SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    What is your favorite cleaner for cleaning the press?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is your favorite cleaner for cleaning the press? Login/Join 
Inject yourself!
posted
I’m replacing a few parts on my 650, user error, and want to do some deep cleaning while I have the primer system apart.

I’ve been using some ISO alcohol since it dries quickly, but I wonder if there is something better.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8339 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I usually use brake parts cleaner on a white cloth and follow up with dry lube spray. Anything that gets touched with the BP cleaner always gets a follow-up protective coating of something.

I'll also toss the primer discs from the 650 in the tumbler from time to time.

Mother's mag polish on a white rag does wonders as well for the in-the-white or stainless parts if you haven't tried it. I don't put anything into a contained primer system tube though.

Posts: 1063 | Location: hampton roads, va. | Registered: October 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
I clean my Rockchucker by wiping the ram, applying Superlube grease, stroke it a few times, wipe again and reapply the grease. The pivot points I blow out with air and apply spray Superlube.

Posts: 7437 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hoping for better pharmaceuticals
Picture of AZSigs
posted Hide Post
Courtesy of Brian Enos' website www.brianenos.com Dillon Precision posted the cleaning and lube notes from a 650 lecture. I used MPro7 to clean the debris on my machine and then follow Dillon's suggestions shown below.

"Here are excerpts from my lecture notes on the 650.

Please keep in mind these are for my use when giving seminars, so they are not

in correct grammar. Razzh34r:

4) Cleaning of 650

a) Use 409 or similar detergent cleaner to clean interior of case feeder. Never use petroleum based solvents on any plastics

B) Use alcohol on a small patch to clean interior of primer magazine and pickup tubes.

c) Use orange oil based “Gunk” handcleaner to clean interior of powder hopper, to lighten it after extended powder storage in tube.

d) Use alcohol to wipe off powder bars, and swab out interior of powder measure body where bars slide. Also use alcohol to clean interior of powder drop tube, powder funnel.

e) Use alcohol to periodically wipe off primer disc, primer seating punch.

4)Reassembly of 650, emphasis on lube points

a) lube shaft w/ 30 wt motor oil

B) lube all pivot pins with grease-show grease grooves in pins,lube holes in crank and link arms. Don’t forget mainshaft pivot pin.

c) lightly grease interior of ring indexer, camming surface of ring indexer and indexer block.

d) lightly grease the primer cam on the upper right side of the frame.

e) lightly grease angled cam surface on slide cam

f) lightly grease platform rails where case insert slide rides

g) lightly grease ramp on case insert slide, where camming pin contacts it

h) lightly grease underside of shellplate bolt, where it contacts top of shellplate.

i) lightly grease rails on connector body collar

j) lightly grease roller on connector body collar

k) lightly grease primer disc pin

l) heavily grease underside of station one locator, where it fits into platform extension"

Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is. NRA Endowment Member . NRA instructor

Posts: 8752 | Location: Peoria, Arizona | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
Thanks!

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8339 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post