SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    Can't find any primers? Make your primers / percussion caps / reload rimfire at home.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can't find any primers? Make your primers / percussion caps / reload rimfire at home. Login/Join 
Buy that Classic SIG in All Stainless,
No rail wear will be painless.
Picture of cee_Kamp
posted
I got a email today from a friend.

The email had a link: https://www.ammoland.com/wp-co...rse202019-06-281.pdf

I personally am not yet at the point that I need to do this, but I will start saving my fired primers.

There is a lot of information at the link, including safety and toxicity information. (46 pages of data)

Most primer compounds have toxic ingredients and are explosive by design.

So if you attempt to try this at home, follow the directions!

NRA Benefactor Life Member
NRA Instructor
USPSA Chief Range Officer

Posts: 1528 | Registered: December 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
I've been watching a few reloading forums where guys are doing this. I've also started saving my spent primers. My research, limited as it is, has shown the process to be safe enough, but very corrosive. I'm saving old primers in case I ever get desperate enough. I hope I never get there.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13950 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
I save mine also but for scrap brass price,got to gallons just waiting for price to go up.
You are better to find an old guy that does not reload these days and deal with it that way.
I have sold some back stock at the current price at Powder valley to local folk.

Posts: 22409 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Luckily I’m still a long ways off from the idea of making primers. If I do start to get towards minimum stock I’ll go to a higher level of conservation.

My stock is high in certain areas, that option is to rotate into that type of platform. As an example is that NIB 7mm-08 that has a bunch of ammo matched & ready. Then there’s a few 30-06’s I don’t use much, supposedly good for most anything.

I have read about ‘the guy with one rifle’, just hasn’t applied here yet.

Posts: 6156 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sourdough44:
Luckily I’m still a long ways off from the idea of making primers. If I do start to get towards minimum stock I’ll go to a higher level of conservation.

My stock is high in certain areas, that option is to rotate into that type of platform. As an example is that NIB 7mm-08 that has a bunch of ammo matched & ready. Then there’s a few 30-06’s I don’t use much, supposedly good for most anything.

I have read about ‘the guy with one rifle’, just hasn’t applied here yet.

One of the guys I shoot with every week has done something like that and now shoots a .44-40 on a regular basis.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
My small primer situation is getting pretty critical. I played with this a couple of months ago and was able to make some ammo that actually worked using a !ethos similar to what he described as H-48...but only about 50% actually fired. The other concern is that it's horribly corrosive, at least the way I did it. It's not a great option, but at least I know it can work if I really really need it. Like others here, I'll probably switch to shooting large primer guns and burn through my stock of those before I resort to this on any significant scale.

Posts: 8534 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My feeling about reloading spent primers is the same as reloading spent 22LR brass.....NOT!!

Posts: 6613 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GT-40DOC:
My feeling about reloading spent primers is the same as reloading spent 22LR brass.....NOT!!

In case you change your mind, here's a link to where you can buy everything you need to reload .22LR

http://22lrreloader.com/design-details/

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post