SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    I Know how to Get Powder OUT of a Case...
Page 1 2 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
I Know how to Get Powder OUT of a Case... Login/Join 
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted
But how dehell do I get powder into a 9mm case without it flowing off the side??

Here's the details:

Single stage loading
RCBS funnel (the green one)
Franklin tray (red)
Unique powder

The problem is the funnel is too deep to contact the rim of the cartridge when the cartridge is set in the tray. Because of this about 1/25 - 1/3 of the powder does not make it into the case.

Any ideas?

Sentiment without action is the ruin of the soul.

Help, I'm having premonitions of future flashbacks.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

Some people listen to the noise of the world,
And some people listen to the quiet.

Posts: 8555 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Report This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
A reloading block/tray that has shallower sections to keep the shorter case from setting too deep...RCBS makes one and IIRC so does Lyman...

http://www.rcbs.com/Products/C...e-Loading-Block.aspx

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 7420 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Report This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bisleyblackhawk:
A reloading block/tray that has shallower sections to keep the shorter case from setting too deep...RCBS makes one and IIRC so does Lyman...

http://www.rcbs.com/Products/C...e-Loading-Block.aspx

Thanks!!!

I actually have one but don't like for .45, .44 and rifles because of how shallow it is for those rounds. Lol

Big Grin

Posts: 8555 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Report This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Try the tray from commercial ammo packaging.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”

Posts: 18709 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Report This Post
Picture of thezoltar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rduckwor:
Try the tray from commercial ammo packaging.

RMD

I use trays from commercial packing. They work, they're usually free at the range. Just check the trash, be green, recycle!

======
...welcome to the barnyard...some animals are more equal than others

Posts: 851 | Location: Utah | Registered: May 29, 2009Report This Post
posted Hide Post
RCBS makes a powder funnel/measuring tray combo. It has a flare on the funnel that rests on the lip of the cartridge case.

"In order to understand recursion, you must first learn the principle of recursion."

Posts: 2528 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: August 23, 2010Report This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Yup, that's the one noted in the second post. Wink

Alea iacta est
Picture of exx1976
posted Hide Post
I'm still trying to figure out why you're using a funnel to put powder in handgun cases...

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win.

Posts: 15652 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Report This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by exx1976:
I'm still trying to figure out why you're using a funnel to put powder in handgun cases...

Because it's too hard to pour directly from the scale pan. Smile

[i]

Posts: 5067 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Report This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of exx1976
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
quote:

Scale pan?! This is why they invented powder throwers.

Posts: 15652 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I found that I MUCH preferred to charge the case, inspect the charge height, and IMMEDIATELY seat a bullet on the case.
I HATE loading trays. I REALLY hated loading trays when I bumped it and several cases toppled over.
I read about folks missing over- and under-charged cases in loading trays, so have no idea how it can be safer.
If you inspect each case, you can't miss a case.
I find I can't bring a case to the press without remembering to inspect the case.
Much better to immediately inspect and seat the bullet--at least for me.
Before my progressive, where I always had the measure mounted on the press (even before case-activated measures were even though about), I never had any issue eliminating the tray and just charging and seating in basically one step.
Otherwise, hold the case to the measure drop tube, charge the case, and place it in the tray.
Or, get a measure designed for charging directly into the case in a tray and NOT need a funnel.

Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Yea, it was sarcasm in agreement with you. I guess I should have used two emoticons, like this. Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

[i]

Alea iacta est
Picture of exx1976
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Yea, it was sarcasm in agreement with you. I guess I should have used two emoticons, like this. Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Ahh, gotcha. Yesterday was a long day. Big Grin

Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
^^ No problem, I've had those days too.

Pistol reloading and powder throws go together [gump] like peas and carrots.[/gump] Indeed, the whole idea of a progressive press is mainly a pistol tool, IMO.

If you're reloading pistol cartridges on a single stage without a throw, you might as well get one of these. It would be just about the same.

[i]

The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:

Trying to get some exact powder loads vice the minute variances seen on powder throws .

I figured it out by using both funnel and large powder throw adapter (plastic tube on bottom). Tedious but acceptable for loading up 50 rds

Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
What's your process line look like?

Do you have a powder charge thrower? Trickler?

Truth is, unless you are near max charge or shooting top level Bullseye, your wasting your time trying to achieve exact charge nirvana in pistol rounds.

Precision rifle, benchrest - yes. Pistol no.

Good Luck,

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”

Posts: 18709 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Report This Post
posted Hide Post
>top level Bullseye

They don't worry about it either.
Mixed cases, standard powder measure--all shooter and the gun.

When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
Picture of rscalzo
posted Hide Post
With the right powder and a steady constant rhythm on the throw of the powder charge, the slight variations are meaningless at handgun ranges.

Unless you are making up test loads, measuring each load separately will make the benefits of hand loading nil.

I've chronoed loads using the standard powder measure on my Dillon and the variation was well within acceptable tolerances.

Trying to drop powder into a 9mm case using a funnel is a PITA.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 4471 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Report This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Doing test loads from min to max in the Speer book. Once I find a load the pistol likes I'll go from there and put together a couple hundred

Picture of xl_target
posted Hide Post
quote:
^^ No problem, I've had those days too.

Pistol reloading and powder throws go together [gump] like peas and carrots.[/gump] Indeed, the whole idea of a progressive press is mainly a pistol tool, IMO.

If you're reloading pistol cartridges on a single stage without a throw, you might as well get one of these. It would be just about the same.

I actually have one of those Lee Loader kits in .280 Rem.
I bought it in the 1980's when I was a poor broke college kid.
It made surprisingly accurate rifle ammunition.

Posts: 2018 | Registered: January 15, 2009Report This Post