one is the best for me for a cross between productivity and precision.

I have heard stories from people using the universal one. Not good stories.

Posts: 3398 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
ichi-go ichi-e
Picture of Underworld2086
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NikonUser

Most of the reviews I've read seem positive. What did you hear exactly?

Posts: 696 | Registered: June 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Underworld2086:
quote:
Originally posted by NikonUser

Most of the reviews I've read seem positive. What did you hear exactly?

It's been a while. From what I remember it had to do with not holding the case solidly all the time. Being finicky. This goes back a few years (4+) but at that time, I opted to get the one I have instead of the universal one because of that and I have not been disappointed at all.

Posts: 3398 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
and this little pig said:
posted Hide Post
Like C-Dubs, I also have two universal priming systems; one set up for small primers and one set up for large. Having two set up like this also gives you "spare parts" in the event of breakage.

I prefer hand-priming as the universal primers are excellent with the seating "feel". Also, they will handle all primers, not just CCI.

Posts: 3396 | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I have the rcbs universal hand primer. It works great and I've been very happy with it (especially once I figured out the trick to the primer flip try!). The only time I've had issues (and then only occasionally) with the ears not properly holding cases was with .223...the small diameter cases and stupid military crimp that occasionally doesn't get reamed out all the way can cause the case to pop out of the holder. I've never had this problem with anything other than crimped 223, though.

Posts: 8421 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Very happy with my Sinclair Hand Primer .

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use a Lee autoprime. I've been using the Lee for a long time. I've been through a few of them, presently using the latest, which has a bit better leverage, but a few more feed problems from time to time.

I notice today, dumping Remington 1 1/2 small pistol through, it seem to feed those better than the CCI500's I've been using. No idea why, but I also get more tipped or inverted, something to watch between brass, with the Remington. Again, not sure why.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post